Quantcast

Physical Ability Test

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I few weeks ago I was recruited to apply for a Department of Corrections job. Yesterday I took our state PAT test. I wasn't sure how well I would do but was fairly confident that I could pull it off with the run.

The first test is push-ups. You have to do perfect form military style with your elbows below 90 degrees. I didn't have anyone to help me so I had to guess for my training. I used a 3" cup and touched my chest to it on each rep. That was a good plan - in on minute you had to do a minimum of 15 or maximum of 23. I did 23 without a miss and ended up being one of 4 (out of 25) who maxed out within 1 minute.

The next test was sit-ups, again military style with legs at 90 degrees. You had to have your hands cupped over your ears (fat boy style) or interlocked behind your head. Changing positions would automatically disqualify participants. I chose to interlock my fingers and that was a bad plan. My expanding gut would not allow my elbows to touch my knees - I was about 1/2" off on my first rep. Being carefule not to loose my grip and become disqualified, I loosened my grip to the second knuckles and easily did the 19 maximum. I was very close to being disqualified on the first rep, but ended up being one of 4 (out of 23) to max out within 1 minute.

Next was the 1.5 mile run. The standards for this run are maximum 15 minutes, minimum just under 18 minutes. I did the run in 12:37 finishing second. I think about 8 runners maxed out.

In the end I had the highest overall score by being the only applicant to max out on all 3 tests. This doesn't say too much as the test wasn't very challenging.

I also did a preliminary mental test, panel interview and drug screening.

I guess they will call if I am qualified...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice work!

Man, I would love those qualifications. The Army standards are (max for 32-36 age group) 75 pushups, 76 situps, and 2 miles in 13:18. I never got above 60, 65, and 15:00, but I passed.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
dang...i don't think i'd be able to live with myself if i wasn't able to do at least 15 pushups in a minute :eek:

good job and top scores :thumb:

for our TAC (swat) team we have to run 1.5 miles, rest for 2 minutes then do a minimum of 35 pushups in one minute then minimum of 35 situps in one minute .....just to qualify for the tryout. i think i did the run in 11:45 and 52 push-up/55 situps and i wasn't anywhere near the top of the pick. one of the dudes i competed against did the run in under 9:00. friggin jackrabbit!

good luck SM! i'm sure you'll make it :thumb:

didn't you run a marathon or some endurance event a while back?

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
A couple of years ago my gf applied for a job with the department of corrections. She went thru all the physical tests, and there was only one she was concerned about passing. Had to drag a man a certian distance. In the week leading up to the tests, she would ask everyone who came over to visit if she could practice dragging them around. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
manimal said:
friggin jackrabbit! i can still do it in under 24 min but that hurts.
That's better than me. I can do 2 miles with ok speed, but just going 3 miles is a bit much. It took a while to get to 2 miles from the Navy 1.5 mile standards.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
splat said:
So you giving up the Life of Al Bundy ?
Well it would be small decrease in salary but at least I would be hourly (ie: overtime) and about 40 miles closer to home... I'm really not decided. I was recruited and just thought I'd see about it. After 5 years or so I would most likely be even with what I could expect on my current path.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
manimal said:
for our TAC (swat) team we have to run 1.5 miles, rest for 2 minutes then do a minimum of 35 pushups in one minute then minimum of 35 situps in one minute :thumb:
Well... you catch em... we keep 'em. The standards for COs are much lower. :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
BurlyShirley said:
I ran my fastest 3 miles in 17:54 when I was in the Marines. I can still do it at around the 20 minute mark.
We'll test you again at age 41... :oink:

my fastest 10K was run a 7 minute 6 second pace when I was 35. In my early 20s I didn't run so I don't know how I would have stacked up.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Serial Midget said:
Well... you catch em... we keep 'em. The standards for COs are much lower. :)

haha...that's what i figured. i think the fitness tests are different for our jailors here too. you'd probably lose a lot of good applicants if it was geared more toward pursuits. you would have done just fine on our general fitness test i'm sure. it seems like i remember you doing an adventure race or something a few years ago.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yeah... I had to go back to work. I'm a sales manager and don't do anything physical at work... and yet I still come home tired :rolleyes:

