Quantcast

Pick my next car

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ok, I'm bored. (My boss is gone)
We are talking about downsizing and becoming a 1 car family.

Criteria:
holds 4 bikes and 4 people.
Gets 30-35mpg
Under $30k
Isn't a POS

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That is probably going to be tough. A Honda Element with a roof rack/hitch would fit that bill, for well under 30k. If the Tacoma, or Nissan Frontier still came in 4 Cylinder you'd be in business, but you arent going to get that mileage from a stout v6 unfortunately. A number of sedans fit that bill if you consider "fitting 4 bikes" includes a 4 rack carrier on the back, and or a roof rack and hitch mount of some type.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
is the mileage range overall driving, and do you do mostly highway? for 4 bikes, i'd go w/ a hitch rack and roof rack. i could fit 4 bikes and people in my civic, if i throw my roof rack on. it's well under 30K and can get much better than 30mpg.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I know it's tough, that's why I asked.

My current list:
Passat TDI (I like diesels)
A3
Element

Dex, subis get bad mileage, they're out.

Manzi, I already have a lifted f350. It's awesome for roadtrips but it's not the best daily driver.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
im not going to look it up, but i dont think the element gets more than 25mpg.

anything can carry 4 bikes if you have a big enough bike rack. you can get extra long bars for a roof rack or a hitch with a 4 bike hitch rack.

check that, i just did look it up
Element
City Mileage: 21-22 mpg Hwy Mileage: 24-26 mpg

looks like your looking at maybe a escape hybrid which gets around 30mpg

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
SkaredShtles said:
Now you're talkin'! :thumb:

What kinda mileage that thing get?

I've already got a beetle tdi. They are rated at 49mpg hwy.
Not all cars can carry 4 bikes. I can't get a hitch on the beetle cause it's too low and the roof rack situation really limits it's weight carrying ability.

The backseat in the Jetta is a bit small for me (I'm 6'1")
I'm thinking the Passat is my only choice, I'm just looking for more options.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
buildyourown said:

in that case, you should rule out the A3 as well as theyre on the same platform and I would imagine the seating room would be pretty close

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
I know it's tough, that's why I asked.

My current list:
Passat TDI (I like diesels)
A3
Element

Dex, subis get bad mileage, they're out.

Manzi, I already have a lifted f350. It's awesome for roadtrips but it's not the best daily driver.
We test drove the A3 wagon last week and it was amazing :heart:

Rob: There is no way you can get 4 ppl plus bikes in a Nissian Frontier :nope:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
buildyourown said:
I've already got a beetle tdi. They are rated at 49mpg hwy.
Not all cars can carry 4 bikes. I can't get a hitch on the beetle cause it's too low and the roof rack situation really limits it's weight carrying ability.

Why would you ever be in the back seat? :think:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Snacks said:
Rob: There is no way you can get 4 ppl plus bikes in a Nissian Frontier :nope:
Really. You guys do stuff kinda weird up in the PNW. Either that or you all are kinda big :blah:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Are you calling Snacks fat?

And yes, I'm afraid to drive the new A3. According to audi, the backseat is bigger than even the A4. Seems they sacraficed trunk space a bit.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Really. You guys do stuff kinda weird up in the PNW. Either that or you all are kinda big :blah:

Have you sat in the back seats of those things? I can fit back there but Tyler or any other guy would have their knees in their chest...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
And yes, I'm afraid to drive the new A3. According to audi, the backseat is bigger than even the A4. Seems they sacraficed trunk space a bit.
The back seat in the A3 was good, but the trunk is tiny! They do come with a full lengh sun roof :love:

We have finally settled on a Jetta TDI wagon.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
focus wagon, then rice it out :evil:

Have you considered something like a Mercury Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria, they are supposed to get near 30 MPG, they've got ample space in the rear seat and could tow a barge if you had to. You might not want RWD in the PNW, it's not a trendy little german car, and chicks won't dig it but it does meet your criteria.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
toyota solara? just throwin it out, trd the hell out of it (sport kit, suspension, and blower) and it will still get great mileage and blow the doors off most cars

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Kornphlake said:
focus wagon, then rice it out :evil:

Have you considered something like a Mercury Grand Marquis or Ford Crown Victoria, they are supposed to get near 30 MPG, they've got ample space in the rear seat and could tow a barge if you had to. You might not want RWD in the PNW, it's not a trendy little german car, and chicks won't dig it but it does meet your criteria.
Wow, you got some good ideas :rolleyes:
I do have a friend who is trying to unload a couple of police surplus crown vics.....

And yes it needs to be snowy road compatible. I don't need 4wd but good FWD is a must. I don't think an overpowered RWD car would cut it.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Honestley look at wagons, no sport ute or truck is gonna get the milage you want. I wouldn't buy a VW until they bring up the quality control(do a little research). So that leaves a toyota matrix(gets 26-31 even in awd) or a suby(which will get about 25, less with a roof rack). To carry 4 people/bikes you may need to give a little on the gas milage.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Snacks said:
Have you sat in the back seats of those things? I can fit back there but Tyler or any other guy would have their knees in their chest...
Well that's where the chics belong, unless of course they are driving back to the bottom of the mountain on a shuttle run :oink: :oink: :oink:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Are they getting worse mileage than they used to? My '97 Outback gets 25 with rack.

Of course, not with rack loaded with bikes. :p
We are getting about 25, right after the recent tune up.

Subies get dismal MPG.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
SkaredShtles said:
Yeah. That's my complaint. 25 is crap.

Of course, my Honda Odyssey is even worse. :dead:
but then again, except for the turbo models, your Odyssey is faster and handles better

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Kornphlake said:
Assuming you drive what 5000 miles a year? As a single car family I know we spend ~$60 per week in our saturn that gets about 30MPG, that's more like $3120 annual fuel cost. Desiel fuel is slightly more expensive in California.
Go to the ding dang site, noob!

:)

You can dial in the annual cost by mileage and per gallon fuel costs on the site. Pretty handy.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Kornphlake said:
Assuming you drive what 5000 miles a year? As a single car family I know we spend ~$60 per week in our saturn that gets about 30MPG, that's more like $3120 annual fuel cost. Desiel fuel is slightly more expensive in California.
$60/2.4=25 gallons of fuel a week x 30mpg =750 miles per week x 52 weeks a year = 40000 miles per year. Holy smokes man, get on your bike more