Quantcast

>>>>Phucket Friday GMT<<<<

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Car is packed for a weekend of........not sure, but I aint stickin' around town. Just need to get this work crap done.

I think tonight at 12-1ish I'll be near Ottawa and then will ride around Quebec side early tomorrow morning. Then depending on how time works, I might try to head down to Sandbanks Provincial Park for some moar riding and swimming.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin peeps!

Just trying to get through the day. Supposed to be hiking Grays and Torreys with the wife tomorrow, it's her first attempt at a 14er so we'll see how that goes.

Other than that busy trying to plan for our trip next week to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Any suggestions?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Mornin peeps!

Just trying to get through the day. Supposed to be hiking Grays and Torreys with the wife tomorrow, it's her first attempt at a 14er so we'll see how that goes.

Other than that busy trying to plan for our trip next week to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Any suggestions?
If you have a canoe or kayak do a paddle down the snake river below Jackson Dam in GT. My friend Bryan leads a ranger led paddle twice a week.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Mornin peeps!

PM me with your lodging locations and I can give you more specific "pro" tips: like watch OF from 2nd floor balcony of lodge which has a bar AND Beartooth Hwy is a must do if you're in NE corner of park (similar feeling to high Alpine roads of Ouray, and as pretty as Glacier without the tourons, since the road does all the climbing the hikes are shorter and dramatic.)

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Car is packed for a weekend of........not sure, but I aint stickin' around town. Just need to get this work crap done.

I think tonight at 12-1ish I'll be near Ottawa and then will ride around Quebec side early tomorrow morning. Then depending on how time works, I might try to head down to Sandbanks Provincial Park for some moar riding and swimming.

PM me with your plans. Maybe we can grab a beer. I live within a stone's throw of the river, right by the War Museum. There's a few breweries close by. I'm not sure what my schedule is, but would be cool to coordinate if possible.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
G&T on a Saturday? Don't do that...

I've got traffic-avoidance suggestions if that's what you're looking for?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hey there, friends! I ran 4 miles on the high school track before work at a brisk 6:52 pace. I signed up for an Oct 14 half marathon. I will try again to break that 1:30 barrier but will probably fail again, although my training and 5K times indicate it's in my wheelhouse.

Just heard this hurricane is dumping up to 3 feet of rain on Corpus Christi TX :eek:
Holy balls.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
morning'.
beautiful day so far.
Saw a downy woodpecker, two bunnies, a huge buck with 12 points, bear scat at the end of the driveway (saw the bear a few weeks ago) all with a 1/4 mile of my house. not sure i could live in the city again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
morning'.
beautiful day so far.
Saw a downy woodpecker, two bunnies, a huge buck with 12 points, bear scat at the end of the driveway (saw the bear a few weeks ago) all with a 1/4 mile of my house. not sure i could live in the city again.
the other evening i saw a fucking owl hopping around on the ground near my brush pile.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mornin peeps!

What kind of suggestions are you looking for?
Food?
Camping?
Things to do?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What kind of suggestions are you looking for?
Food?
Camping?
Things to do?
I love food and can't say not to sampling the finest cheap food you have to offer. We'll be dispersed truck camping as $30/night to stay on a gravel pad 10' away from 50 people isn't my thing, and we'll be hiking beaucoup trails (and paddling if that's the best way to see things, though we'd have to rent).

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Electrician is supposedly, maybe, going to finish the 220 run to my garage. Jesus H Christ has this been an unbelievable clusterfuck. @Westy was right. Nothing happened here that I couldn't have done after a couple YouTube videos and a trip to the library, and it would have taken half the time. Lesson learned I guess. :banghead:

so my boss technically sort of isn't my boss anymore.
You finally got fired?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I love food and can't say not to sampling the finest cheap food you have to offer. We'll be dispersed truck camping as $30/night to stay on a gravel pad 10' away from 50 people isn't my thing, and we'll be hiking beaucoup trails (and paddling if that's the best way to see things, though we'd have to rent).
You won't be dispersed camping *in* either of those National Parks - it's not allowed.

