Quantcast

Phoenix riding

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Hey SW Monkeys! I'm heading from Joshua Tree to Phoenix on Friday and wondering about any riding between here and there. Looking for "All Mountain" type riding. Singletrack (aka swoopy) is most welcome. My plan is to be riding Friday afternoon, climb in Queen Creek/Superstition Mountains, riding on Sunday, then heading up to Prescott.

If anyone wants to join us let me know, otherwise trails suggestions are most readily appreciated.

Oh, a good pub is also greatly appreciated. Perhaps some free/cheap camping suggestions too.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Hey SW Monkeys! I'm heading from Joshua Tree to Phoenix on Friday and wondering about any riding between here and there. Looking for "All Mountain" type riding. Singletrack (aka swoopy) is most welcome. My plan is to be riding Friday afternoon, climb in Queen Creek/Superstition Mountains, riding on Sunday, then heading up to Prescott.

If anyone wants to join us let me know, otherwise trails suggestions are most readily appreciated.

Oh, a good pub is also greatly appreciated. Perhaps some free/cheap camping suggestions too.
Best thing to do is head over to the AZ board on MTBR, they have a ton of suggestions for people visiting in a Sticky at the top of the board.

Black Canyon Trail North of Phoenix is supposed to be great for some epic singletrack. I haven't ridden it yet, but I did help build a piece of it.
South Mountain of course, although its pretty busy right now.

The Phoenix Mountain Preserves have some nice gnarly stuff that you have to climb to, including Hairball trail. Pack armor.

Tempe has a bunch of cool pubs, especially on Mill Avenue, although its in full college mode right now.

Hawes Trail in East Mesa is also great, nice swoopy singletrack. There is also a jump pit out there, but you'll have to ask the locals when you get here for directions to that.

:cheers:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Kavu, thanks a ton for the advice. We hit up Hawes the first day and were surprised to see Titus handing out demo bikes all morning. We may not have hit the trails there in the best way, but we had a blast out there. Lots of fun to be on some high end bikes. I was worried I'd hate my Karate Monkey when I returned to it.

Fortunately that was not the case, I enjoyed the simplicity of my v-brake equipped single speed at the North Mountain Preserve later that afternoon. Ripped it up on some fast singletrack and enjoyed some fairly technical descents and climbs. Good riding overall and perfect weather!

Sunday, after a dissapointing attempt to climb at Camelback Mountain we headed out east to ride at McDowell for the afternoon. Trails were smooth and excellent. Despite that I still managed two pinch flats and so my mood was slightly deflated for the last bit of trail. Still, we got in about 3 hours of riding there and had a blast....even on the rockier sections. That trails is f'ing fast!

Good riding is to be had in Phoenix. Definitely a grand place to stop over.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Kavu, thanks a ton for the advice. We hit up Hawes the first day and were surprised to see Titus handing out demo bikes all morning. We may not have hit the trails there in the best way, but we had a blast out there. Lots of fun to be on some high end bikes. I was worried I'd hate my Karate Monkey when I returned to it.

Fortunately that was not the case, I enjoyed the simplicity of my v-brake equipped single speed at the North Mountain Preserve later that afternoon. Ripped it up on some fast singletrack and enjoyed some fairly technical descents and climbs. Good riding overall and perfect weather!

Sunday, after a dissapointing attempt to climb at Camelback Mountain we headed out east to ride at McDowell for the afternoon. Trails were smooth and excellent. Despite that I still managed two pinch flats and so my mood was slightly deflated for the last bit of trail. Still, we got in about 3 hours of riding there and had a blast....even on the rockier sections. That trails is f'ing fast!

Good riding is to be had in Phoenix. Definitely a grand place to stop over.
:thumb:

Glad you had a good time!

Lots of good trail riding in AZ!