Quantcast

Photo packs good for riding?

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
I'm looking for a good way to carry my camera gear on rides. Currently , I just stuff my SLR into my Dakine Nomad and hope I don't crash. I'm interested in a pack that can hold the following: SLR w/ wide angle lens, external flash, 100 oz. bladder, spare tube, pump, multi tool, and possibly an extra lens. I've looked at the Sequence from Dakine, which looks perfect apart from the large size. I thought I'd see how you guys carried your gear before I started making any decisions. Your thoughts?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I went on a real ride once with some gear, I wouldn't do it again, but I do know some people have to or really want to. I hacked my kit together from a dakine pack I had, but wasn't very camera friendly. Perhaps they make a proper one? or maybe look at some of the ogio stuff?
Not much help, but thought I would help get the thread rollin.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have a dekine helipro with a homemade block. Made of a corrugated plastic 'for sale' sign and duct tape, it is super rigid and customized to my gear. Best of all, it was free. The helipro has external straps for tripods and stands too.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i use the dakine sequence. its rugged, large spaces inside to fit my DSLR, two lenses, flash and everything else and it stays put.
it doesnt hold a 100oz bladder like you are looking for though.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Burton Zoom pack works well too.

However, like stiksandstones said, you're really doing one thing: Riding or shooting.

Trying to do both at the same time means you probably won't have fun doing either.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I chuck my video camera, several lenses and a small shoulder/steadicam setup in my dakine sequence and am really happy with it. Like most dakine stuff, the zippers are burly and the thing is just made well. As stated, no bladder pocket but there's plenty of room for me to stuff a gatorade bottle and a few beers in there.

That burton zoom pack does have a bladder pouch and just a tad more 'camera only' gear space. I didn't get it because I thought the quality of the dakine bag was better.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I used a Burton Zoom for riding. Like others have said, though, once you're hauling real gear, you're out for a shoot, not for a ride--the bike merely lets you get where you need to shoot.

Riding Flying Monkey in Virgin, UT was terrifying/taxing enough for me without gear...wearing my photo pack on a run was perhaps one of the worst MTB decisions I ever made.

If I was looking for something to carry on a bike now, though, I'd also look at maxpedition packs, esp. the "gearslinger" single-strap backpack models. They're designed as tactical he-man packs but might fit the bill for a single SLR, accessories, and some bike stuff. Dunno if they take a bladder or not, though, and don't have the bandwidth here to take a look. Google "maxpedition" and see what you can find.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I figured the Sequence would be the best bet. I just don't know about going on a ride without water, but I guess Silver is right. I need to focus on riding OR shooting.
it does have a pocket for a water bottle and ive been able to put another inside of the outer pocket too.
when im shooting, im not really worrying about having 100oz of water on me. if im riding and shooting, im usually only shooting for a few runs so its never a issue.
the Sequence has enough pockets for everything. if i had a laptop space, it would be dreamy

Mar 4, 2003
Somewhere in Alabama
I just got a Sequence in, and I've gotta say I'm impressed so far. It's a quality looking pack and quite comfortable. I've set it up to hold the body w/ attached lens, 3 additional lenses, and a flash with plenty of room left over for a water bottle or two. Can't wait to try it out on a ride. Thanks for the input everybody.