Quantcast

Photoshop, Help needed

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Anyone that knows a thing or two about Photoshop, I'm asking for some help. I plan on doing a HDR this weekend of a bridge in D.C. What I need to know is how to merge the pictures once they are in photoshop?

If you do not know what HDR is, it is when you take a couple pictures w/o moving the camera...1 picture underexposed, 1 picture normal, 1 picture overexposed and merge them together. Or even more, I plan on using 9, to get an even greater effect.

Any help is awesome

This will explain any questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Open each image.

Select one to be 'base' image.

Copy, drag-n-drop, whatever, each 'background' layer in the other two images to the 'base' image.

Set 'Opacity' to 50% for each of the layers and manually align the image. You might also be able to do some other method of alignment.

If you want to merge at that point, set the opacity back to 100% or whatever you want, then 'flatten image' on the 'layers' drop-down menu.

Something like that.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
yeah, so you can see through the upper layers and make sure the same points line up.

If you have too many layers at one time, just click the 'eye' on the layer's box and it 'blinks out' without moving.

Aug 31, 2006
So you only set opacity to 50% when your alligning them? Then you change them all back to 100% when you're done?
If Opacity=100% and the top image fills the entire layer, then when you flatten, you ONLY see/have the top layer.

EDIT: I assume there's data on each layer that you want to preserve? You'll have to make layer masks to isolate that data.

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Not sure which PS version you have, but in Photo Shop CS2, you would use the Shadow/Highlight function on one image to get the effect you are going for. So much less work. But, if you are using an older version, the way you are doing it is the best/only method to achieve the results you need.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I also just re-read your original post, and clicked on the link you provided us. If you read the whole thing to the bottom, it provides some links for you that show you how to do it in CS2Here

and Here

That is, assuming you are using CS2

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Yes, I am using CS2

DOPE!! Thanks for all the help guys, I have a set of photos I'm going to try when I get home, I'll let you know how it comes out.

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Ok, anyone who has done HDR,(Blue)

Should I do 5 pictures?

1. Two stops uder
2. One stop under
3. 0
4. One stop over
5. Two stops over

EDIT: I want to shoot RAW also, right? It's kind of obvious I would, but just making sure. I usually shoot raw and Jpeg when I'm doing small stuff like this.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Another way to flatten an image, without losing your layers is this...

Create a new layer
Turn the "eye" off any layer you don't want merged
While on the new layer, select Image>Apply_Image
Change "Blending" to "normal"
Select OK

You will find all the layers that were on are now on that one layer "flattened". This is a good way of "merging" layers without losing any effects.

Hope this helps. :cupidarrow:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Dude, those pictures look amazing, I hope mine come out as nice as yours. Although they don't look like most HDR I've seen done, they are still awesome.
Eh, they weren't "amazing", they were just HDR...a snazzy gimmicky effect.

But yeah...5 exposures will be better than 3.

I've found that between 12-16 will get you the best results, however, the improvement in image quality will still be minimal if you took only 6 exposures.

Remember, it's all about the extremes in the light meter.

Did you try Photomatix? I'd advise downloading the "pro" version and PMing me. Basic doesn't allow you to tone map, so you still can't get HDR out of it.