Quantcast

[PHOTOS] Rando, Lopes, Powell at Sheep Hills

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
These guys all race DH, so its DH related ;)

Went on a XC ride in laguna with the 3 forementioned riders, got my ass kicked...then went to sheep to try out some dirt jumping photos-see if I had anything in me.
I just fu@king suck at taking photos, I always have some setting wrong, etc, but worse off-I know the images I WANT to take, but can not seem to pull it off...I hope it will come to me soon ;)
At any rate, here are a few semi-keepers from the day...please feel free to comment and critique-I have a thick skin and know I suck, just looking to improve.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
sayndesyn said:
That one of Powell is good, but it would be great with that tree in the top left gone. Remember, the CS2 clone tool is your friend. haha Either way they are still good pics.
Ya, I could crop it different or clone it out, or put another one in bottom right corner and make it a christmas card ;)

Thanks

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
.:Jeenyus:. said:
What camera you using?
I use cameras that are WAY beyond my skill level and needs-but screw it...most so cal friends of mine spend money on cool cars and crap, I just buy camera crap.

Here is another of lopes I thought was sorta cool

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Quality is there, composition is not.

IMO
Exactly, they are just my usual 'nice' but boring images. Want to catch some of that Spomer vibe he gets in his dirt jump pics...that vibe that makes you feel like you were there, or that you go 'wow'. I am missing the WOW factor and do not know if it can be learned-I am evidence that it can not be bought ;)

A couple more

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
dropmachine.com said:
Its funny how fake the clouds look. I call photoshop! ;)

I can't wait to get my cam and start shooting. I'm snappin everything!
Yes, was a mint day for photos...if only one of the pro photo goons were there it would have made for quite the gallery.

Trust me guys, when you have a peice of kit you know can take some incredible photos, you just aren't quite sure what to do to get them, it can be very fraustrating. If i got the above photos from a P&S i would be amazed, but if my DSLR took them i'de just expect it.

I do like the photos though Stik :) What do you shoot with again? (i swear i've asked before, but it's most likely condemned to the RM archives and my own personal mental ones..)

What are you having trouble doing? You said you know how you want the photos to look, but dont know what to do with the camera to get them? Would love to be of help if i could.

Keep snappin'. (And riding, don't forget riding! I neglected it so much when i got into photography)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
sayndesyn said:
I know it's technically "cheating", but I found that with the latest high megapixel cameras you can take a pic zoomed out a little bit then in PS crop it in according to the composition you want. Get the rule of thirds feeling right etc.
I've done that. I wouldn't call it cheating. Back in the film days, people edited their photos manualy with chemicals and stuff.

It's only fair for people with digitals to edit their stuff.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
stop blaming yoru self for the poor quality of the pictures, its definitely more the fact that you didnt have any talent to work with. i mean how can you expect to get good looking pictures with a bunch of guys who can hardly bunny hop?

just fvckin with ya, those pics are pretty hot in my oppion

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
You guys are funny...
AR, I am trying to achieve photos that make me just stare for a long time, make me feel like I was there riding, make me say 'damn!'...like I said, dont know if it is something that can be learned.
I do know that when ever I have gone to take pictures I get all caught up in watching people riding and spaz on takin pics. Ah well, all in the name of fun.
Thanks all for comments

Hehe, fair enough. That is certainly not something that can be learned.

Funny about getting caught up in the riding too. Whenever my mates come past i'm too busy cheering them on to take pics, then when they ask me for pics afterwards, they're all poor.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
as you strive to become a better photographer.
do us all a favor. keep posting your work.

if these suck, just wait till you get good at it.:)

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
mtnbrider said:
I've done that. I wouldn't call it cheating. Back in the film days, people edited their photos manualy with chemicals and stuff.

It's only fair for people with digitals to edit their stuff.
REALLY?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sayndesyn said:
I know it's technically "cheating", but I found that with the latest high megapixel cameras you can take a pic zoomed out a little bit then in PS crop it in according to the composition you want. Get the rule of thirds feeling right etc.
Big problem is, that is only good for web. Even then you lose quality.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Stik, I don't really know **** about photog, but from what I like to see in DJ pics and what you were saying about Spomer's stuff, try stepping back. Get more of the area instead of just the rider. Fully framed shots in DH are always sick, maybe because of the speed but they just don't work the best for DJs. I like a few of the lopes ones but you can't see his face in a lot of them. Shots from below never seem to POP because you just can't see much of whats going on. A lot of the shots look like the rider is in a really akward position as well. I dig the lopes berm shot though, its money.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
biker3 said:
Stik, I don't really know **** about photog, but from what I like to see in DJ pics and what you were saying about Spomer's stuff, try stepping back. Get more of the area instead of just the rider. Fully framed shots in DH are always sick, maybe because of the speed but they just don't work the best for DJs. I like a few of the lopes ones but you can't see his face in a lot of them. Shots from below never seem to POP because you just can't see much of whats going on. A lot of the shots look like the rider is in a really akward position as well. I dig the lopes berm shot though, its money.
Thanks for the comments man, I was saying the same things about the pics as you mentioned...but you pointed some other things out. Appreciate it-ciao

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
stiksandstones said:
He is the guy that is still making a 1/4 million a year to ride his bike past some gates 8 weekends a year.
Really? You mean they pay people to ride those things? Learn something new every day, I tell ya.