Quantcast

Photoshop CS4

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I had a little time to play around with it today. I love the tabs and I got a kick out of the 3D, but who else has had time to evaluate?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I had a little time to play around with it today. I love the tabs and I got a kick out of the 3D, but who else has had time to evaluate?
Let me know if it's worth the upgrade from PS 7.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not a Photoshop guru but I haven't noticed a whole lot of differences except for the layout and the fact that it uses my video card to speed up a bunch of the processing.

I really like how I can zoom in and out almost instantaneously now, with no rendering time and every zoom level is properly resampled, unlike CS3 where levels between 25%, 50% and 100% were full of jagged edges.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I'm not a Photoshop guru but I haven't noticed a whole lot of differences except for the layout and the fact that it uses my video card to speed up a bunch of the processing.

I really like how I can zoom in and out almost instantaneously now, with no rendering time and every zoom level is properly resampled, unlike CS3 where levels between 25%, 50% and 100% were full of jagged edges.
Keep in mind though Adobe isn't keeping the features of the product consistent across platforms. The Mac version is behind the Windows version (seem a bit odd for the target market?).

macrumors said:
Adobe's John Nack writes about the future plans for Adobe Photoshop CS4 and CS5, revealing that Adobe Photoshop CS4 will include 64-Bit support, but for Windows only. The Mac version of CS4 will remain at 32-Bit. The reason for the discrepancy, however, is not due to a lack of interest or support from Adobe, but for more practical reasons.

First off, Nack admits that the 64-bit version of Photoshop will see modest speed increases (8-12%) but the biggest advantage will be for those using massive images (a 3.375 gigapixel image is given as an example). With these massive sizes and with enough RAM (32GB given as example), you can see substantial (10x) improvements.

Adobe expects that Mac users will have to wait until CS5 before getting full 64-bit support. The reason for this delay is due to Apple's abrupt dropping of Carbon 64-bit support:

At the WWDC show last June, however, Adobe & other developers learned that Apple had decided to stop their Carbon 64 efforts. This means that 64-bit Mac apps need to be written to use Cocoa (as Lightroom is) instead of Carbon. This means that we'll need to rewrite large parts of Photoshop and its plug-ins (potentially affecting over a million lines of code) to move it from Carbon to Cocoa.

Nack reports that they started working on the transition immediately after the announcement but due to the scope of the transition are unable to deliver it by CS4. He also tries to dispel the notion that Cocoa alone will produce a higher quality product than Carbon:

Most Mac users don't know Cocoa from Ovaltine, and nor should they: it's just an implementation detail, not a measure of quality. I think Brent Simmons, creator of wonderful Cocoa apps like NetNewsWire, put it most elegantly: "Finder + Cocoa = Finder." That is, rewriting one's app in Cocoa doesn't somehow automatically improve its speed, usability, or feature set.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I have been using it for a couple weeks now. I love the the adjustment layers. I have just made the switch from pc to mac so I am a bit jarred by the interface but all in all the features I have used just seem to run smoother. From videos that I have seen there are a lot of features that could come in handy for Wacom users as well but I have not taken the plunge yet.