Quantcast

Picture from my woods

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Nikon D50/shutter speed 1/60 sec./f5.6/no flash, only sun. Overexposed because of the sun and long shutter speed. I will gte a better one when there is more shape I hope, or better in another way, I dont know yet.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah...looks like he's popping out of a shadow into the sun. Crank up the shutter speed to 1/1000 and only get his front half :p

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
blue said:
Yeah...looks like he's popping out of a shadow into the sun. Crank up the shutter speed to 1/1000 and only get his front half :p
He is coming out of the woods into the semi-clearing where the jump is. The whole point is to get a motion blur of the trees. ;) Plus, 1000 would be too fast I think, I have not used anything over 200 in my woods yet, maybe with more sun it will be different. I havent taken shots in there for a while. I'll post an update in a few days.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It shoudln't be too fast. Try panning fast with him. That should focus on him and blur the trees.

1000 wouldn't be too fast. Just make the aperture smaller. What iso are you using?

edit: With a faster shutter, the aperture would have to be bigger to let in more light. If you use a lower ISO like 200, your aperture could be 4.0. With this bigger aperture, the trees/background would blur depending on how far back they are because a bigger aperture has a smaller depth field (focusing range).

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You're not horribly over exposed, try flash at +2/3 and about f/11 or f/13 it should help with that sun. Also 1/60 is kind of neither here nor there for shutterspeed on MTB try a little slower for more blur or alot faster for no blur, that way it looks more intentional.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
maxyedor said:
You're not horribly over exposed, try flash at +2/3 and about f/11 or f/13 it should help with that sun. Also 1/60 is kind of neither here nor there for shutterspeed on MTB try a little slower for more blur or alot faster for no blur, that way it looks more intentional.
I tried slower shutters down to 25, and it was way too slow, they were too hard to get him in any kind of focus and sharpness. I'll try again though with you're suggestions.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You may know this, but it may clarrify some things. I just typed this after I pasted the chart from a sheet from my photo class.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
alright, just the thread i was lookin for! dwaugh, how do you like your d50...i'm currently really looking at it as a first SLR, but i'm not so hot on the kit lens...i havn't heard many good things about nikkors 18-55mm. i'm thinking of coughin up for the 17-80? i dunno, just looking around for input at this point.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
All I know, is that he seems to really like it.

I have a canon rebel G (film) (first slr). I want to get a rebel XT, with maybe the 17-80 (wide angle). I'm not sure though...

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
gsweet said:
alright, just the thread i was lookin for! dwaugh, how do you like your d50...i'm currently really looking at it as a first SLR, but i'm not so hot on the kit lens...i havn't heard many good things about nikkors 18-55mm. i'm thinking of coughin up for the 17-80? i dunno, just looking around for input at this point.
Check out the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.0. $499 and the build quality is excellent.

Dwaugh, you might want to try panning some more with the shot. Usually if you shoot wide open (f/2.8) with a faster shutter speed (1/250th or thereabouts), and maybe a bit of fill flash, you can get a good sharp image of the rider, with a nice blurred out background...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
gsweet said:
there are a couple of different kits often stocked. The D50 with 18-55 is a great combo. I have it and love the camera. I take it with me on our rides. some may think it is overkill, but I want good shots, so I take it with me. If you are not partial to brands, check the digital rebel XT it is a few more $$$ but it is a nice camera. I have other auto focus Nikon cams. so I baught the d50! It is everything I have ever wanted in a camera and then some. There are some features that some of the higher end cams have that I may move up to down the road, but I love the kit with the 18-55 lens. It is affordable (relatively speaking) it takes great photos, and is loaded with features!

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
yea, as far as the rebel xt goes, i was using my buds the other day and, while it is a nice camera, i just don't feel the same build quality in either the body or the lens (especially compared with the 18-70mm). also, the high iso capabilities of the d50 compared to any camera under 2500 is just stunning. seeing as i'll be using this thing in plenty of low light situations, i'm thinking that it has pretty much become a selling point. but then again, i havn't tried out any of the sony stuff or the pentax , etc.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
qualude said:
Check out the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.0. $499 and the build quality is excellent.

Dwaugh, you might want to try panning some more with the shot. Usually if you shoot wide open (f/2.8) with a faster shutter speed (1/250th or thereabouts), and maybe a bit of fill flash, you can get a good sharp image of the rider, with a nice blurred out background...
That Sigma ain't half bad, but for staight of wide angle stuff it has too much distortion for my tast untill you get to around 20mm.

Any hoo not to bust your balls, but in an average daylight situation you would have to shoot at ISO 8, add in the fill flash and you get about ISO 5 with that 1/250 f/2.8 combo

That shot would work at ISO 200, f/2.8 and 1/6400, and you would need to use high speed sync on the flash to shoot that fast.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
I got the package with the 28-80mm lens and I like it.

About the flash, I dont think it will work in the sunlight that well, but I will try. If my friend comes back today I will try this again and post here.

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
maxyedor said:
That Sigma ain't half bad, but for staight of wide angle stuff it has too much distortion for my tast untill you get to around 20mm.

Any hoo not to bust your balls, but in an average daylight situation you would have to shoot at ISO 8, add in the fill flash and you get about ISO 5 with that 1/250 f/2.8 combo

That shot would work at ISO 200, f/2.8 and 1/6400, and you would need to use high speed sync on the flash to shoot that fast.
No busting at all. Just a poorly worded post on my part. Just a few things for him to try, not necessarily all at once!
And the Sigma does have some distortion, but for the results vs. lens cost, it ain't too bad....

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
I tried again today but none of the shots were good enough to post here. I was shooting at ISO 400, f11 and 13, with shutter speeds as low as 1/25. I used the flash too. It is possible that I am just having trouble matching the speed of the rider, but I don't know for sure. Tomorrow I may get some self portraits at the dirt jump park. :)