Quantcast

photo sharing for the dumb

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sharing photos is a pain since i only have a limited amount of space to hold em. i don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but i was trying to get my new avatar down to a small enough file size to fit under the ridiculously small limit, and i was only succesful by making it into a .gif file and eliminating color.

That got me to thinking why not save space by just turning all the photo's i share into .gifs :clue:

i can't see the difference between these two shots, but i save 245 kb of file space. Can you tell i work in construction.:drool: :looney: :teacher:

Well i guess this is it for sharing pictures in the Lounge, see ya in the new Ride Report forum.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
web space is getting riduculously cheap. You can register a domain for something like $10 a year, and then hosting is cheap too, I pay $9.95 a month for something like 500 GB of web space.

skookumonline.com :weee:

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I know it's not cool to covet another monkeys woman and all, but I think I'm in love with your bikey. :love: See the way she's got her head slightly turned away? Yeah, she likes me too. :oink:

I thought jpegs were smaller than gifs? That's what Photoshop tells me anyway.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
Skooks , Use photobucket , 50 MB free space to use.

also are you using any Compression on your JPGS ? for larget imagies they are usually much smaller than GIF's
Everybody tells me to use them, what's the catch to using them?

And i cannot seem to get a handle on .jpg compression, will that effect resolution vs. the amount of saved file space?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
geargrrl said:
web space is getting riduculously cheap. You can register a domain for something like $10 a year, and then hosting is cheap too, I pay $9.95 a month for something like 500 GB of web space.

skookumonline.com :weee:
Hmm that is cheap..... then i'd have to figure out how to use it though...

BuddhaRoadkill said:
I know it's not cool to covet another monkeys woman and all, but I think I'm in love with your bikey. :love: See the way she's got her head slightly turned away? Yeah, she likes me too. :oink:
Not my bikey.:D

Drool away.....:drool:

splat

Nam I am
I have not found a a catch with photobucket, except , whjen you use up all the Space and Montly bandwidwith , then they start send mail, and Messages when you run out od either . the old they get you hooked , then reel you in ( I'm still running the freebie.

Also I notice you are using comcast. Maybe it has changed since I had it , but I know I use to have 25 MB of web space per email account . I was entitled to 5 email accounts , but only had one , so I just registered for a couple more email addy's and used the space.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
Also I notice you are using comcast. Maybe it has changed since I had it , but I know I use to have 25 MB of web space per email account . I was entitled to 5 email accounts , but only had one , so I just registered for a couple more email addy's and used the space.
i'll try that....

Welp i made 4 new accounts, i always assumed these were just secondary accounts and didn't provide the extra web space, but maybe i've been wrong....

BrokenChain

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
NWCT
I've been using flickr.com to host my pics. You're limited to 20 MB upload per month, but unlimited storage. I'm quite pleased.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
$9.95/month is actually a lot for webspace now. You can get multiple gigs of webspace for less than $5/month from reputable companies. GoDaddy.com has packages starting at like $3/month.

I stick with my free photobucket account for the time being, seems to work just fine.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
binary visions said:
$9.95/month is actually a lot for webspace now. You can get multiple gigs of webspace for less than $5/month from reputable companies. GoDaddy.com has packages starting at like $3/month.

I stick with my free photobucket account for the time being, seems to work just fine.

you are right, my $9.95 is my business, has some extra features. It's hosted by godaddy.com along with about 3 other sites I deal with.

As for getting your pics uploaded, it's just like any other program, get a good ftp program and you should be ablet to drag and drop at the minimum. I ftp through dreamweaver which is overkill, I"'m sure someone else can recommend something simple.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Thanks for the help everyone, your charity for the dumb is much appreciated.

i like the idea of a web site but i don't think i need to go that far at this point in time.

But it turns out that Splat was right, with each of my new email accounts i'm getting 26 mg's of space. The Ride Report Forum is definately going to get alot cooler since i'll have space to archive some of the more popular stuff. Just say no to :redX:

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
Skookum said:
Thanks for the help everyone, your charity for the dumb is much appreciated.

i like the idea of a web site but i don't think i need to go that far at this point in time.

But it turns out that Splat was right, with each of my new email accounts i'm getting 26 mg's of space. The Ride Report Forum is definately going to get alot cooler since i'll have space to archive some of the more popular stuff. Just say no to :redX:
Hey skookes, you should get a blogspot account. www.blogspot.com
its basically just a journal but its kinda like having your own site. Plus its free and no annoying adverts or popups. The life of skookes or something? It's free and I recommend one of these to everybody. Its cool to have a journal of your life. Memories fade and a hard copy that you can go back and look at later is nice. Plus its a way for friends and family to keep up on what you are doing youdig. Plus even the dumb can figure out how to get going on it. Super easy.

J

JRB

I paid the $25 fee for photobucket so I can put a jillion pics of Caroline up. I haven't yet, but it seemed cheap enough.