Quantcast

Photoshop editing questions

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Instead of asking questions right off, try doing some Google searches or reading the manual that came with Photoshop. You just got this today or yesterday, it takes some learning.

Hint: for the first one, use the clone tool.

For the second one, use the delete key. There's no saving it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Photoshop is a nice program, but it's not a miracle worker. The first pic will have to be touched up - basically "paint" over the lens flare. IMO, the flare adds some coolness to the shot - I'd be more concerned about contast and color balance in that pic personally.

The second pic is blury - you took a blury shot... photoshop can help it a little, but it's always going to be blury. Use the unsharpen mask to do what you can (Filters | Sharpen | Unsharpen Mask).

FWIW... Based on those 2 pics... it looks to me like you need to work more on your photography and less on your photoshop skills.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
Instead of asking questions right off, try doing some Google searches or reading the manual that came with Photoshop. You just got this today or yesterday, it takes some learning.

Hint: for the first one, use the clone tool.

For the second one, use the delete key. There's no saving it.
:stupid:

I'd wager that you will f**k up the first picture more by trying to remove the unwanted sun stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's a particularly ugly lens flare. However, the fact that it's a mediocre picture will actually help you use the clone tool. Since the guy's armor is underexposed and pretty uniform in color, the clone tool might actually be pretty effective.

Look, Photoshop does not make bad pictures into good pictures. That's a pretty big misconception about digital photo editing. People think that you can start with an under/over exposed, blurry, out of focus or poorly framed picture and turn it into something like Derek, Spomer, or any of ther other great photographers on here post.

To be blunt, both of them would go into my "delete" pile. The second one is totally unusable, and the exposure on the first one is shot to hell. The sky is blown out AND the rider is underexposed. Add the lens flare for that, and you have a candidate for the recycle bin.

Photoshop is a great tool, but only in conjunction with a good picture. Try learning a little more about exposure and photography, and you'll be able to turn good pictures into really good pictures.

You said you "just like to take the pictures", but photography, like anything else, doesn't work that way. You don't "just like to ride down the hill" either, you have to learn how your bike will react and what you're capable of in order to do it well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
:stupid:

wow binary you are killing it in this thread, perfectly put. I hate when people think photoshop can make a horribly photographer good...

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
im not saying those are two awesome pics i want to make better because they are the best shots i took.....their just the first ones i found those problems with :p

i know what photoshop is used for, i dont plan on making ****ty photos into awesome ones. Only real thing im doing with it is brightening some up, taking out unwanted items (black on the edge of a wide angled shot) and making the rider stick out a little more.

Thanks Binary the clone tool helped a lot, and thanks to anyone else that has had to go through my annoyingness trying to help me. I think im set for a while.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
mtbpaint1 said:
Thanks Binary the clone tool helped a lot, and thanks to anyone else that has had to go through my annoyingness trying to help me. I think im set for a while.
:thumb:

The healing brush works for small spots you want to remove, too. The clone tool requires more precision, but it'll work for larger areas. The healing brush tries to guess what should be in the spot you highlight, and blends it with the surrounding area.

Really great for taking your cousin's zits out of the family portrait, or removing small sun spots/flares from an otherwise well lit picture, not so good for big lens flares like that.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
binary visions said:
Look, Photoshop does not make bad pictures into good pictures. That's a pretty big misconception about digital photo editing. People think that you can start with an under/over exposed, blurry, out of focus or poorly framed picture and turn it into something like Derek, Spomer, or any of ther other great photographers on here post.
Uh uh! I saw on CSI the other night that they had a program that could zoom in on someone's tear ducts and extrapolate an image based on the reflection in their tears! I saw them do it, so it must be true!

:nuts:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
pixelninja said:
Uh uh! I saw on CSI the other night that they had a program that could zoom in on someone's tear ducts and extrapolate an image based on the reflection in their tears! I saw them do it, so it must be true!

:nuts:
That was the full blown professional version of photoshop - not the main stream consumer grade version (elements).

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jacksonpt said:
That was the full blown professional version of photoshop - not the main stream consumer grade version (elements).
To be clear, it was a third party plug in running in a demo version of Photoshop 9.

:rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
binary visions said:
reading the manual that came with Photoshop.
i wish i had a manual. :evil:

anthonysloan said:
Sometimes blurry is good:
i like that pic. :thumb:

jacksonpt said:
Blury backgrounds are often good... blury subjects are rarely good.
i like this one though...
http://home.comcast.net/~tbanning/KR12.jpg

manhattanprjkt83 said:
I hate when people think photoshop can make a horribly photographer good...
Works for me. ;)