Quantcast

Photo folks: Any free alternatives to PTgui for stitching?

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Any free alternatives to PTgui for stitching? I downloaded PTgui, and it works quite well, but I can't cough up $75 for the software right now, especially given how rarely I do panoramas.

Thanks for any advice.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I haven't used it personally, but here's an email my dad sent me several months back for some software he used:

Also, here is some terrific panorama software. Thought you would like to try it. It works on those problem photos that have little contrast, and will also work on any combination of photos, not just horizontally arranged. Web site is interesting. Can up the resolution in the Edit-Options, and select the photos by highlighting in File-Open. Always creates the file pano.jpg, and will overwrite the previous one. Not meant as a commercial product as they are trying to get someone interested in buying it and incorporating in something else.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html
Hope that helps!

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
binary visions said:
I haven't used it personally, but here's an email my dad sent me several months back for some software he used:

Hope that helps!

I use autostitch and it works great. I have a stitcher that comes with photoshop that sucks ass and never gets anything right. Autostitch does it faster and better and is free.

Here's one I did from this weekend:

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR

Wow. Worked great and VERY QUICKLY. Here is the Dart Glacier in New Zealand, outside of Glenorchy (close to queenstown) on the south island. Pretty Pretty.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Wow! That's a hell of a lot better than some dumb bridge in Maryland!

Hint: If autostitch says that the "demo has expired", it means they have updated it and you'll need to download a new version. They update it pretty regularly and I've had to reload it 2 or 3 times already.

Have (more) fun with it!