Quantcast

pics of UCSC riding

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Here are some pics of UCSC area trails taken over the past week. I was riding Specialized bikes (not Konas) for a job we are working on right now for Specialzied...

the first pic is a berm that you land into from a ladder jump just before.

the second is a rocky section that is super steep

and the third is a log across a river that is at least 10-12' high

Attachments

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
and these are a drop that is about 12-15' I'd say (of course pic does no justice), it is fun, it has a kinda hard take-off and you have to go out about 5-8' and then there's a gnarly root you have to clear on the landing or else... the first pic is me checking it out and the second is another :monkey: El_Chimichanga going big off of it, he cleared the root by a good 3-5', very nice. And the third is me hitting it.

anyway fun stuff!

Attachments

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
punkassean said:
and these are a drop that is about 12-15' I'd say (of course pic does no justice), it is fun, it has a kinda hard take-off and you have to go out about 5-8' and then there's a gnarly root you have to clear on the landing or else... the first pic is me checking it out and the second is another :monkey: El_Chimichanga going big off of it, he cleared the root by a good 3-5', very nice. And the third is me hitting it.

anyway fun stuff!

Awesome shots, did you hit the big drop on that enduro?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
nope, Demo9

sooooo buttery!

however it is totally doable on a smaller bike, the tranny is super smooth. In fact Lopes hit that drop on his GT "XC" bike, he was one of the first to charge it.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
...and the second is another :monkey: El_Chimichanga going big off of it, he cleared the root by a good 3-5', very nice.
anyway fun stuff!
Look at my stance, pretty typical for a mid-air picture of me. Nice rigid posture, perfectly locked arms and shoulders; about to hump the handlebars...I'd say that was a pretty good example of your classic roof huck-to-flat body positioning. All that racing I've been doing is obviously paying off.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
dead campers is soooo fun but sooo short. Oh well still freakin' fun! Especially after you are all pumped from that drop. When are you gonna come ride SC with us hooligans? We went on a sweet group ride yesterday, up sick and twisted to down mailboxes to up fenceline to down tent trail (sweetness?) back to HWY 9. We had like 6 peeps (4 guys, 2 girls) fun stuff.

Paul, your posture is indicitive of going big and bracing for it. You went pretty damn fast off that thing, I would say you were positioned right all things considered. Or you could just just scrub a little speed off there racerboy.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
DLo said:
Cool shots. I miss ridin:( Gotta get myself back there. Did you guys do world cup too?
Well, I can't speak for punkassean, but we had just enough time to do the drop, hit the rest of campers, do the jumps at the bottom, fix a flat :angry: and climb back up to the UC. We would have done Mailboxes but the sun went down.

Saturday some of us shuttled and I think the only trail we didn't do was lock-em-ups.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
El_Chimichanga said:
Look at my stance, pretty typical for a mid-air picture of me. Nice rigid posture, perfectly locked arms and shoulders; about to hump the handlebars...I'd say that was a pretty good example of your classic roof huck-to-flat body positioning. All that racing I've been doing is obviously paying off.
is "Nice rigid posture, perfectly locked arms and shoulders; about to hump the handlebars" a good thing?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
for the record which trails is world cup? I get lost out there??? Also what is the trail that splits by the burned stump where magic/sick&twisted/sidewinder/leaves come together, if you go hard right there is a canyon that is super steep and the trail swaps from side to side and then there is a long step down log hip-jump and then a brief up hill back to sick&twisted. That $hit is fun, whatever it's called!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Curiouscaptian01 said:
cool pictures.. what is your job?
I am a partner in a graphic design firm, we do misc. jobs for Specialized, Fox, Maxxis, etc. The Enduro shots are for an editorial I am working on for 4wheeler magazine called "bed-toys". The Demo9 shots were mostly for fun but might get used by Specialzied for '05 literature etc. Nice to get to ride for "work" sometimes. here are some links to my websites if you are interested...

graphic firm
http://www.cruxstudio.com

off-road editorial
http://www.trailslesstraveled.com

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
dead campers is soooo fun but sooo short. Oh well still freakin' fun!
Ronny Grady's girlfriend was hilarious at the bottom. She had this frazzled look, and we asked her if it was fun and she was all, "Yeah! Ummm, it was pretty hectic and scary though." It was like she was going back and forth between fainting and jumping up and down with excitement.

punkassean said:
Paul, your posture is indicitive of going big and bracing for it. You went pretty damn fast off that thing, I would say you were positioned right all things considered. Or you could just just scrub a little speed off there racerboy.
Nothing but smoooooooth style when I huck to flat.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Toshi said:
is "Nice rigid posture, perfectly locked arms and shoulders; about to hump the handlebars" a good thing?
Uhhhh, no. If I had some skillz it would say, "Nice relaxed posture, arms, shoulders; throwing a huge flattie whilst in mid-air."

