Quantcast

Picked up an SSD

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And my god, why did I not do this 6 years ago?

My computer is aging (Core2Duo e8400, 4gb of DDR2 ram etc), but this has totally transformed it into a new animal.

I highly suggest picking one up if you haven't yet. It might seem odd, but one of the best things is how quiet my computer is now. No more constant spinning and seeking noise coming from the hard drives (which when they all started to go, would vibrate my desk quite a bit..). I also no longer have to wait for the OS to finish loading my user profile. I log in and boom, its pretty much instantly ready to go.

Thought I'd spice this dead forum up a bit :dance:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incidentally, I tell everyone that, dollar for dollar, the single best upgrade you can give any computer is to install a SSD. There is nothing else you can do that is going to so dramatically increase the speed of the machine - it's ridiculous.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If an existing hole starts dripping ooze, yes. If places start to ooze where once there were no holes, no. No good on warts either.
I will keep an eye out for any oozing. I think I'm safe.

Incidentally, I tell everyone that, dollar for dollar, the single best upgrade you can give any computer is to install a SSD. There is nothing else you can do that is going to so dramatically increase the speed of the machine - it's ridiculous.
It really is great, even with my motherboard being a severe bottleneck for the system. This has definitely breathed some new life into my desktop computer, something that I don't really want to replace (no more gaming for me).

The sequential read speed is amazing.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Has an average life span of consumer-grade-POS-in-your-cheap-notebook-SSD been established, yet? Do not get me wrong, I love the SSD in my home PC (which, being 2 years older, only having 1/2 of RAM and 1/2 of CPU cores of my spindle-equipped work PC, is still more comfortable to use), but I fear one day it just says "Nein!" without previous warnings.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Bumping this goddam old thread... 'cause I'm toying with replacing my internal SATA SSD with an NVMe SSD (and the associated PCIe adapter). Anybody have any experience? Rumor has it that it should breathe even *MOAR* life into my aging PC.

Anyone running such a config?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I run a 950 PRO in my gaming rig over M.2 / PCIe x4. It is snappy but then again that rig itself is no slouch.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Bumping this goddam old thread... 'cause I'm toying with replacing my internal SATA SSD with an NVMe SSD (and the associated PCIe adapter). Anybody have any experience? Rumor has it that it should breathe even *MOAR* life into my aging PC.

Anyone running such a config?
I was looking into this for my work computer, but the main issue is not all motherboards/drivers support this for boot drives so it depends if your specific hardware supports it.

Assuming it will work, it should be noticeably faster than a standard SSD.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@SkaredShtles not much experience with that format of drive and can't remember exact details, but we couldn't get Windows 7 to run from it at work because of drivers (or lack there of). Though Windows 7 might as well be XP now. :D

Shit maybe I should read first, @JustMtnB44 already mentioned this. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah... I'm starting to think that my desktop is old enough at this point that I may just wait and think about this next time it's time for a "tech refresh" of the PC. The case is now almost 10 years old - have refreshed the MB/CPU/memory a couple times now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would have to think there are diminishing returns anyway unless you're doing extremely heavy disk I/O. Application load time only gets so fast since there's heavy CPU time involved too. And really, what else do you do on a home desktop that does a lot of I/O to the disk? Most of it goes to RAM.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I would have to think there are diminishing returns anyway unless you're doing extremely heavy disk I/O. Application load time only gets so fast since there's heavy CPU time involved too. And really, what else do you do on a home desktop that does a lot of I/O to the disk? Most of it goes to RAM.
Flipping back and forth between pron vids-n-pics? IDK.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On a side note; I've been using a Dell trial/loaner laptop here at work for a while.....sans SSD. The speed isn't too bad with this spinning hard disk of doom, but the noise! I've been used to the silence of SSD's for too long now.