Quantcast

Personality Type and Career Choice

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
firefox spell check to thank for that one, and lack of caring to proof read, and the pre-calc homework in the other window kind of has my attention. Mostly I don't care though
You don't care about accurately communicating your thoughts to others ?

Did your personality test results indicate that you are, in fact, Sarah Palin ?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
High Priced Male Prostitute. I would have guessed Police Officer, Fireman, or Special Forces team leader. Man this changes everything....

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Lots of INTJs here for supposedly making up just 1% of the population. I'm in that bunch.

I'm currently the director of product development for a small software and hardware company. I'd say it's a pretty good fit for my personality. I work from home, however, and I don't think that my personality is the ideal one for that. Someone who likes being around people and will go out of their way to be around them would be better, I think. I can easily go days without talking to almost anyone.

I had another job (I wasn't there long enough to call it a career) for a while that was still technical in nature, but involved a lot of sales. I didn't enjoy doing that nearly as much as what I do now. I've never really had one of those jobs where you can just leave everything at the office, so it did tend to have a less than ideal effect on the rest of my life.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Get'er done there chief.... Just a thought, don't you worry that you might erase something that you just learned by getting high afterwards...
I read an article recently that talked about certain cannabinoids that actually stimulate brain cell generation. ( horrible paraphrasing I admit ) But then I would be assuming that he's not huffing spray paint.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ****ed around allot in high school, then I had the brilliant idea to be a poli-sci major, so I ended up taking calc for econ/business. Now that I'm an engineering major I have to retake a slightly different trig, pre-calc, and calc.
ooooo poll of the day:

how many majors will mooshy go through before he graduates?

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Lots of INTJs here for supposedly making up just 1% of the population. I'm in that bunch.
somehow though i'm not surprised. I don't mean that with any sort of connotation, but I came into this thread as an INTJ sort of expecting to run into a disproportionate amount of us.

edit: it sort of makes sense, think about where we are. We are members of a small hobby(MTB), congregating on an even smaller internet forum (ridemonkey), in a subgroup for people that just want to bull**** with others with similar interests (the lounge). All in all, a very small subset of the population with similar characteristics at least at some level.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ****ed around allot in high school, then I had the brilliant idea to be a poli-sci major, so I ended up taking calc for econ/business. Now that I'm an engineering major I have to retake a slightly different trig, pre-calc, and calc.
also, I "fvcked around a lot" in high school too. but i somehow graduated with a 4.0, and op ten in a class of about 400. so i guess it's all relative.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
also, I "fvcked around a lot" in high school too. but managed to graduate with a 4.0, top ten in a class of about 400. so i guess it's all relative.
this. 3.98 and 13 out of 400. My senior year consisted of 0 and 1st period AP Physics 2, then beirut (beer pong), blunts, and grilled food daily until 8th period AP Calculus... then to work at the Best Buy Tech Bench (pre-geek squad)

dropped out of engineering school 'cuz I hated it. All things considered probably not the best choice.

jon, we'd probably have a lot to chat about @ platty next time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this. 3.98 and 13 out of 400. My senior year consisted of 0 and 1st period AP Physics 2, then beirut (beer pong), blunts, and grilled food daily until 8th period AP Calculus... then to work at the Best Buy Tech Bench (pre-geek squad)

dropped out of engineering school 'cuz I hated it. All things considered probably not the best choice.

jon, we'd probably have a lot to chat about @ platty next time.
probably. by my senior year i ran out of classes to take, so i worked it out with my guidance counselers that i only needed to be in school a little more than half the day (4 out of 7 periods). Luckily there was a branch campus of penn state, so i took a few courses there.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ooooo poll of the day:

how many majors will mooshy go through before he graduates?
I've changed my major once, and I've been on this one for a year now. I really don't see myself changing back, as well as it being super common.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10154383/ns/business-personal_finance/t/college-freshmen-face-major-dilemma/

also, I "fvcked around a lot" in high school too. but i somehow graduated with a 4.0, and op ten in a class of about 400. so i guess it's all relative.
ummmm, there is no way you actually screwed up as much as I did and left with a 4.0. My senior year I think I was averaging cutting 2 full days of class a week.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
INTJ

39-12-25-67

Computer Programming
Natural Science
Engineering
Management

Entrepreneurship
Law
Librarian

Famous People
Stephen Hawking, Andew Grove, Marie Curie, Guy Kawasaki, Igor Sikorsky, Hillary Clinton

