Quantcast

Pics of my new hardtail

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Probably not what you were thinking, but here's a couple of pics of my latest project. It should be pretty cool when its done. The motor I'm using is from a Buell and puts out just over 100 horsepower.
[/IMG]

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Potroast88 said:
Probably not what you were thinking, but here's a couple of pics of my latest project. It should be pretty cool when its done. The motor I'm using is from a Buell and puts out just over 100 horsepower.
Dude thats fvcking awesome! Love the low, but raked front end. That motor will make that thing fly! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
WKC said:
Dude thats fvcking awesome! Love the low, but raked front end. That motor will make that thing fly! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Yeah, the front end is stock length. I'm not into the big, tall front ends.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
That's a sweet bike love that low slung style. It's just cooler than the big tall 18ft forks that allot of guys are using. The crown h-bar risers are super trick too. Will that crappy folding table hold all the weight?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cool. Did you do the frame yourself, or did you buy it?

I am currently awaiting an XS750 frame to cut up.

My older brothers XS650 hardtail should be finished before spring.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
that is sweet... :drool: Please tell me you are going to keep the spoked wheel... so many guys around here are building bikes with the cnc'd wheels that have no soul!!!:dead: that is beautiful so far... Keep updating us!!!

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
brungeman said:
that is sweet... :drool: Please tell me you are going to keep the spoked wheel... so many guys around here are building bikes with the cnc'd wheels that have no soul!!!:dead: that is beautiful so far... Keep updating us!!!
No, its spokes all the way. I'm going to tear the wheels apart and have the rims powdercoated. All of the polished/chrome aluminum pieces are going to be anodized black, even the front end. I don't really care for all the shiny stuff.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
stevew said:
Cool. Did you do the frame yourself, or did you buy it?

I am currently awaiting an XS750 frame to cut up.

My older brothers XS650 hardtail should be finished before spring.
I bought the frame. It is based off of a big twin frame. They cut the rear section off and built a new triangle for a Buell motor.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
maxyedor said:
That's a sweet bike love that low slung style. It's just cooler than the big tall 18ft forks that allot of guys are using. The crown h-bar risers are super trick too. Will that crappy folding table hold all the weight?
Yeah, I'm not real sure about the risers yet. They are cool, but they are pretty sharp. I hope I never lay it down, but if I do, I'd hate to tangle with them.
The table will hold for now because the motor isn't in yet. I have a lift, but its got another bike on it right now.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Here's another one that my Brother-in-Law and I are working on. The fork is going to be lowered about 2 inches. It will sit LOW. The clip-on bars are cool. They are vintage Tomasellis. Its going to have a boardtrack racer style to it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love the clip on look. I am torn between using the Buell and going hardcore euro trash like Ducatti for my chop project.

I like the frames from Redneck Engineering for the Buell. The Bobber frame with the inverted fork and HUGE front rotor mixed with a hand tooled seat is too cool.

Can't wait to see yours done, that looks like a great start. Have you thought about running a white wall rear tire?

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
If you're thinking about building a Ducati, you should check these guys out:
http://www.13choppers.com/13.html
The whitewall rear wouldn't really go with the style of the bike that I'm building. The other bike with the Indian motor has a whitewall.
Those frames from Redneck are really nice, but pricey. I talked to those guys at length in Daytona last year. They are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It was 13 Choppers that got me thinking. I like what they build, but I would use a Monster and make it a little more white trash. They use a 900ss and you want to talk pricey! They want $12,000 or more just for the basic frame kit.

As for the Redneck frames, they aren't too bad price wise compared to some of the others. I have also been talking to some local guys in Vancouver at Nash Motorcycles. They built a bike called TFN that was very different.

before:

After:

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Here's a couple of updated pics. Not too much progress, but I'm kind of in limbo waiting for parts to arrive. The first 2 are of mine and the other 2 are of my Brother-in-Law's bike that we are building at the same time.
[/IMG]

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those both look soooo nice. I just finished th dash in my truck this weekend, so I am one step closer to starting my bike to match.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
DRB said:
Those forks look a lot like somthing Cole Foster would do. Excellent look.
Its a Sportster front end with shaved lowers. The tank is actually a Cole Foster tank, but we cut the sides out of it and are making them flat.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Actually, they are concave, not flat. We cut both sides out and simply reversed them. Should have it all welded back up this week and I'll take a pic of it.

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Potroast88 said:

I used to have a FX motor in a paughco rigid frame with a lowered springer front end. I loved riding in front of people at night, hauling ass into corners and showering them with sparks, especially the kickstand side!

Badass bike, btw.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
That is going to be a very nice ride. I'm anxious to see it when completed. I hope you s-can the risers though. I'd hate to imagine a face plant into those.

I have a friend that is about to complete a '58 Pan that he has been meticulously restoring for the past 15 years. I need to stop by and hear it run.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Potroast88 said:
The risers are long gone. I am using clip on bars on the stock Buell front end.
Bastard! :thumb: That is going to be sweet! Now I NEED to build my bike before everyone thinks I lack imagination.

Can't wat to see it finished. What frame did you say that was? What is your rake? Mine will be no more than 32 degrees, yours looks closer to 40 unless I am seeing it wrong.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
DRB said:
That is the single coolest chopper I have ever seen.

What do you call a chopper in that style? Hardtail, but with a sensible head tube angle, a low CG, and without flamboyant styling?

How would something like that take corners as opposed to a standard, Nighthawk style bike?

What's the mileage and reliability like? Can you mount a passenger seat on a hardtail?

These questions are in no way meant to hate, I got my first bike three years ago, and would really like to build a rat bike style chopper with a similar design. Oh, and Potroast, your new ride looks amazing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
bikenweed said:
That is the single coolest chopper I have ever seen.

What do you call a chopper in that style? Hardtail, but with a sensible head tube angle, a low CG, and without flamboyant styling?

How would something like that take corners as opposed to a standard, Nighthawk style bike?

What's the mileage and reliability like? Can you mount a passenger seat on a hardtail?

These questions are in no way meant to hate, I got my first bike three years ago, and would really like to build a rat bike style chopper with a similar design. Oh, and Potroast, your new ride looks amazing.
The rake of the fork plays into how well it will corner, but your clearance of the frame will be more important. A bike that low will not be able to rail without sparks.

Your milage will suck compared to a stock bike, but depending on the engine used and how it's built, you can build a solid motor with great power and reliability. But with more power, you may loose reliability. And it will still be better than 90% or the cars out there.

As for a passenger seat, if you fab your own seat, you can fab a passenger seat as well. My brother in laws bike is a solo seat, but he has passenger pegs and a seat pad the sticks on the fender using suction cups (curtousy pad).