Quantcast

Picking My Helmet!

dsmor180

Chimp
Apr 22, 2009
hey guys i started riding about a year ago and just started going to freeride parks last summer. This year, i wanna have a good full face helmet so i did my research. I found the 661 hybrid 2 ltd edition which is like 150-180 online and is made of polyeusturane or whatever and i found the 661 fenix fusion helmet which is 320ish and is made of fiberglass, carbon, and kevlar. My question is: should i go all out and drop 300+ for a crazy dot and snell approved helmet so it can withstand motorcycle crashes or REALLY hard bike crashes or should i spend 180 and get the hybrid 2 ltd edition one which does not sound as much like a bullet proof vest as the other one lol all opinions and suggestions for helmets except negative ones are welcome

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A lot of pros use moto helmets. I'm a wussy and I'm fine with regular bike full face helmets.

dsmor180

Chimp
Apr 22, 2009
i feel ya guys but meh what do you think is the better situation for me? i feel like safety is the most important so if its 320 for a dh dot approved helmet that i know can take anything then its worth it if i dont have to worry about head safety if its all covered.

Apr 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, CA
I would recommend trying on the helmets you are considering before you buy. You never know, a moto helmet might be a bear on the trail. For me, comfort is very important. I'm sure it is for you also. Consider how heavy a moto helmet might be compared to the bike helmets you named. Consider airflow and how the padding feels. Just my 2 cents.

dsmor180

Chimp
Apr 22, 2009
hmmm ok what do you guys think of the 661 hybrid 2 ltd edition or the 661 evolution carbon helmet. the first one is dot and snell approved while the other one is just a bicycle helmet. Interestingly enough i cant seem to find any specs anywhere for the weight of helmets.