Quantcast

PF30---->Shimano

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Having not worked in a bike shop in 10 yrs, I've pretty much ignored all the new fancy press fit BBs. I have seen them fail on friend's bikes though.

What's the most solid way to run Shimano cranks on a PF30 frame? There are several options but I'm not thrilled with any of them. Plastic cups seem like trouble and I've seen them fail. Threaded adapter cups seem like one too many interfaces and a recipe for creaking.
I'm thinking I'll just buy a couple 24mm ID Enduro bearings and make myself some cups.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Problem Solvers makes an adapter BB. It also happens to be eccentric, so it gives you something like +- 8mm of adjustment on BB height if you're so inclined. It is a little spendy though. Parlee makes a normal one but I think it only works with road cranks.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Why not take full advantage of the situation and get some BB30 cranks?
The spline and pinch bolt system used by Shimano is superior. It would be cool if Shimano embraced 30mm spindles, but I'd rather have a 24mm spindle than deal with SRAM or any of that other crap

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
The spline and pinch bolt system used by Shimano is superior. It would be cool if Shimano embraced 30mm spindles, but I'd rather have a 24mm spindle than deal with SRAM or any of that other crap

IIRC Shimano spindles are all 22mm spindle diameter, I agree Shimano's interface is superior for longevity and serviceability.