Quantcast

>>>>Phucket Friday GMT<<<<

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Futures show market slide ending. Sometimes I wish I could call people stupid.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
mailing friend third man records reissue of captain beefhearts "trout mask replica".....decided i will never listen to it

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Scored the skis I want on eBay, missed scoring the bindings I want on Craig’s list by a couple days. My jacket is off getting the massive sleeve tear (hit a tree) repaired. It’s snowing in the hills, and ski areas are starting to open. Booked a hut trip in March. Bring it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:mad:

Guess who just had the realization that remodeling this kitchen and the floors is going to be expensive and is having a case of buyers remorse a week after we signed the paperwork?

And I'm the asshole for pointing out I didn't want to do it in the first place.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
does the fed just like fucking with orange foolius?
It's not that. We've had a huge economic recovery since 2008 and they should have started raising rates probably 3-4 years ago if not 5. Then the Republicans passed the tax bill and they threw accelerant onto an already on fire (good way) economy. It started going apeshit and the Fed has been doing everything they can to prep for the expected massive fallout when it runs out of gas. You should only have massive tax cuts when you need to boost the economy because it's in need of gas.

This never-ending up market is only an indicator of the level of market correction we will see once the accelerated market runs out of gas (imho). This market and economy without the artificial boost should have started slowing realistically at the beginning of Trump's presidency (not on him, based on an 8yr market cycle). I'm a bit of a bearish individual in general, but I really don't think this will end well once it turns. You have a lot more people who vividly remember 2008 and a lot more Boomers who aren't able to recover (in their mind's) if they take a big hit who are likely to sell-off. If the Boomer's who hold a large portion of US stock sell-off, well... it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that cannot be stopped until some level of reason comes into play. It took 46% for the S&P500 in 2008.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Lost all gains ytd. Oof.
Isn't that just called a correction?

Edited to quote...
It's not that. We've had a huge economic recovery since 2008 and they should have started raising rates probably 3-4 years ago if not 5. Then the Republicans passed the tax bill and they threw accelerant onto an already on fire (good way) economy. It started going apeshit and the Fed has been doing everything they can to prep for the expected massive fallout when it runs out of gas. You should only have massive tax cuts when you need to boost the economy because it's in need of gas.

This never-ending up market is only an indicator of the level of market correction we will see once the accelerated market runs out of gas (imho). This market and economy without the artificial boost should have started slowing realistically at the beginning of Trump's presidency (not on him, based on an 8yr market cycle). I'm a bit of a bearish individual in general, but I really don't think this will end well once it turns. You have a lot more people who vividly remember 2008 and a lot more Boomers who aren't able to recover (in their mind's) if they take a big hit who are likely to sell-off. If the Boomer's who hold a large portion of US stock sell-off, well... it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that cannot be stopped until some level of reason comes into play. It took 46% for the S&P500 in 2008.
so maybe not a correction just yet? but it's coming?

Last edited:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Guess who just had the realization that remodeling this kitchen and the floors is going to be expensive and is having a case of buyers remorse a week after we signed the paperwork?

BONHONHOHHONHONHONHONHONHON

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

i will pour one out for your loss...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Do what I did: point out how many more years until you as a household can retire now.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Isn't that just called a correction?

Edited to quote...

so maybe not a correction just yet? but it's coming?
A correction is 6-15%. Beyond that is getting into a larger market cycle 'adjustment'.

it's a correction when it's other people's money.
It's a correction if you are invested appropriately. If too aggressively (ie too much stock) for your age/long-term goals/etc and the impact is far worse than you should be experiencing.

You don't lose anything if you don't sell.
Winner.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
snow.jpg

I'm supposed to be 4000' above where this forecast is for...

That's not a whole lot of freedums.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
A correction is 6-15%. Beyond that is getting into a larger market cycle 'adjustment'.

It's a correction if you are invested appropriately. If too aggressively (ie too much stock) for your age/long-term goals/etc and the impact is far worse than you should be experiencing.

Winner.
I don't sell/panic, but it sucks always sucks to see a significant loss of gains. I didn't think my strategy was too aggressive.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Picked up some jerk pork and a fresh bottle of their own hot sauce last night. Didn't realize how runny the hot sauce was and proceeded to dump a huuuugely portion on the already spicey jerk. Fuck it is delicious. But damn son, ring-o-fire has set in strong!

FUCK YEAH FRIDAY. Santa Cruz demo tomorrow, at a place that is mostly all rock. Its supposed to rain, I think. This should be fun?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Picked up some jerk pork and a fresh bottle of their own hot sauce last night. Didn't realize how runny the hot sauce was and proceeded to dump a huuuugely portion on the already spicey jerk. Fuck it is delicious. But damn son, ring-o-fire has set in strong!

FUCK YEAH FRIDAY. Santa Cruz demo tomorrow, at a place that is mostly all rock. Its supposed to rain, I think. This should be fun?
BRONSON IT NAO.

beautiful day here. temps finally came down to where they are supposed to be. now to figure out a plan to ride somewhere this weekend . . .

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Received a check last night, so a good chance to pump in some more money to Betterment while it's at a local minimum today.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
BRONSON IT NAO.

beautiful day here. temps finally came down to where they are supposed to be. now to figure out a plan to ride somewhere this weekend . . .
I will Bronson it nao. I've only tested out the 5010 previously, so this should be neat on the rocks. And hey, better to scrape that bike on the rocks rather than mine. :D

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
binding shopping this weekend.
need to go see larry about my boots too.
My gf is not buying a pass this season & has expressed interest in xc. guess I need to dig out my skate skis.
already wanting a beer.
FTS

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Scored the skis I want on eBay, missed scoring the bindings I want on Craig’s list by a couple days. My jacket is off getting the massive sleeve tear (hit a tree) repaired. It’s snowing in the hills, and ski areas are starting to open. Booked a hut trip in March. Bring it.
you going to Wolf Creek?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
same. woke up to a bluebird day but as soon as drove down the canyon it got gloomy again.
looks like it is gonna blow off though
Still a bluebird day up here, first day since last Friday that hasn't had 30 yard visibility all day due to the fog. Evans is looking very snowy as is the James Peak area.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Still a bluebird day up here, first day since last Friday that hasn't had 30 yard visibility all day due to the fog. Evans is looking very snowy as is the James Peak area.
I wonder if there is enough in the indian peaks to snow shoe saturday before the next round

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
you going to Wolf Creek?
Woof Crick is far... plus I have welding and gluing and screwing to do on the camper to make sure we can use it in the desert the next two weekends. If/when Loveland or A-Basin opens, I might go brave the junk show, but I don't need to ski that badly.

...Evans is looking very snowy...
:think:

Oh... MOUNT Evans. Derp.

I wonder if there is enough in the indian peaks to snow shoe saturday before the next round
I mean, considering you can just walk around on solid ground wearing snowshoes... I'd say sure.