Quantcast

Photography forums

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

if you are into canon freaks talking up everything that has canons name on it, even if it sucks. I just go on the site to look at the pictures and get ideas.
there are brand defenders everywhere (audi, vw, nikon, etc)...even some in this very thread. :nopity:

your statement indicates that you've not really read much on it (there are certainly more than a small number of people highly critical of the 1D mk III and new 5D mkII).

the FAQs are pretty good, and camera-generic for a large part. i think it's pretty worthwhile.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i think photo forums are pretty worthless for the most part. i don't read any of them. used to be on robgalbraith's forums before he sold the site, and posted very occasionally on fm. dpreview's layout is way too hideous for me to read, let alone post on.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i think photo forums are pretty worthless for the most part. i don't read any of them. used to be on robgalbraith's forums before he sold the site, and posted very occasionally on fm. dpreview's layout is way too hideous for me to read, let alone post on.
I agree with this 110%.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
So where would you point a beginner (apart from outside with his/her camera - thats just a given!) for handy sites with good info?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I like potn to get ideas and read up on new stuff. I just hate how everyone is 100% canon with no breathing room. I like nikon but I have been swaying towards canon due to lens pricing.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
This is a forum for digital camera enthusiasts

And therein lies the problem. Most people aren't photographers, they are gearheads.

As far as actual photography goes, strobist (especially the 101 and 102 tutorial) is great if you need to learn how to light quick and dirty.

Just stay out of the forums. The signal to noise ratio on pretty much any forum is horrible...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i only troll in the threads about the different lenses. i should have stayed away from the one on the 24-70 2.8L though...i rented one and now i want one

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is a forum for digital camera enthusiasts

And therein lies the problem. Most people aren't photographers, they are gearheads.

As far as actual photography goes, strobist (especially the 101 and 102 tutorial) is great if you need to learn how to light quick and dirty.

Just stay out of the forums. The signal to noise ratio on pretty much any forum is horrible...
12345. most camera forum (and EV forum, for that matter) participants seem to be 65 year old retired white dudes that shoot horrible photos of their dogs or other nonsense and then post endlessly about it

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
About the only forum I've seen that I can tolerate is the Nikon forum at Fred Miranda. Even there, you have to wade through junk to see the good stuff, but at least most people who post in there are nice or respectful about what they have to say - a welcome change from DPReview's screaming infants. Plus, there are some genuinely talented photographers in there.

A couple of the genre-specific forums @ FM are the same way. Some really good guys posting good photos. There's plenty of junk, though, too. Just less than I see on some forums.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
What I like about the ones I mentioned:

wheelsandwax - action sports specific. They seem to have some good ideas in there.
fredmiranda - good coverage of all things photography.
sebrogers - MTB specific. He seems to know a fair bit and is willing to share. Sounds good to me.
strobist - good coverage of all things lighting.

I realise there is junk in there (hell, there is here too!), but these 4 sites have fairly good coverage for me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mtb photography really is pretty simple, at least how most people shoot it:

70-200 + off-camera strobes
switch to 15mm fisheye and pan in a corner now in then

voila. (note that i don't think that most of these photos are very interesting even if technically fine.)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I should add that the only forum where I've found far less gear-whoring than most is photo.net...decent information can be gleaned from time to time.