Quantcast

Photo sequence of Matti Lehikoinen's crash

Panza

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
Matti and his management have released some chilling photos showing the crash that broke his back. Fortunately his recovery is progressing quickly and he'll be able to continue his career.

Sequence at 25framez

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
...and today matti is up and walking for 30 minutes at a time and trying to stem the boredom from not being able to do anything. Fast recovery for that kid. Apparently his worst pain was from 2 sneezes lately.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
wows!

I have been both unlucky enough to have 2 major neck injury/incidents, but lucky enough that neither left me with any significant debilitation. (I have some nerve damage and random pain associated with herniations/impingment, but all in all Damn Lucky!)

I have noticed that the neck injuries I have seen where the injured has mobility/paralysis issues is when the neck is folded forward onto the chest. This is what happened to Chris Reeve, Matti, and many otheres. My injuries involved extension backwards (so that the back of my head touched my back in 1 instance) and I have herniations and impingment, the most severe impact is a loss of control/sensitivity in my right arm and hand (I drop small things alot, and have trouble grasping things unless I focus on it initially) - this was from a high speed car accident and a MTB crash off of a step down - similar to Matti's; A drop to faceplant.

So - AWESOME that he is on his feet, I hope to see Tara Llanes move along as soon as possible!

Does anybody know if the MX/Football neckroll would be effective in MTB scenarios? I would imagine it would protect better against the type of injuries I had versus the forward folded neck, but any info either way?

And does neck strength have any significant impact in this type of impact? (any Dr's?) AAAND if so - is there a neck regimen for working out, or is it a lateral benefit of other excercises (such as shrugs or m-presses?)

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
And does neck strength have any significant impact in this type of impact? (any Dr's?) AAAND if so - is there a neck regimen for working out, or is it a lateral benefit of other excercises (such as shrugs or m-presses?)
There's a reason football players and wrestlers do neck exercises.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
I'm not a doctor either... but neck exercises were always extremely stressed on my rugby team in college. Just for the small amount of protection it offered. W/something like a broken neck... any amount of protection is better than nothing.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
not a Dr. but i doubt any amount of muscle strength would help when the neck takes the full force of 150-180 pounds coming to a dead stop from 20 mph.
Thats what I mean - I certainly understand a strong neck has its benefits, and that linement crashing helmets (300lb guy slamming into 300lb guy) is pretty severe, but I am wondering if it would make a difference in THIS type of impact. (Pile drive at speed)

I am pursuing fitness and training moreso as I get older and am not 'naturally' fit as I used to be, I will regardless include some more lateral/x training muscles - but always curious!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've yet to see a football player get up to 20 mph and jump down a bank onto his skull first.

Football impacts are brutal to say the least. If 2 players hit each other at equal speed to what Matti was traveling, they'd be in a hospital bed too with the same injury. No amount of neck muscle can prevent that kind of compression and/or deflection. Two NFL players have been carted off this year with similar injuries.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
thats true bizutch but just like any form of muscle training/strengthening it helps when it does happen. every injury i have had has been to a part of my body that i had not wroked out or stretched in a while. not saying it would not have happened but im sure someone with some neck strenth vs someone without much the results would be pretty drastic

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
661 Neck Nut

EVS RC-3

Leatt Brace MOTO GPX

I am looking in to something along these lines to help prevent such repercussions for a crash like this.

Panza

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
Concerning neck support I checked out Vanessa Quin's (2004 DH world champ) Leatt-Brace. Her carbon fiber pro-version is astonishingly light and very well adjustable.
The pro-brace isn't really cheap (995$) but there are two more versions ("Club" and "Sport") for 395$ and 595$ available. Looks like they only differ in weight.
In Mattis case this brace probably would have been helpful.

Out of the current occasion we put Vanessa's video online where she talks about her neck injury and shows the brace.
---> 25framez.com