Quantcast

Pickups and Bikes

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I may be buying a pickup this weekend. What should I be considering for transporting bikes that I don't want to just throw in the back? I've seen the racks that mount to the bed rails, and the tailgate pads for the wheel-over the gate method. Both seem to have pros and cons in price, simplicity, and security.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
ARE tall canopy and bungie ties downs is as far as I went. The tall canopy is nice cause I dont have to take off my front wheel. The only downside is that on road trips no one gets to oogle my bikes as I pass them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I see the pads as more of a short-distance solution. There can be some serious wear imparted to bikes if it's not working correctly. Most have been improved to fix this. What I'd do is use a pad for the short distances and get the truck with a camper shell for the longer distances/camping/going indoors to places. Not 100% secure, but not advertising a bike either.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
A topper has been my favorite solution for bikes and pickups. It's safe, dry, and out of sight of those with nefarious intentions.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Depends on bed length, too. I used to just tie the bike down upright like a motorcycle with the tailgate off or down in a short bed truck. I also put qr fork mounts on the aft face of a bed toolbox back in the day.

You can put an eyelet or something in to cable or chain lock bikes in the bed, too, whatever carry methods you use. Not gonna be a serious deterrent to a serious thief but does stop the most casual theft, along with at least making determined theft a little more obvious in the doing.

I have seen people with roof rack bars across the bed and bike trays in them, but that always struck me as overdoing it while minimizing the actual advantages of a pickup.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What kind of truck, some things work well witrh some beds and not so well with others.

In my Taco a moving blanket and a velcro strap to hold the seatstay to the factory rail mounted tie-downs works pretty well. Tailgate pads are trash IME, never had one that actually holds bikes worth a shit, they just block the back-up camera, scratch the shit out of your tailgate and wear a hole in the paint on your bike.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
2 tie downs (from the stem on a single crown) until the fork is compressed 2+ inches and a the rear tire can be secured with another tie down, or even a simple rope.

FB_IMG_1625248968465.jpg

Its fairly sturdy, you can do 50mph on dirt roads with no problems

Last edited:

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
If you’re going with a tailgate pad I strongly recommend getting a piece of pipe insulation to stick on the down tube part of the bike that contacts the tailgate pad and a bungee cord to run from the back bed eyelet to the bike. Been transporting bikes like this for years on Highway and gravel roads with minimal shifting and no wear on the bike DT. You can also run a cable lock from bed eyelet through bikes for trips into store/restaurant etc. but would not leave unattended for extended periods.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I made this mount out of an old bike rack and a load stop made by Yakima. They should steal my design. Not for everyone and only works if you have a rack and a long bed. But I’m proud of it and wanted to show it off. I use it on road trips so I can bring lots of other stuff and get the bike out easy enough.
B7417CB8-95AB-40BB-8F61-187F8B75B907.jpeg
97FB9DC2-A579-4945-894D-64D06BDB234C.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You can conveniently bring your bicycle anywhere with the help of bike racks. First, you should put a bike on a bike rack. The first thing to do is to open the bike rack. The next step is to hook the areas where the bike trunk actually splits from your car, secure and tighten the straps to put the rack in place. Lash your bike to the rack using additional straps for optimum security. Then, anchor the lower parts of the bike into the rack, mount and lock your bike on the rack, tighten down the frame to secure it.
d5c23eeac9538ff84833b13aa68fd458_full.jpg

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I used to have a mini van. It kicked ass and got me laid once. Did heroin in it once too. Good times, I miss that thing.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Just make sure you get a minivan with tinted windows. And if you don’t plaster it with stickers that say, “I’m loaded down with expensive outdoor recreational gear, please rob me”, you can park anywhere, unnoticed, anytime. Wanna poach your favorite DH shuttle, no problem. Absolutely no one expects a minivan to contain a crew of rowdy downhillers and their sleds.

Just make sure you get a minivan with tinted windows. And if you don’t plaster it with stickers that say, “I’m loaded down with expensive outdoor recreational gear, please rob me”, you can park anywhere, unnoticed, anytime. Wanna poach your favorite DH shuttle, no problem. Absolutely no one expects a minivan to contain a crew of rowdy downhillers and their sleds.
A white cargo van also has that advantage. Park on the sidewalk, must be delivering stuff.