Quantcast

Pictures from Downieville...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Went to Downieville last weekend and rode...that place is SO fun...it was a little chilly at first...a reported balmy 40 degrees at the top. Sure made riding through those creeks a lot of fun...

Before we started, from left to right, Ben (Benton) Mark (Ohio) and Carlos (Joe Pozer):

Here is Mark...although you can't really tell from the pictures, this is a really cool section...it's a steep drop in and a super steep techie up hill knife sharpener on the other side where you see them coming up:

Ben:

Carlos:

This is the stupid rock where I broke my hand last year. I pretty much told it to f off after owning it twice:

It is sooo pretty up there, California sure does suck!

Carlos with his soon-to-be-gone-dh bike:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I was there 2 weeks ago and I already miss it, Downieville rocks! Great photos DHG.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
Where are you, and where are the money shots?
I just IM'd the same questions. I also would like to know why Carlos' bike is as tall as he is. :think:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cool pics. I love where the trails goes after that down-and-up gully...glad you had fun up there, I was also there that weekend but we rode up in the Lakes Basin area instead of the usual shuttles. Man the riding is sooo tasty up there.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
OGRipper said:
Cool pics. I love where the trails goes after that down-and-up gully...glad you had fun up there, I was also there that weekend but we rode up in the Lakes Basin area instead of the usual shuttles. Man the riding is sooo tasty up there.
I just wish I would have gotten up there more...I took up wakeboarding this summer and loved it and didn't do any outta town riding. STUPID! I LOVE downieville...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dh girlie said:
Yeah it does...I know I have one of you from last year? Did we see you up there last year or the year before? It's of you riding up that same spot these guys are...I'll have to look for it...
That was two years ago, its crazy how time flys by :blah: 2 weeks ago when AnotherMike, Kidwoo, dfinn and I were up there thunder was rumbling overhead and was all dark and ominous. It was sweet! :)

Looks like the riding season is drawing to a close up there. :eviltongu

On the plus side riding in Santa Barbara in the winter is fantastic :love:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Zark said:
That was two years ago, its crazy how time flys by :blah: 2 weeks ago when AnotherMike, Kidwoo, dfinn and I were up there thunder was rumbling overhead and was all dark and ominous. It was sweet! :)

Looks like the riding season is drawing to a close up there. :eviltongu

On the plus side riding in Santa Barbara in the winter is fantastic :love:
So sad...I hope we can get up there one more time before they stop running the shuttles...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey just a quick note, everyone who rides in the Downieville and Sierra Buttes area should check out, join and support the Sierra Buttes Stewardship:

http://www.sierratrails.org/

This is a group of locals (including Greg, both Mikes, and Wayne from Yuba Expeditions) that do a lot of work to keep the trails in good shape and work on local advocacy issues. A good bunch of people working for a good cause!

I was up there for Epic #5 listed on the events page. Things didn't go as planned because of the weather but it was still a blast.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Shyrmp said:
Sounds like a plan! :thumb:

We should descend upon Zark's house in SB this winter and force him to take us to Tunnel...he owes me for shuttling :D
Sounds like a west coast winter monkeyfest in the making.

Downieville is indeed most excellent! If you had half as much fun as we did you were smiling for days.

From left to right: My bike, dfinn, Zark, and kidwoo fixing a flat...

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Just got back from doing Downieville today...it f'ing rocked!! At least Butcher and Third Divide did. First Divide (both sections) were kinda boring with a little too much climbing for my Stab Primo, and that was particularly painful for my friend who ripped off his derailler on a rock some ways through Butcher and coasted until First when he was convinced that the rest would be down hill where he really started to hurt. Sooooo much fun to take Butcher/Third with pretty much no brakes and let gravity do its work. Despite First Divide being super slow, we still beat all the XC guys down by a long shot.

Major thanks to the guy at Downieville Outfitters who drove us up there despite having some setbacks from the night before. The Yuma shop wasn't even open and hadn't posted a notice that they were taking Monday and Tuesday off - ticked off some people standing around waiting for it, but everyone got on the D.O. shuttle.

Northstar yesterday was absolutely amazing as well...almost completely empty since everyone was at Mammoth. Clear sailing on every trail and ZERO lift lines.

Day before that was a hike-a-bike on Crack, Mile, and Boyscout in Pacifica, so my summer's end vacation turned out pretty damn well with a ton of riding in a few days.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Shyrmp said:
Sounds like a plan! :thumb:

We should descend upon Zark's house in SB this winter and force him to take us to Tunnel...he owes me for shuttling :D

Force me to ride Tunnel? Thats like forcing a crack addict to hit the pipe! :) Are you ready for the rocks? They're ready!

Sounds like a west coast monkeyfest in the making. :sneaky: Time to start a thread in So-Cal forum? Nor-Cal would be "hella" invited too!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Awesome shtuff girlie.

i'm glad you brought down your vengeance on that stupid rock. Reminds me that next year i got some unfinished business on the Timberline Trail on Mt. Hood Oregon where i broke my leg. (Oregon. ugh....)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DHG, which trail did you ride? the only time i was out there we did chimney rock to (i think) 2nd divide. good stuff, even a bit scary at times (when we came across two bear cubs on the trail, that is).

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Skookum said:
Awesome shtuff girlie.

i'm glad you brought down your vengeance on that stupid rock. Reminds me that next year i got some unfinished business on the Timberline Trail on Mt. Hood Oregon where i broke my leg. (Oregon. ugh....)

Yeah that dumbass rock...first day, no problem, second day I think I mighta been approaching it a bit fast and tried to scrub off some speed and/or took a wrong line and flipped over the bars...all I know is that it was a pretty painful ride down after that, but I figured, might as well go balls out, I don't think I'll be riding again for a while...but yeah after riding it a coupla times this time I stopped to flip it off...:D I need that smiley doing the double flip off...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
DHG, which trail did you ride? the only time i was out there we did chimney rock to (i think) 2nd divide. good stuff, even a bit scary at times (when we came across two bear cubs on the trail, that is).
Started at Packer Saddle to Butcher Ranch to 3rd divide...and then I think we hooked up at lower 1st divide? I dunno...I think that's what we did...all I know is that is the sickest sh it...I love Downieville...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
LOOnatic said:
The route DHG mentioned i did at night and was really the money.
D.O. will do night ride shuttles if you have a group and set it up before hand.
I just happened to be in there when a group was doing so and they had an extra seat open.
Way sick ya'll :thumb:
Holy crap! That'd be scurrrry! But pimps like y'all don't git scurred bout stuff like dat!

J

JRB

We should do a ridemonkey documentary on "where are they now?" for missing monkeys.