Quantcast

Pic of Santa Cruz mono-cock at Sea Otter

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by math2014
Hmm the monococque top tube looks suspiciously similar with the bighit. Anyhow, lets hope that this V11 or whatever will bring the v10 price further down :D:D:D:D
Umm, unfortunately the price went the opposite direction. I spoke with John at Santa Cruz who told me the price point. I was thinking of selling my 6 month old V10 and getting the new one, but the price he told me has made me rethink it....much mo money.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by El Jefe
Umm, unfortunately the price went the opposite direction. I spoke with John at Santa Cruz who told me the price point. I was thinking of selling my 6 month old V10 and getting the new one, but the price he told me has made me rethink it....much mo money.
So if the new one is going to be so much.......does that mean Santa Cruz will no longer be purveyors of affordable yet desireable DH frames? Not sure about the pricing over in the US but here in the UK, they are very competitive, a Foes and Yeti sit at about £2.5k, a Turner DHR at £2k while the V10 is very competitively priced at £1.8k with Hadley hub. As a result they are fairly well thought of as being able to bring a real top end frame in at a price more affordable than the competition.

So one of two things could happen............
SC bring in the new V10 at a similar price point to the Foes and Yeti's of the world, lose the following they built up from producing great frames at affordable prices

or

They run the new V10 almost as a dee lux version of the current one, thus having a real top end flagship frame in the lineup aswell as something more affordable for the privateers.

I would really like to see them keep pricing real compared to the other brands I mentioned, I for one have a lot of respect for Santa Cruz for what in the UK at least is slightly more affordable pricing.

Also, I heard a predicted mid 2005 release date for this bike, if this is true then maybe we are being a bit premature with our excitement and plans to sell old V10's etc!!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by Tenacious Doug

Also, I heard a predicted mid 2005 release date for this bike, if this is true then maybe we are being a bit premature with our excitement and plans to sell old V10's etc!!
I wouldnt do anything till i saw frames sitting on a shop floor. How many sold their bullits for the cash to pre order a vpp-free?

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by oly
I wouldnt do anything till i saw frames sitting on a shop floor. How many sold their bullits for the cash to pre order a vpp-free?
Exactly, there have been a few people on various forums all over the place immediately jumping on the sell your V10 bandwagon.....if I had a V10 I sure as hell would hang onto it till I had the new bike in my hands!

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
if youre into that schwinn chopper then you need to be checkin this one out....keep in mind that that "schwinn" is not the schwinn any of us grew up with.....really, its a cheap pacific with a schwinn name on it. our manager got all the promo stuff from pacific wantin us to get em in the shop....she tossed it.....ill be gettin one of these fo sho

RESPECT!!

P.S. it comes in three colors and will have a number of aftermarket stuff offered directly by giant

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by NoRoadtrippin
if youre into that schwinn chopper then you need to be checkin this one out....keep in mind that that "schwinn" is not the schwinn any of us grew up with.....really, its a cheap pacific with a schwinn name on it. our manager got all the promo stuff from pacific wantin us to get em in the shop....she tossed it.....ill be gettin one of these fo sho

RESPECT!!

P.S. it comes in three colors and will have a number of aftermarket stuff offered directly by giant
Price? Is it $200? The cheap part is what gets my juices flowing because I don't see myself spending a lot of $ for a bike that is moe for a couple times of year fun than a bike I am going to ride all the time.

Rhino

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Tenacious Doug
So if the new one is going to be so much.......does that mean Santa Cruz will no longer be purveyors of affordable yet desireable DH frames? Not sure about the pricing over in the US but here in the UK, they are very competitive, a Foes and Yeti sit at about £2.5k, a Turner DHR at £2k while the V10 is very competitively priced at £1.8k with Hadley hub. As a result they are fairly well thought of as being able to bring a real top end frame in at a price more affordable than the competition.

So one of two things could happen............
SC bring in the new V10 at a similar price point to the Foes and Yeti's of the world, lose the following they built up from producing great frames at affordable prices

or

They run the new V10 almost as a dee lux version of the current one, thus having a real top end flagship frame in the lineup aswell as something more affordable for the privateers.