I'd strongly suggest staying *within* Yellowstone. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck in traffic just to get into the park. Also - mid-day will probably suck in Yellowstone. I'd recommend finding a nice long hike to do between 10am-3pm and see the thermal features early in the morning and late afternoon/evening.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You won't be dispersed camping *in* either of those National Parks - it's not allowed.

I'd strongly suggest staying *within* Yellowstone. Otherwise you're likely to get stuck in traffic just to get into the park. Also - mid-day will probably suck in Yellowstone. I'd recommend finding a nice long hike to do between 10am-3pm and see the thermal features early in the morning and late afternoon/evening.
Not dispersed camping in the park, but hopefully there is something around the periphery that is awesome and convenient. I'm hoping that with back to school and most of our visitation being weekday visiting that it won't be too bad. But then again I've never been, so I dunno, maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Not dispersed camping in the park, but hopefully there is something around the periphery that is awesome and convenient. I'm hoping that with back to school and most of our visitation being weekday visiting that it won't be too bad. But then again I've never been, so I dunno.
You're gonna be doing a lot of driving to get in and out of Yellowstone for camping. You should at least get one night at Old Faithful Lodge so you can spend an early morning/late evening there without 1 billion other people.

Any way you can postpone your trip until after Labor Day? 'Cause that'd be the winner.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
morning'.
beautiful day so far.
No, you cant. People suck.

I saw this while recently out in the woods by a lake during an eclipse. Frogs also fell from the sky.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Not dispersed camping in the park, but hopefully there is something around the periphery that is awesome and convenient. I'm hoping that with back to school and most of our visitation being weekday visiting that it won't be too bad. But then again I've never been, so I dunno.
I sent you a feeler reply/PM, but I think you're right re: back to school and the park should be less crowded.

I hear you re: organized camping, but SS is right in that there is no dispersed camping.

You can throw down outside Cooke City (for free-ish or $15/night FS campground) and I know a few hidden local spots grandfathered into existing pay areas outside West Yellowstone, which would add 30+ minutes each way to your park exit/entrance but would check the free/minimal neighbor box.

Unfortunately most of the food in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is shite, but there are two taco trucks in West and a Tapa$ joint.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The BEST cheap food in the entire region is Street Foods in the Stagecoach bar in Wilson. Ridiculously good. Another favorite of mine is Teton Tiger in JXN. Indian/pan asian. There is plenty of dispersed camping outside of the park on Shadow Mountain (kind of 'in' GTNP...sort of). There is also gobs of dispersed camping outside of Victor/Driggs, let me know if you are going through there. More info about the JXN end of things upon request.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
easiest way to avoid traffic at yellowstone....get up at 5:00 AM....or earlier.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
looking back on my time spent in colorado....i should have been roadtripping it up to yellowstone atleast every other month...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

FTS Friday is here. Fell kinda hard last night rolling the hood with the pooch. There is a back straight on our route that has a slight downhill slop. She likes to haul ass down it, then we slow up for the short climb back up. About half way down there was a Lab mix on the right side watching some kids riding. I didn't let her get up to speed as I was seeing what she would do.

Just as we got even with the dog, she bolts in front of me. I brake hard and turn to avoid running her over, and go down hard on my left side, but I took it pretty well all things considered. The guy holding the dog says "wow, you took that a lot softer than I was expecting". I laughed and said I am experienced falling off my bike. Pole mount didn't break (I bought 2), so that was a bonus.

The harness was too small, but an exchange has been ordered. Likely won't be here until Monday, though.

Be safe out there.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
uncles cancer did not spread beyond bladder....6 weeks of chemo...should be cancer free.

cool deal.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
not like that. he wasn't terminated or anything, he's on a project that requires 100% FTE and is cross op-co for our business.
I have no idea what the last 2/3rds of that meant and too lazy to dig up the Nelson HAHA! gif