Quantcast

Petacchi already out

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Not sure anyone else is following Giro, but Petacchi crashed pretty hard today and is already out of the Giro de Italia with a fractured left knee cap. OUCH! Now who will win the sprints? :rolleyes:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The byline from cyclingnews today:

"Robbie McEwen, you're the best"

Definitely my favorite pure sprinter. Unlike Petacchi, McEwen does not require a leadout train to win...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
sanjuro said:
The byline from cyclingnews today:

"Robbie McEwen, you're the best"

Definitely my favorite pure sprinter. Unlike Petacchi, McEwen does not require a leadout train to win...
Sure he does..... you don't see him the lead up to a sprint all out in the wind on his own.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DRB said:
Sure he does..... you don't see him the lead up to a sprint all out in the wind on his own.
Every sprinter needs a lead-out man to break the wind and fight for the front of the pack. But a true leadout train is 5-7 riders who are motoring at 40mph before a sprinter pulls past his last leadout man with 500 meters to go, ala Cipollini and Saeco Red Train.

McEwen won many TdF stages virtually out of nowhere, as he is fighting thru the last group of sprinters for the finish. I didn't see a Petacchi win unless there was a train of teammates in front of him.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
MMcG said:
who is this Petacchi of which you speak??
A very fast Italian rider that doesn't like to climb.

*108 victories in career:
*e.g. 19 stages Giro d'Italia, 4 stages Tour de France, 17 stages Vuelta a Espana, Milan - Sanremo, winner of point classification Giro d'Italia 2004 and Vuelta a Espana 2005
*2005: 28 Siege
*1. place: Milan -San Remo,
*1. place point classification: Vuelta a Espana
*4 stages Giro d'Italia
*5 stages Vuelta a Espana
*1. place: Vuelta Valenciana
*2. place: Tirreno - Adriatico

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sanjuro said:
Every sprinter needs a lead-out man to break the wind and fight for the front of the pack. But a true leadout train is 5-7 riders who are motoring at 40mph before a sprinter pulls past his last leadout man with 500 meters to go, ala Cipollini and Saeco Red Train.

McEwen won many TdF stages virtually out of nowhere, as he is fighting thru the last group of sprinters for the finish. I didn't see a Petacchi win unless there was a train of teammates in front of him.
McEwen scares me. it's like one moment he's 25 people back the BAM!!!! he's up through the center headed for the win.
crazy man.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
The Toninator said:
McEwen scares me. it's like one moment he's 25 people back the BAM!!!! he's up through the center headed for the win.
crazy man.
Yha, he's the master of hiding and using other teams. Beautiful