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Wow, I gotta make a road trip up there. Dry, dusty SB trails are getting repetitive and that looks so sweet. Sweet stuff Sean!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
punkassean said:
for the record which trails is world cup? I get lost out there??? Also what is the trail that splits by the burned stump where magic/sick&twisted/sidewinder/leaves come together, if you go hard right there is a canyon that is super steep and the trail swaps from side to side and then there is a long step down log hip-jump and then a brief up hill back to sick&twisted. That $hit is fun, whatever it's called!
I've made a map. email me ratbastard1199@hotmail.com and I will send it back to you. See if you can make any sense of it.

I can make a composite map out of several web-based maps available, it's gonna take a while, but It will look good.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Zark said:
Wow, I gotta make a road trip up there. Dry, dusty SB trails are getting repetitive and that looks so sweet. Sweet stuff Sean!
roll up anytime, bring some other SB area :monkey: 's. There are a ton of fu trails up here and you can ride multiple of them in one big ride on your Tracer... :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Zark said:
roll up anytime, bring some other SB area :monkey: 's. There are a ton of fun trails up here and you can ride multiple of them in one big ride on your Tracer... :thumb:

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Acadian said:
thanks for the invite.
;)
------------------------*OFFICIALS INVITES*--------------------
We cordially invite(s) Mr. Arcadian of Milspitasess to come ride(ing) with us in the town of Santa Cruz and said local UC campus; whereas we will be galavanting through the single track in a vigorous manner (on bikes of course). Please to contact one of our local representatives as to whence-fourth such an occasion would be likely and Mr. Arcadian of Milspitasess would be available to come ride after work or on the weekend. BBQ and beers are a likely aftermath of such (said) situations.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
------------------------*OFFICIALS INVITES*--------------------
We cordially invite(s) Mr. Arcadian of Milspitasess to come ride(ing) with us in the town of Santa Cruz and said local UC campus; whereas we will be galavanting through the single track in a vigorous manner (on bikes of course). Please to contact one of our local representatives as to whence-fourth such an occasion would be likely and Mr. Arcadian of Milspitasess would be available to come ride after work or on the weekend. BBQ and beers are a likely aftermath of such (said) situations.
hahahahaha....I needed that!

BTW..you gonna be at N* this weekend foo?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
are you suing me or what? I don't get it, man F-this legal mumbo jumbo. I wasn't having no beers in the woods on my bike or whatever the hell you's is sayin'

but um yeah, come on over and ride all yall m-f-ers...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
paul, maybe we should go up to N*...I had already written it off but...Maybe DH tahoe still has some floor space??? show these biaaahz the SC stylie!

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Acadian said:
hahahahaha....I needed that!

BTW..you gonna be at N* this weekend foo?

Yeah, I was planning on heading up with 911...but on Sunday morning early and then stay for Monday as well.
Here's the situation...I promised a friend I would help her out with this massive beach/birthday party on Saturday. I CANNOT skip this time. I blew her off the last like, six times or something.

I want to sleep at 911's house on Sat. night (He'll be in Marin) and head up from that point. If you guys want to organize something with THAT kooky schedule let me know. Otherwise I'll see you guys there on Sunday.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
El_Chimichanga said:
Yeah, I was planning on heading up with 911...but on Sunday morning early and then stay for Monday as well.
Here's the situation...I promised a friend I would help her out with this massive beach/birthday party on Saturday. I CANNOT skip this time. I blew her off the last like, six times or something.

I want to sleep at 911's house on Sat. night (He'll be in Marin) and head up from that point. If you guys want to organize something with THAT kooky schedule let me know. Otherwise I'll see you guys there on Sunday.
for me, this weekend has been planned for the past year :D I'll be there Fr, Sat, and Sun. :thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
hmmm, sunday monday sounds kinda kewl, Sat will be packed up tight and sunday will be mellower and monday will be the mostest mellower of them all. but forget all that crap and just tell me more about this beach BBQ???? sucka' what??

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
punkassean said:
I ain't sure how to get to it. It's an entrance after dead campers I believe? Man I gotta check out all of the trails out there. The W.C. my friend took me down was just steep, steep off camber turns. My friend stacked hard off the first one and he made me get off and walk the rest. But I'm ready to go back.. :drool: