Quantcast

Pick me a TV (dinner)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
personally, i'm of the mindset that the speakers built into a tv are so crappy these days that i wish manufacturers would offer options without them to save on the cost.
what's 10 bucks then?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I heard you should just get a DLP, flat screens are stupid and won't catch on.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm extremely skeptical that TV manufacturers will be able to create *anything* that is a reasonable user experience. My guess is that eventually TVs will go iOS/Android and just be another "phone/tablet" type thing. Because all the intelligence already exists there.
A variety of technology exists to turn literally any graphical display into a touchscreen using standoff optical sensors. Primesense (the guys that built the original kinect sensors) were one of the biggest people doing this, but since their acquisition by apple in November all trace of this has disappeared from their website.

The leap motion controller claims to do the same thing, but in practice its kind of crappy. When this tech takes hold smart tvs will be a lot more appealing. Right now browsing on my Samsung tv is a truly excrutiating ordeal.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
A variety of technology exists to turn literally any graphical display into a touchscreen using standoff optical sensors. Primesense (the guys that built the original kinect sensors) were one of the biggest people doing this, but since their acquisition by apple in November all trace of this has disappeared from their website.

The leap motion controller claims to do the same thing, but in practice its kind of crappy. When this tech takes hold smart tvs will be a lot more appealing. Right now browsing on my Samsung tv is a truly excrutiating ordeal.
Well... I wasn't talking about the touch technology - more the "operating system" making all of it possible.

To think that Samsung, LG, whoever is going to spend the $$ to make something decent is somewhat delusional, IMO... :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
that's true, and kind of what I meant to imply...that they might go android after a few years of flopping around like a fish out of water.
Yep, I see this happening sooner rather than later. I am already using my Nexus 5 as a remote control on my tv with the Roku box. You can already look at the pics/vids on your phone on the tv. All that should just be a matter of time.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not sure if you guys get Sharp TVs over there but in Oz they are really good value, also have you considered one of the Android USB doodads to make your TV more smarterer? My sister recently grabbed a Panasonic Plasma and as with all panasonic gear(excluding cameras) it is ****ful to control and my Toshiba needs about half an hour for the flux capacitor to warm up before it comes on. As I have a bunch of old gear I am too tight to throw out I had no options as the Toshi has every input known to man.

On a different note do cheap Blu-Ray players play DVD-A?

EDIT- Some of the newer TVs have WiDi functionality built in, not sure if that's of any use to my Sammich.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I have a decent home theater setup, boston acoustics center and dipolar/bipolar rears with a yamaha reciever that sounds fantastic...need new bookshelf speakers for the l/r main channels...BUT...

I have a kid now, and soon she's going to be a toddler, and toddlers LOVE messing stuff up. We don't have room for a built-in stereo cabinet, and I'd prefer to skip something to sensitive to juice and soda and 2ft weapons of destruction as possible...so a built in speaker would be best. I also haven't had time to deal with even putting a movie on in the four months she's been alive, so having another 4 remotes for the sound bar, TV, cable box, and bluray player is a bit...excessive. I just want to turn it on and go.
If you get rid of your sound system, the tiny terrorists win.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm more worried about the corners of my mdf rubberized stereo "cabinet" claiming victory over the fields of infant forehead. Also, buying infinity more cables to get them to reach the appropriate locations.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm more worried about the corners of my mdf rubberized stereo "cabinet" claiming victory over the fields of infant forehead. Also, buying infinity more cables to get them to reach the appropriate locations.
you know you can buy speaker cable by the spool right?

also, you're starting to sound like the overprotective dad. baby proof everything ZOMG

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL, says the dude with no kids. Sorry that I think my exposed, expensive, electronics with plenty of lights and buttons that are kept at toddler level might be a potential hazard to the kid. Definitely overreacting. Next you're going to provide me some advice like "Don't bother with a carseat, it weighs more and will bring your MPG down. Just chuck her in the footwell and stabilize her with your non-driving foot."

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh, and I'd need to buy new HDMI for the blu ray, new optical cable for the stereo and cable box, and whatever else. You can use lamp cord for speaker wire.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
LOL, says the dude with no kids. Sorry that I think my exposed, expensive, electronics with plenty of lights and buttons that are kept at toddler level might be a potential hazard to the kid. Definitely overreacting.
my nephew is a year and a half. i've babysat him on average twice a month since he was born. my house isn't baby proofed at all. never had an issue. maybe try teaching your kid not to be an idiot would be a better use of your time?

Next you're going to provide me some advice like "Don't bother with a carseat, it weighs more and will bring your MPG down. Just chuck her in the footwell and stabilize her with your non-driving foot."
says the guy getting a roof carrier and hitch tray to carry around half his nursery :rolleyes:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
just keep anything with a pop out tray out of arms reach of said toddler....my brothers kids ripped those off the dvd/blu ray player at his house and the parents house when they were in the cute and fvcking sh!t up phase...