Quantcast

Petition for Bike Lanes PLEASE SIGN!!

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
The link is http://www.bikelanes.org/

Please sign it, and also pass it on to as many people as you know off this board..
It will benefit me and many friends in the SC area for daily riding/commuting. Also if things turn out as plan, it will hopefully pass on to other cities.

Thanks!!

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Sorry Ars, but no. Bike lanes in town are even worse than riding on the streets, and there's no way anyone's gonna build bike lanes out in the sticks. The reason we've got so many bike fatalities here isn't that roadies are getting run over right and left, its that people don't know how to ride bikes in traffic.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by wooglin
The reason we've got so many bike fatalities here isn't that roadies are getting run over right and left, its that people don't know how to ride bikes in traffic.
And that people driving cars dont know how to share the road with bikes, the people that think bikes shouldnt be on the roads. Those people are dangerous.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by dwaugh
And that people driving cars dont know how to share the road with bikes, the people that think bikes shouldnt be on the roads. Those people are dangerous.
True, but that's not what I meant. Around here we've got more than our fair share of people riding against traffic. And none of them wear helmets. They aren't cyclists per se, but they get counted in the bike fatalities column.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Most accidents are caused by poor driving, not poor cycling. Folks tend to back off their already poor skills of observation to near zero when they get in a car. I dont like or use bike lanes myself. In this city they have givin drivers another opportunity to make a left turn accross an occupied bike lane. On the other hand, I wouldnt want my kid to ever surf traffic like I do.:monkey:

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
True, but that's not what I meant. Around here we've got more than our fair share of people riding against traffic. And none of them wear helmets. They aren't cyclists per se, but they get counted in the bike fatalities column.
If you went to the link you would of seen that some of that money is going to bike safety and clinics..

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Originally posted by Arsbars
If you went to the link you would of seen that some of that money is going to bike safety and clinics..
That's not what the petition says. It says bike lanes, sidewalks, and driver education, in that order. If they reversed the order I might consider signing.

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
That's not what the petition says. It says bike lanes, sidewalks, and driver education, in that order. If they reversed the order I might consider signing.
I think you've made your freelings clear.

I signed the petition Arsbars. Good work, and I'll try to pass this on.

5cents

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
in the 303/720
I am tempted to sign this petition, but I have to be honest, a bike lane will not make biking safer.

I live in a *gulp* suburb (there I said it) of Denver. We have "Bike lanes" all over the main streets, and all I see them used for is another lane for cars and people making right turns.

The police have put up signs stating "illegal to cross double white lines", which are how they signify bike only lanes.

HA. I t is insane to think that a car will respect bikers, just becasue there is a lane there. What I am in support of, is what I saw in the Netherlands, and other parts of Europe. They put up a concrete divider, between the bike lane and the road. No way for cars to drive in that lane, with out going over the median!!

Sorry, can't sign at this time. Untill cagers respect bikes, no lane will make us safe.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ride on.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
Someone said that it is insane that cars will respect bikers, which is true, but bike lanes still rule.

I still have troubles with cars, and people still get killed here from time to time, but if I'm in a sketchy spot I ride on the sidewalk, then jump to the bike lane to avoid peds.

Totally worth supporting.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
I used to ride my bike in Columbia all the time (I went to middle-high school there). I don't think bike lanes are necessary. In the rural areas there is usually plenty of room on the roads for bikes and cars, and downtown the city is so small there's almost no need to ride a bike to get around. My track team had to work very hard to make a 10 mile loop around the city that didn't overlap itself. I would think it should be more important to get more bike parking throughout the city than bike lanes. Goodluck though...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
signed....

just 5 weeks ago - was riding in the bike lane & got run over by a car :(

May 4, 2004
a computer near you!
I would sign, but over the years I’ve learned not to sign anything you aren’t so sure of, like others have said, a white line can’t keep a biker safe from anything, just like a white line cant keep a car safe. I wish things were different but it’s as plain as black and white, some people just don’t respect others. I wish it were different though.

It would be cool if we could have what parts of Europe have for their bikers, but you got to think about it...our government doesn’t want to part with their precious tax money.
:rolleyes:

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Government is already too big, the last thing I wanna do is give them something else to tax us for. IMHO the building of bike lanes should be a privatized venture as should roads in general.

poisonfrog

Chimp
Jun 11, 2002
sunk on the first response. I signed it, but i am from canada.
If any of you have ever been to Montreal they have some bike lanes that are blocked to ignorant parkers with those steel poles, works their and is cheaper then jersey barries, plus easier to cross the road.

privatization kills.

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
I signed it... living in oregon almost all my life bike lanes and bike paths are common as long as i can remember for the area.. every state should be doing all they can for alternate transportation. Not just the hippy loving liberal ones lol ..

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
dude i would sign it if you had a more resonable place for it. if it was like on a parkway or at a national park or somewhere like that i am all go for it. but here in asheville we just dont have the room to add a second lane around town. i dont know what it is like where you live but thats the sitch up here. and why cant peps in cars be like bikers. we all respect each other just cause we bike no matter what kinda bikin they do. bikers even without knowing each other are friends. but people in cars hate eachother. just the other day i needed some help and ask some people from europe to help and they had no prob lending me some much needed tools to help me fix the prop. so i hope you have some better luck with those bike lanes down there in sc. cause it aint happining up here in nc. peace and keep the respect flowin to bikers and drivers alike. who knows there might be some hope for them.