Quantcast

Photo Monkeys: How do you carry your SLR on your bike?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm trying to figure out how to carry my Nikon SLR on my bike when we head out to Moab end of March. It does video, does great photos, and it shoots a hell of a lot better than any of the point and shoots we have.

Is there a good way to carry my SLR on my back? I was thinking of a Pelican case, the local gun place has a good deal going on them. Put the body and a lens in there, snap them together when I want to take photos, and Robert's your mother's brother.

Would this work? I love my camera, would really rather not turn it into a $1600 pile of plastic and parts, but I want some good shots from our trip.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I have a Dakine Sequence pack, holds 2 bodies with all of the rest of the stuff to make them work. I ride DH with the pack as well as ski. I have crashed with it on and nothing other than myself have broken.

F-stop makes some sweets packs. . . wait for rooofy to nut all over them.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm like the less talented friend who documents things for the group.
Well actually, I'm not like that. That's what I am.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have ridden some of the more awesome trails in the Zion/Virgin/Brian Head UT area with a 2- large-aperture lens and medium SLR setup using a Burton Zoom photo-backpack (now discontinued, but there are many other backpack options).

I strongly recommend against it, unless you're going as focused on being a photographer and not a rider. The SLR is too big and bulky and affects your riding, especially since you're conscious of the big price tag you're carrying on your back in some serious terrain which demands your full attention and control. It also takes a huge amount of time to un-ass the camera from the case and get set up to shoot. Doesn't seem that way when you practice in your living room or garage, but on the trail, you'll end up seeing cool stuff and not stopping to shoot because an extra 30 seconds to get the damned thing out again is just going to annoy you more than you want. Not to mention having to put it away.

Could be mitigated by using some of the faster-opening setups out there, but since you'll have to carry it on your back for any semblance of control or safety (IMHO, others may vary) it's still a pain in the ass to get it ready. SLRs are best used for true photo-sessions. The riders you're photographing have to be aware of this, too, and be willing to cooperate. You'll be slower than them, need to walk lots of big moves, yet still need to get out in front of them to get set up and grab the shots.

I highly recommend, however, getting a very full-featured compact such as a Canon S90 and carrying it on a pouch on the front strap of your camelbak. When you can stop and shoot while still astride your bike in a matter of a few seconds, without any noticable added load, it's a lot less intrusive on everyone's riding experience.

There are some pretty cool rigs out there that look like military load-bearing gear which could help you carry an SLR setup along with your necessary bike gear. Don't recall brand names and can't run a search right now, though.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have ridden some of the more awesome trails in the Zion/Virgin/Brian Head UT area with a 2- large-aperture lens and medium SLR setup using a Burton Zoom photo-backpack (now discontinued, but there are many other backpack options).

I strongly recommend against it, unless you're going as focused on being a photographer and not a rider. The SLR is too big and bulky and affects your riding, especially since you're conscious of the big price tag you're carrying on your back in some serious terrain which demands your full attention and control. It also takes a huge amount of time to un-ass the camera from the case and get set up to shoot. Doesn't seem that way when you practice in your living room or garage, but on the trail, you'll end up seeing cool stuff and not stopping to shoot because an extra 30 seconds to get the damned thing out again is just going to annoy you more than you want. Not to mention having to put it away.

Could be mitagated by using some of the faster-opening setups out there, but since you'll have to carry it on your back for any semblance of control or safety (IMHO, others may vary) it's still a pain in the ass to get it ready. SLRs are best used for true photo-sessions. The riders you're photographing have to be aware of this, too, and be willing to cooperate. You'll be slower than them, need to walk lots of big moves, yet still need to get out in front of them to get set up and grab the shots.

I highly recommend, however, getting a very full-featured compact such as a Canon S90 and carrying it on a pouch on the front strap of your camelbak. When you can stop and shoot while still astride your bike in a matter of a few seconds, without any noticable added load, it's a lot less intrusive on everyone's riding experience.

There are some pretty cool rigs out there that look like military load-bearing gear which could help you carry an SLR setup along with your necessary bike gear. Don't recall brand names and can't run a search right now, though.
I agree. My Android phone takes incredible HD Video and some pretty awesome photos. Yet is rather intuitive to to pull out and implement. The quality of the video while attached to my chest via my back pack strap was better then I expected...

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i used to tote it and a lens in a dakine hydration pack and hoped not to crash. Now i just pack my cannon s95 and its pretty damn close to a dslr and takes fantastic photos.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
GoPro 2.

But since I was called out for the F stop bags...Look into the newer small ones. fstopgear.com

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Now I'm stroking it over a F-stop Guru. Thanks. More **** to buy.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I second everything MikeD said. If it's a dedicated biking trip, just don't do it. Buy a nice compact, keep it in an accessible place. It is absolutely inevitable that, with the SLR, you will sacrifice picture-taking for riding, or vice versa, and it'll either be frustrating that you didn't capture some moments, or frustrating that you were doing so much stop-and-go riding.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I would take the camera if I wasn't worried about crashing and trashing it. The Whole Enchilada is long enough that I don't mind stopping every once in a while and taking some photos (and the scenery is awesome). However, I've not found a solution that makes me comfortable crashing with the camera and lenses in my pack.

I once dropped my Lowepro sling bag and snapped my 10-22mm lens in half. That was just from the bag slipping out of my hand.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I never carry my SLR on a bike ride. I couldn't imagine how it would effect my ride, thinking about possibly destroying my gear. I just carry my iPhone for when I want pictures.

However, once in a while I will go out for a photo mission and use the bike for transportation from location to location. In this instance, I use my Crumpler Messenger Boy (6000?), and it will hold my Gripped 50D, XTi, Canon 50 f1.4, Sigma 150 Macro (Bugma) with no problem, I think I've even managed to stuff in my Sigma 10-20 on one occasion. I think this is the EU equal to the 6 Milliion Dollar Home (we don't use dollars here).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I second everything MikeD said. If it's a dedicated biking trip, just don't do it. Buy a nice compact, keep it in an accessible place. It is absolutely inevitable that, with the SLR, you will sacrifice picture-taking for riding, or vice versa, and it'll either be frustrating that you didn't capture some moments, or frustrating that you were doing so much stop-and-go riding.
True dat.

However, if Dirt really is willing to make the trip about photos and not riding, he'll get some great stuff I'm sure. He just has to decide to forego a lot of the riding pleasure.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Riding (surviving?) Flying Monkey in Virgin was pretty much the limit of my skills at their peak. Doing it with a backpack full of glass and electronics was absolutely terrifying.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I don't think the weight is really a problem on that trail. Last time I rode the Whole Enchilada I stuffed a femur and some old metal thing that I found in to my pack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought a toughened Olympus point and shoot for riding shots. I can keep in in my jersey pocket without worrying about it getting damaged from sweat, dirt or crashes. It doesn't take as nice pictures as an SLR by a long shot but the ease in using it allows me to use it a lot more than a better setup. I only have to stop for a moment to steady myself to take a picture. You are already the slow ****er in the group everyone will have to wait for your slow ass to catch up and pack/repack gear.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Add my vote to the "get a good compact/subcompact and keep it in a small padded bag on your chest (I used to have one that I'd loop the "belt loop" on the camera bag through the camelbak shoulder and chest straps). Easy to get to, easy to put away, and pretty protected unless you're liable to do the full-on superman crash. You can pick up an S90 pretty cheap ($260 used on B&H), so you're probably not spending that much more than you would on a PP resin bag for your SLR.

You won't want to take the time to get out an SLR, trust me.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Nikon AW100

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26293/COOLPIX-AW100.html

They are going for less than $300 at Costco.

If you insist on the DSLR, go light. Pack a couple shallow cheaper primes to keep the bulk down.

If I was doing an extended camera trip into harsh terrain, I'd look into a Boblbee.

http://www.boblbee.com/us/default.asp
If I were going to spend $300 on a compact, I certainly wouldn't go for the 1/2.3" sensor. You can get the (somewhat bulky) Nikon P7000 for $280, and although it's definitely not as tiny as a subcompact, the pictures are actually pretty good.

edit: Or a S90/S95 refurb. If you have an old Canon camera (of any kind) you can take advantage of their loyalty program.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If I were going to spend $300 on a compact, I certainly wouldn't go for the 1/2.3" sensor. You can get the (somewhat bulky) Nikon P7000 for $280, and although it's definitely not as tiny as a subcompact, the pictures are actually pretty good.
My wife has the P7000 and while the IQ is fantastic, it's the last compact camera I'd take on a trail ride. The body on it is actually much larger than many of the mirrorless cameras with a pancake lens. It's also a bit finicky, and NOT an action camera.

Like I said the AW100 can be had for less than $300

I've read some good reviews for it, especially the GPs functions. (it also does on-board map storage) I might pick one up for a road trip later this year.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
My wife has the P7000 and while the IQ is fantastic, it's the last compact camera I'd take on a trail ride. The body on it is actually much larger than many of the mirrorless cameras with a pancake lens. It's also a bit finicky, and NOT an action camera.

Like I said the AW100 can be had for less than $300

I've read some good reviews for it, especially the GPs functions. (it also does on-board map storage) I might pick one up for a road trip later this year.
Since we're spending someone else's money, THAT is what I'd suggest. The shutter-lag on any compact is going to drive someone nuts (or impact the pictures if they do the "pre-focus/pre-meter and hold the button halfway down trick), but the mirrorless cameras have taken some pretty stunning action shots. No shutter lag, good sensor, and with the pancake lens it's small enough to stuff in a jersey pocket or camera bag mounted onto a camelbak.