Being an unemployed bum for 5 years was great for outdoor adventure. Units Per Transaction doesn't have the same thrill. :mumble:

manimal said:
haha...that's what i figured. i think the fitness tests are different for our jailors here too. you'd probably lose a lot of good applicants if it was geared more toward pursuits. you would have done just fine on our general fitness test i'm sure. it seems like i remember you doing an adventure race or something a few years ago.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome deal man, it sounds like this job might be a great deal for you. Time is money...

But if you ever tell me to lift up my sack and cough on the trail i may have to shank your tires flat.:monkey:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That test doesn't account for the most important element of physical strength for a prison guard...the ability to squeeze the gluteal muscles tightly together in case things go wrong.

Congrats and best of luck...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
MikeD said:
That test doesn't account for the most important element of physical strength for a prison guard...the ability to squeeze the gluteal muscles tightly together in case things go wrong.
Are we talking the ability to crack walnuts?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I did notice a large stock of latex gloves... I wonder how they play into the scene? :clue:

Skookum said:
Awesome deal man, it sounds like this job might be a great deal for you. Time is money...

But if you ever tell me to lift up my sack and cough on the trail i may have to shank your tires flat.:monkey:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Rockland said:
A couple of years ago my gf applied for a job with the department of corrections. She went thru all the physical tests, and there was only one she was concerned about passing. Had to drag a man a certian distance. In the week leading up to the tests, she would ask everyone who came over to visit if she could practice dragging them around. :rofl:
That's friggin hilarious!
I like this girl. :thumb:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DoC kinda recruited me. Went to their thing and then they found out I was 18. Bastards. What is it with being 21, anyway?

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
jimmydean said:
Nice work!

Man, I would love those qualifications. The Army standards are (max for 32-36 age group) 75 pushups, 76 situps, and 2 miles in 13:18. I never got above 60, 65, and 15:00, but I passed.
indeed mine are 42 pushups, 53 sit ups in 2:00, and a 2 miler in 15:54 or better for the minimums.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The Coast Guard standards for men in my age group (40-49) is:

Run: 12:33 to 13:36
Push-Ups 16 to 21
Sit-ups 25 to 30.

I don't know if I could have done more sit-up in the one minute allowed because they stopped you at 19 regardless.

The CO standards are not high, my point was that at age 41 I was able to best a field of 25 candidates - most of whom where around 25 years old. Thats all.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Serial Midget said:
The Coast Guard standards for men in my age group (40-49) is:

Run: 12:33 to 13:36
Push-Ups 16 to 21
Sit-ups 25 to 30.

I don't know if I could have done more sit-up in the one minute allowed because they stopped you at 19 regardless.

The CO standards are not high, my point was that at age 41 I was able to best a field of 25 candidates - most of whom where around 25 years old. Thats all.
That is great work. Funny that they stop you at the max though. I know I would never have gotten my run times to where they were had it not been for the pointers you gave me. :thumb:

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
if you have any questions about working as a CO in a prison... fire away! i have worked for the department of corrections for about three years here in arizona... I now work full time at the firestation and maintain my job at teh prison.. i work out at aspc-winslow(for the arizona dept of corrections) i am on the SWAT team(called T.S.U.=tactical support unit) and i work maximum security (CDU/KDU) "the hole". anyway, i fuess im just trying to say that if you have any questions that you want answered honestly before you take it, let me know.... its a good gig! just be very careful! not that it happens all that often, but two of my buddies just got stabbed a few weeks back! what state are you in? If you go and have a choice, i would suggest working a higher level yard! i like em better! anyway, good luck.... pm me or ill check this thread if you have any questions!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
nikwho said:
if you have any questions about working as a CO in a prison... fire away!
Do the inmates fling poo like monkeys in the zoo? :oink:

Actually I might take you up on it... I'm curious about the career path though I have no interest in street law inforcement.