Quantcast

Photomonkeys, this is some of the most amazing camerawork I have ever seen

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
He shoots cityscaps in such a way that they look like incredibly detailed scale models. But these are arial photos of real places.

:thumb:

EDIT Ah crap I forgot the main link

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thats really cool.

I just started taking an SLR class today (8-1 on fridays) at Santa Barbara City College.....Well, at the college level, SB seems fine...must just be those crazy middle schools...

Today it was only until about 12 though, because it was just an introduction. I stayed an hour after everyone left and talked with the two teachers. I showed her my photos and what I have of my website. She though I should be in the advanced class with all the photo/graphic things i'm doing. That class is prerequisite though.

It seems like a cool class. It will be fun. At first they are learning about card readers and stuff (digital people), but I'm sure I will learn a lot, especially about getting better shots.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
It's cool, but it doesn't look that hard to do. With a normal lens you can focus on something 2ft away and something 1ft away will be blurry. Then after a point, like 50ft, everything is in focus. I don't know anything about lenses but I think a special lens is all that's behind this. Then maybe some editing to make the colors more model-esque.

It's still pretty cool though.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
My guess is that he's using a lensbaby, or if he is using a tilt-shift he's making a tranperency over a curved peice of wood, to get the blur on the top and bottom like that, pulling the print from the transperancy. Then using a combination of cheap film and uniqu proccessing to get that modelish look. Yes I know my spelling sucks.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BigMike said:
Wow, that is really amazing!

Whats a tilt and shift lens do?
A tilt shift lens lets you selectively alter the focus point in an image. It is most commonly used in architectural photography to focus on different parts of an image, without affecting composition.

To alter the focal distance (to get his depth of field nice and shallow as he has) he is simply uising a very wide aperture lens.

Neither of these are important, what is, is the color, feel and detail he has managed to achieve. It is quite spectacular. My guess is that it is a combination of film type, lens coating (ie: specific lens model/filter etc) and possibly a strange camera. (a holga for example gives you a very specific look due to it's crappy plastic built in lens).

I don't think it's a lens baby. I played with a LB 2.0 - nothing at all like this...it could never acheive the dramatic range and detail this has.

edit: processing could have alot to do witht he color...particularly if he is using a strange mix, or intentionally ruining the developer or fix by letting it spoil/direct light/heat etc.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BigMike said:
Or maybe he just took pictures of models and told everyone they were real so that everyone thinks he's awesome, but really he's not :think:
:stupid:

unless Paris has changed drastically because of the riots, the eiffel tower isn't right next to the arc d'triumphe

edit - i just saw when i pasted the pic that the properties mentioned vegas. oh.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
BigMike said:
Or maybe he just took pictures of models and told everyone they were real so that everyone thinks he's awesome, but really he's not :think:

Yeah he sucks at photography but is really an incredible model builder. :p

or ...he uses the weird photography technique to hide the fact he did it all with Lego's.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Skookum said:
hmm kinda reminds me of a 3-D feel without the 3-D. Kinda like looking thru a Viewmaster.
Ah HAH! THAT'S what it reminds me of. I couldn't think of it and it was bugging me.

It'd be cool to see pix of people riding thier bikes done in that style.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Ciaran said:
Ah HAH! THAT'S what it reminds me of. I couldn't think of it and it was bugging me.

It'd be cool to see pix of people riding thier bikes done in that style.
Lets call him, I'll volunteer to ride :)

I have a feeling they may be long shutter times though......

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Obviously he is not because he can type a message in English, while you can't.

BTW.
This is all the power of suggestion. If you looked at the photos without reading that guiding statement first they would just look like bad photos.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
The size of the photo seems to have a large effect on it also. A smaller photo seems t accentuate the effect.

Orignal picture stolen courtesy of misterclean. (link)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Transcend said:
personal attacks are not allowed. reported.
I wish you guys wouldn't quote him. It foils the use of my ignore list.

Extremely cool/creative photography, though. For me, only a novelty (the images don't really strike a chord in me), but clearly a very talented and creative guy.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Tenchiro said:
An attempt at simulating the technique in photochop.

Orignal picture stolen courtesy of misterclean. (link)
Looks very much like what you're shooting for....the only thing that makes me take notice is that the left and right sides of the image are not blurred at all. That's really the only thing that would tip me off to a PS job.

Otherwise, damned cool.

*edit*

I guess all of them are like that, it just doesn't appear as pronounced on the photos of the buildings.