Sounds good to me!!! Must be why my job satisfaction is 100%.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've changed my major once, and I've been on this one for a year now. I really don't see myself changing back, as well as it being super common.
well i changed majors 3 times (started computer science, then to IT, finally packaging engineering).

ummmm, there is no way you actually screwed up as much as I did and left with a 4.0. My senior year I think I was averaging cutting 2 full days of class a week.
i'd only skip once a week, but when i was actually in class i was normally asleep, or just flat out not paying attention (reading or playing games on my calculator). my teachers hated that i did that but still passed with flying colors.

sometimes i'd just go hang out at the guidance counselors office and mess around online. they'd just write me passes to go into class late whenever i wanted. they had bigger problems to deal with. senior year i had a permanent pass to leave campus at 1pm (day normally ended at 3:30)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
somehow though i'm not surprised. I don't mean that with any sort of connotation, but I came into this thread as an INTJ sort of expecting to run into a disproportionate amount of us.

edit: it sort of makes sense, think about where we are. We are members of a small hobby(MTB), congregating on an even smaller internet forum (ridemonkey), in a subgroup for people that just want to bull**** with others with similar interests (the lounge). All in all, a very small subset of the population with similar characteristics at least at some level.
I think you're overanalyzing it. We're all white collar types that work at a desk/cube farms and surf the :monkey: all day instead of doing our "highly technical" jobs.;)

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I think you're overanalyzing it. We're all white collar types that work at a desk/cube farms and surf the :monkey: all day instead of doing our "highly technical" jobs.;)
mmm, middle management... so highly technical :rofl:

no job satisfaction here, except for the odd occasion that I need to make a serious course adjustment and things work out well.

Engineer at heart. All i want to do is build racecars :weee:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Trick question? (won't graduate)
bahaha, dude I've got a 3.4 right now. The only 2 schools out here I'm not sure I can get into is Cal Berkeley and Cal Poly

well i changed majors 3 times (started computer science, then to IT, finally packaging engineering).

i'd only skip once a week, but when i was actually in class i was normally asleep, or just flat out not paying attention (reading or playing games on my calculator). my teachers hated that i did that but still passed with flying colors.

sometimes i'd just go hang out at the guidance counselors office and mess around online. they'd just write me passes to go into class late whenever i wanted. they had bigger problems to deal with. senior year i had a permanent pass to leave campus at 1pm (day normally ended at 3:30)
See, I went from a subject that I'm very passionate about, that doesn't pay for ****. Too engineering, which I'm very adept at, carries some of my interest, and has the pay to do what I want with my life.

Sounds more like you were a good kid who buddied up with the counselors, I on the other hand showed up to school drunk on Mondays, because we had beer-bong Mondays. I was a grade A **** up, people were surprised I was never actually failing anything with how little I showed. But then again, I learned my lessons early enough, so now that I'm in college I have yet to skip out on a class.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sounds more like you were a good kid who buddied up with the counselors, I on the other hand showed up to school drunk on Mondays, because we had beer-bong Mondays. I was a grade A **** up, people were surprised I was never actually failing anything with how little I showed. But then again, I learned my lessons early enough, so now that I'm in college I have yet to skip out on a class.
i wasn't so bad i was showing up drunk. but the only reason i was considered good is because i wasn't selling drugs in the bathroom, having sex in the stairwells, calling in bomb threats, or throwing other students through plate glass windows (all of which actually happened). again, its all relative.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Congrats on a 3.4 with classes like pre-calc in college. Your parents must be proud. What do you have a B in...fingerpainting? Maybe sheepherding. Remember, baaa means no.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I changed careers from marketing / development to retail sales management. I like the stability of exempt salary versus contract labor. I work more hours but get more satisfaction out of the work I do.

Eric the blogger switched from sales to emergency medical services a few years back and seem too happy for his own good...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i wasn't so bad i was showing up drunk. but the only reason i was considered good is because i wasn't selling drugs in the bathroom, having sex in the stairwells, calling in bomb threats, or throwing other students through plate glass windows (all of which actually happened). again, its all relative.
I think what you guys are trying to explore here is the difference between mental and emotional retardation.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
ENTJ: "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoy being the boss. 5% of the total population.

Field Marshal Bundy... bitches!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you'd fit right in in my line of of work ;)
:stupid:

If I were a cop, I'd be a dick. Part of me would still love to do it, but part of me would hate myself afterwards.

Master Wong said:
Law Enforcement... is not the macarena. It takes patience. She is like a fine, well-aged prostitute... it takes years to learn her tricks. She is cruel, laughs at you when you are naked, but you keep coming back for more, and more! Why? Because she is the only prostitute I can afford.