Quantcast

Phone Interviews suck...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
..especially if it is for an mechanical engineering position. Engineers have a hard enough time communicating what they do person to person. How the hell can we do it over the phone?

I suppose I'll find out how it went tomorrow :monkey:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
dude i just had a couple phone interviews and loved them!!
(also ME, graduating in 2 weeks!!)
i find sitting like i am at a face to face interview works well to keep me focused, it must have worked cause i was called in for a second interview and got the position! start january 3rd!!
good luck man!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Phone interviews are actually BETTER than person to person IMO. When I interviewed for my current job I did 2 phoners before they flew me out to see them.

The reason it's easier - you can have a list of discussion topics/questions right in front of you. You write down experiences, names, situations, projects, etc - anything that you think would be a good discussion topic that shows you're a good candidate. Hell I had 2 pages worth of material in front of me - there was never a lull (i.e dead air) in the conversation, and since I had researched the company- I had several questions (they love it when you have GOOD questions).

Obviously it worked... and I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm in journalism, so I have to conduct lots of phone interviews. People get so nervous and are hesitant to open up and talk about themselves. So, don't feel bad. I'm not even hiring people and they have a hard time talking to me.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Got the Job! Starting as a 6 month contract, may lead to permanent position. Although I would really like to stay in New England so I may just do the contract for experience and then try to get back up here.

So I'm afraid to ask. Any DH'ing or :monkey: 's near Delaware :oink:

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I had a technical phone interview the other day. I was bombarded with insanely specific tech questions for an hour and a half as I was driving down the highway.

Talk about stressfull...

-Adam

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Inclag said:
Got the Job! Starting as a 6 month contract, may lead to permanent position. Although I would really like to stay in New England so I may just do the contract for experience and then try to get back up here.

Congrats. What kind of work is it going to be?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Inclag, Congrats!

I just got a call to have my 3rd phone interview for a new job. The 1st was with the company's in-house recruiter and the 2nd was with the director of the dept that I would be in. Personally, I thought the 2nd went horribly and didn't expect anything more to come of it, but I just got a call from the recruiter to set up a 3rd phone interview with one of the team members I would be working with. Go figure.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Inclag said:

Wait a minute. Delaware? Does this leave a vacancy on the team??? You havent even started yet:sneaky:

Oh yeah, conrats!:thumb:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The company is ILC Dover, and from what I gathered in the condensed 40 minute 4 manager conference phone interview that I did (yuck!) they hire most of their new hires this way which I found kind of interesting. Anyway, they made the spacesuit, the landing airbags for the Mars Space Rover, and specialize in a plethora of other high end softgood devices as well as other products. Definately some cool sounding work.

The one thing that sucks is that they were looking to hire immediately and want me down there by Dec. 12th. I went from not even knowing this company existed to being offered a job there within 24 hours! The other thing that kind of makes me a little sick to my stomach is that I would be moving away from MA, which I honestly love. Family and friends are real important to me and just going on a whim sucks. Like I said though, I may very well just do the 6 month contract and then apply back for a position back in MA.

And now after running back from Staples to get an ink cartridge so I can print, fill-out, and fax all the forms that I need, guess what I see when I go check my e-mail to see if the contractor sent me these forms? Yep, you guessed right! To compound my problems, I was e-mailed an offer to interview with a company in MA which would be my first legit interview not set-up by my college or through contacts that I have, but through hard work. F@ck!!!!

I don't know how you older folks do it, but the real world sucks!!!!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
schwaaa31 said:
Wait a minute. Delaware? Does this leave a vacancy on the team??? You havent even started yet:sneaky:

Oh yeah, conrats!:thumb:
Thanks and...

...Hell no!!! You guys are sending me that free Wachusett booze no matter where I may end up in the country!

But seriously, unless this ends up being a dream job or I meet some Jenna Jameson look alike down there I think my intentions are going to be to use this job as a stepping stone and get back up to MA and find work here next year.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Polandspring88 said:
Congrats on the job Dave. Good luck down in Delaware.
How's it going? I never got to hook up and ride with you this year which kinda sucks. You planning on going anywhere for IQP?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Inclag said:
How's it going? I never got to hook up and ride with you this year which kinda sucks. You planning on going anywhere for IQP?
Hopefully, looking at going out of country like my brother. Not to Australia of course, but somewhere other than here. Might be fun to travel.

Was a shame we didn't hook up, but I think the one day you were doing shuttle runs, and Joe was there too, a lady friend was paying me a visit. My bad, we'll have to ride sometime next year if you are still around.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Polandspring88 said:
Hopefully, looking at going out of country like my brother. Not to Australia of course, but somewhere other than here. Might be fun to travel.

Was a shame we didn't hook up, but I think the one day you were doing shuttle runs, and Joe was there too, a lady friend was paying me a visit. My bad, we'll have to ride sometime next year if you are still around.
I'm hoping that I'll be around. If not, Diablo is about midway between us :thumb:

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
N8 said:
Good luck with that!

Only two states, Delaware and Florida, are flatter than Louisiana!!!

:p!!!
http://rr.securelink.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1564

check that out. i was down there only 2.5 hrs away and like a jackass i missed it! :(

yes this is florida...hard to believe, but there is actually some pretty kick ass riding at a couple of these trails.

edit:
congrats on the job offer/s

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
You know 6 months ends in June..... Good time to take the summer off and get a job back up north for the fall. Congrats Man. Now go give Sully a call and get that Rotec on order.......