Quantcast

personal media players?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My pick is the Creative Zen Vision if you use compact flash or have a cf to whatever adapter. I was planning to pick one up before heading to Taiwan this year so I could have movies, tv shows, music, and photo storage space. That flight is too long to go without entertainment and the fact I could store and review pictures on it was a bonus.

That looks awesome, but it's ~$450! :shocked: That's as much as my laptop :)

Whatcha think about Epson P-2000 Digital Media Player on sale for $250.

It appears to do all that I'd want for photos...
A perfect companion to any digital camera, the P-2000 makes it easy to download files to and from any CompactFlash™ or Secure Digital™ memory card through its built-in card slots.
I figure for an extra $130, I could get the photo thing BV suggested in a device that will also serve as my MP3 player, plus video.

Are there other PMPs that have a memory card reader for automatic transfer of photos that y'all like?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Something to think about: the extra $130 more than doubles the cost of the device, and actually exceeds the cost of your camera. MP3 player + video sounds great... until you realize that you've got to haul this large, fairly heavy device around everywhere you want to listen to music. Hell, it's pretty significantly bigger than your camera isn't it?

It's largely personal taste, but after owning a laptop, cell phone and MP3 player that were all on the large/heavy side of things, I'd far rather have a couple independent but compact devices than a big device that does it all.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
A few years ago I got my wife a Archos AV 440. It records TV, plays music, store pictures. Basically a mini PC. It has a CF slot so you can transfer from that. It not cheap ~400 beans.

http://www.hi-tech.com.mt/index.pl/multimedia_devices
Thanks for the feedback! CompUSA as the 404 version for $250. Tho "404" makes me wonder if I'm doomed to lose it ;)

Something to think about...
Excellent points. My current MP3 player is tiny. And yeah, I bought the camera you recommended which is also very small, ~3.5"x2.5"x1" -- size of deck of cards?

I suppose my thought process is that I'll only use it on the plane or in hotel rooms. I can't imagine I'd carry that brick around.

something to think about it.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
30gb Zen Vision W: http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=1907/form_keyword=creative+zen+vision/rd=1

60gb Zen Vision W: http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Creative_Zen_Vision_W_60GB_Portable_Media_Player_Black,__29159424/search=creative+zen+vision

I like it because it can play divx, xvid, wmv, etc. They also make the M version with a smaller screen but more portable. Personally if I'm going to spend 14+ hrs on a flight I want to look at a "decent" screen. The idea when going to Taiwan is to stay awake the whole way (and the whole first day you're there) and with the crap movies they played last year on the flight, it was very difficult. They decided to play the same 6 movies coming back too which made the trip even better.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I got my wife the Zen Vision M for X-Mas. She loves it. The screen is small but not too bad. I have a Zen V Plus (4 gigs, does video) that has a much smaller screen.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
What's the boot time on the Zen? I have an Archos Jukebox recorder 20gig that takes about 30 seconds to boot. I'd like to possibly get something that boots quicker. BTW, must be 20 gigs or higher. I like to keep all my music on the device all the time.