Quantcast

photo retrieval from cracked Android?

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted anywhere.... but I have a question and I know if anyone can help me, you guys can.

The inevitable happened and I cracked my Android phone beyond any help (after two years of dropping it, might I add - it's really quite robust!).

I have photos I really want to retrieve, but have no clue how I would go about it. I cannot activate the phone with a fingerswipe at all.

Any suggestions? Give up on photos?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)

-sunny

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I connect my android phone to my computer, it comes up as a mass storage device without me doing anything on the phone. I can then access any pictures I took on the phone.
this would be my second option.

does your phone have an SD card? pull that because that's where they should be stored.

also, hi sunny!! :cheers:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I connect my android phone to my computer, it comes up as a mass storage device without me doing anything on the phone. I can then access any pictures I took on the phone.
also, that might depend on the model. all android phones have this capability, but i don't believe all of them do it by default. it's more likely for older phones.

but it's absolutely worth a shot.

laura - what model is it?

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I'd connected to the computer before and browsed just by using the PC window, but hadn't tried it since the screen cracked. I figured I wouldn't be able to. My husband said he tried that and it didn't work. He's more technically inclined than me, so I figured he would know better than me how to proceed.

Curious, I just now plugged the phone in to my computer, and right away it connected and I could see the DCIM folder on the computer on the computer screen. Wow. Easier than I thought...

But the Nexus screen flashed and said Welcome and then asked me for a language preference.... I am not sure what my husband did to try to recover data, but I think he wiped the phone clean. The DCIM folder is completely empty.

There's no SD card in this one.

So... it's a loss.

Thanks anyway. I've learned the hard way to back up my stuff.

-sunny

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you have google+ or flickr installed on your phone it will automatically backup your photos as you take them. I think the facebook app also has a similar feature too.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If it will still sync with the computer download Recuva they have a free version that works better than any of the paid versions I have used. Just make sure you restore the files to a drive other than the phone, computer drive is the easiest.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
that's an opt-in feature, aka, not on by default
Of course, they want to save money with opt-in (and some might want to choose Wifi-only vs Wifi+cellular for the impact on their data plan) but i think with at least G+ it asks you on installation so you don't have to know where it is in the app settings to enable it. Flickr has a splash screen that also mentions "New auto upload" opt-in. Facebook's Sync feature is buried in a menu and kind blows because it only syncs the last 2GB of content for posting.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just use cloning software to back my phone up, it's coz I'm old and don't trust these clouds.