Quantcast

Phone advice?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
It's that "new every two" discount time and I've narrowed my choices down to a LG Chocolate [vx8550] or the Motorola Krzr K1m. Both have decent enough reviews but I'm wondering if anyone on here has some real world experience or other profound monkey wisdom. I'll use it more for a music player than a phone so I'm leaning toward the LG. But the battery life is supposed to be significantly better in the Moto. Doesn't the Moto work as an mp3 player as well? Please chime in with any thing ya got - even a link to a good review site would help as I'm stuck. :huh: Thanks

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the Chocolate feels cheap. i liked everything about the Krzr...except the fact that it was a flip phone. so i went with a Slvr.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i'm in the same boat. i'm digging the new chocolate. does anyone know if you can add mp3s to the phone, or do they have to be purchased thru the Vcast thing?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I think both the LG Chocolate and the KRZR K1M support MP3 and sync with Windows Media Player via USB.

I've had the Motorola KRZR since April of this year and have been generally happy with it. I haven't used the music capabilities one bit though. One thing to keep in mind with the KRZR is that it doesn't have a standard headphone jack, only a mini-USB port. I can't remember if the included adapter is for a wired (non-Bluetooth) headset or for headphones. So you either have to get an adapter or headphones with a mini-USB connector. It does have a slot for a microSD memory card though which is nice.

As a phone though, it works just fine. The call quality is generally pretty good and I like the Motorola user interface just fine. The speakerphone isn't all that though. I usually have to shout in order for the caller on the other end to hear me. The Bluetooth works well with iSync on Mac OS X and allows me to wirelessly synch up my contacts/phone numbers between the KRZR and my Macbook Pro. This was super handy when I first got the phone and it saved me a lot of time re-entering numbers manually. The camera is ok - nothing spectacular. It's held up well to numerous drops onto the floor and pavement. The front face of the KRZR smudges easily but nothing a quick wipe on the shirt sleeve doesn't remedy. Its slim form factor is nice.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There are two versions of the Chocolate. The new one (LG VX8550) is significantly better than the first generation model.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have the chocolate. It's good; screen quality is awsome. The slide thing is new to me and I like it WAY better than the flip and simple "screen and buttons".

I think mine is the "older" version, so I hear the new one is better. You should go with it.

Concerning the MP3 thing well, it's a bit fkup (at least here with Telus). So, if you wanna put your mp3's on your phone, you've gotta buy a MicroSD card (and a reader) and then transfer then on your phone.

OR, you can always go on their crappy website and try DL some TOP 5 pop music of something!

+++ If you go on the WWW with your phone to DL the MP3's, you are going to get charged up you ass.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
thanks y'all. got the new choco for the wifey and she likes it. ordered a 2Gb microSD card w/reader from Buy for $20.