I would really like to see them keep pricing real compared to the other brands I mentioned, I for one have a lot of respect for Santa Cruz for what in the UK at least is slightly more affordable pricing.

I'm not saying I definitely have the whole story, or that SC can't change their minds mid-stream, but my understanding is that this frame will be the new one and only V10 frame. Also, John from Santa Cruz told me that they do have them ready to ship after they get back from Sea Otter.

The price point he ballparked for me over the phone was $2650 for ano frame and $2450 for powdercoat. I'm not sure if this is for the floating brake frame only, the standard frame only or for the floating brake frame with hub. Also, does that include the ti spring or not? Still some questions, but regardless, it's going to be a price increase.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by El Jefe
I'm not saying I definitely have the whole story, or that SC can't change their minds mid-stream, but my understanding is that this frame will be the new one and only V10 frame. Also, John from Santa Cruz told me that they do have them ready to ship after they get back from Sea Otter.

The price point he ballparked for me over the phone was $2650 for ano frame and $2450 for powdercoat. I'm not sure if this is for the floating brake frame only, the standard frame only or for the floating brake frame with hub. Also, does that include the ti spring or not? Still some questions, but regardless, it's going to be a price increase.
Market conditions could always change that. If sales of the new one are sluggish and demand for the old one is strong due to lower price, I could see them keeping both around. 3 yrs ago, SC told me they were going to keep making the S8 and the V10 was going to be an elite race only bike. The S8 would remain the workhorse DH bike. Demand, however, for the V10 was so strong that they couldn't build both so the scraped the S8 to concentrate on building V10s. My point is, market conditions can always change the plans of companies and their marketers.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Price? Is it $200? The cheap part is what gets my juices flowing because I don't see myself spending a lot of $ for a bike that is moe for a couple times of year fun than a bike I am going to ride all the time.

Buying a chopper? What the H***?

Respect the real choppers, beotches. Learn to TIG.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
"Quit saying hella fatass"

"Kyle why dont you just stop being so hella gay"

"I hate you"

"And god hates you because youre a jew"

Did anyone see the Awosom-o episode tonight, that was so damn funny
"We must get our hands on this robot to turn it into a weapon, if there's one of these out already, then there must be more of them in Japan. And people may have already made them into a weapon."

"My God! This robot thinks it has a conscious and is an 8 year old boy, we must reprogram it"

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by mtnbkr4235
"We must get our hands on this robot to turn it into a weapon, if there's one of these out already, then there must be more of them in Japan. And people may have already made them into a weapon."

"My God! This robot thinks it has a conscious and is an 8 year old boy, we must reprogram it"
Eric is grounded because he tried to exterminate the Jews two weeks ago.

What?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Word on not selling your bike before you get your grubby little hands on the new one. Don't take SC's estimate (or any other bike co. for that matter) as any indication at all as to when you'll get your bike.

Has anyone seen any sign of the new Yeti DH bike? Or is that supposed to be seen at Big Bear?

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Straight after Sea Otter????? Woah! Now that throws my whole bike choice into confusion........especially since I just found myself with a bit of spare cash lying around. Guess I will be making some phone calls on Monday to find out more!

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Originally posted by Village Idiot
Heres another picture of the SC that I took at The Bike Show.
that is one hell of a expensive build. except XT....
its pretty.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by buildyourown
Market conditions could always change that. If sales of the new one are sluggish and demand for the old one is strong due to lower price, I could see them keeping both around. 3 yrs ago, SC told me they were going to keep making the S8 and the V10 was going to be an elite race only bike. The S8 would remain the workhorse DH bike. Demand, however, for the V10 was so strong that they couldn't build both so the scraped the S8 to concentrate on building V10s. My point is, market conditions can always change the plans of companies and their marketers.
Absolutely, I agree.

D

Dingus McGee

They look better in person, and Scott/SC told me he nixed the VPP embossing. All the racer bikes at Sea Otter were without it. (Except the early 'Kaenon' black proto)The thing is light I must say.

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
the more pics of it the better it looks, that red one posted earlier it looked beautiful, have to see it with my own 2 eyes before I can judge it, luckly the lad in the pics lives bout 2 mins from me, gonna try get me a go as soon as he gets it.

brock*