Quantcast

photo editing software

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
got the wife a new (windows) laptop, looking to get some photo editing / manipulation software. she doesn't want to pay for a subscription (nor do I), so that seems to rule out most adobe products these days. does adobe sell anything with a standalone (non-subscription) license besides acrobat anymore? been a while since i looked into this kind of software.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Luminar AI is your choice, its a one time pay deal so no subscription format but I would say it is literally the next best thing to the adobe suite. Plus it is very intuitive for all experience levels with all the feature LR would have if you need them.
cool, i will check that out.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
cool, i will check that out.
I have been using the rest of the suite since their inception and using AI since it was a kickstarter a few years ago or so. I actually use AI solely for its landscape and portrait features since it is a much faster workflow than the adobe products believe it or not. If I hadn't been so invested into the adobe suite with years of presets and workflows I would drop adobe, its that good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have been using the rest of the suite since their inception and using AI since it was a kickstarter a few years ago or so. I actually use AI solely for its landscape and portrait features since it is a much faster workflow than the adobe products believe it or not. If I hadn't been so invested into the adobe suite with years of presets and workflows I would drop adobe, its that good.
i will definitely check it out, plus its on sale right now.

does it do any sort of illustration / design sort of editing? basic stuff like using a picture to make something like an xmas card? or is it strictly image editing?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
i will definitely check it out, plus its on sale right now.

does it do any sort of illustration / design sort of editing? basic stuff like using a picture to make something like an xmas card? or is it strictly image editing?
You are getting into the PS or illustrator realm there. It is mostly an editor that has all the PS style elements for image editing. Once you edit your image you then export to the graphic design app of your choice. If you are a mac user pages works fine for making cards as does word, there are a ton of free templates online for those apps. I use smugmug to make my cards but it is a paid subscription.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You are getting into the PS or illustrator realm there. It is mostly an editor that has all the PS style elements for image editing. Once you edit your image you then export to the graphic design app of your choice. If you are a mac user pages works fine for making cards as does word, there are a ton of free templates online for those apps. I use smugmug to make my cards but it is a paid subscription.
ok gotcha, i kinda figured as much, just wanted to confirm. i'd be fine with getting something more graphic design oriented as well.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
For strictly photo editing, DXO is pretty nice as well, and has some rather magic noise processing algorithms.

I mostly use Photoshop and am okay with the subscription fee. $12/month gets me Adobe Camera RAW, Photoshop, and Lightroom with perpetual upgrades, and I can kill that subscription at any time with no vendor lock-in, so it's a decent deal as far as I'm concerned.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For strictly photo editing, DXO is pretty nice as well, and has some rather magic noise processing algorithms.

I mostly use Photoshop and am okay with the subscription fee. $12/month gets me Adobe Camera RAW, Photoshop, and Lightroom with perpetual upgrades, and I can kill that subscription at any time with no vendor lock-in, so it's a decent deal as far as I'm concerned.
based on how often it would be used (and only just for home use) the subscription model doesn't really make sense for us.