Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

RazvanDH

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
Respect to all u guys, nice thread about the old bikes from the glory days of our sport.....I just discovered the topic and spent some time just reading and looking at the pictures, so I'll put some pics myself, I had the opportunity to ride for a time Be One dh bikes and to met the man behind the Be One Dh World Team from the past, Marcel van Der Hurk

Attachments

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Rob Ruppe (?) with his 8" wonder bike. This is from I think '94 at the World Cup at Mont Ste Anne (year before they changed to the crazy rocky course). Twin Risse shocks, MX front forks, ****ty Sach disc brakes (no one was using discs then...) We were all running 3" at the time...the vision!

Circa '96. Trophy/Lawill before Schwinn got a hold of Mert. 4 inches of bliss at the time...Also check out the Leader Forks (3" of crap for DH) and the Outland VPP in the top left with the huge 8" (or more?) Hanaberink plastic fork.

1994 Yeti Arc AS (I had both Risse air and the Yeti Elastomer rear shock). Whopping 1.5" of rear travel. Ceramic Mavic 231 rims, Grafton Joystix cranks, Onza pedals, Quill type A-Tac stem, 1 1/4" King threaded headset, Syncros Ti post, Union Frondberg Ti dye spokes, Grip Shift Xray 800 (with the optional extra grippy coloured grips), IRC Yeti FRO tires, Answer bar ends, Flite Ti seat, Ti cassette, blue alloy bolts everywhere,****ty latex tubes...haha

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
1994 Yeti Arc AS (I had both Risse air and the Yeti Elastomer rear shock). Whopping 1.5" of rear travel. Ceramic Mavic 231 rims, Grafton Joystix cranks, Onza pedals, Quill type A-Tac stem, 1 1/4" King threaded headset, Syncros Ti post, ****ty latex tubes...haha
bahaha.
hearing you talk like that sounds so alien to me...I guess I know how my parents feel about me now.

I understood King, Syncro, and Mavic (yeit's a given).
:clapping:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
This is a good one shame I can’t find a better picture. It had 2 shocks on it I think it was one for the rebound and one for the compression.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
bahaha.
hearing you talk like that sounds so alien to me...I guess I know how my parents feel about me now.

I understood King, Syncro, and Mavic (yeit's a given).
:clapping:
I had everyone of those parts except the yeti frame,

Marinovative cheap trick brakes rocked 60grams without pads.

Bontrager 118 bars that you could bend with your fingers.

Kooka brake levers.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
not that old, but finally got this pup back together. Frame is leigh donovans 2001 bike she got bronze at worlds in vail, her final pro DH race. I luckily had enough parts lying around in bins to build it as it was raced in 01'-minus the intense tires, didnt have her old maxxis ones laying around.

We usually sold all of our race bikes, but I kept this straight 8, one of the best feeling bikes ever.

Other bike is her 1999 ARE-SWEDEN world championships bike, TLD painted it for her. It was an M1 prototype, she had a fall and got another 4th place at worlds, not sweet. Tires are not original nor are brakes (she ran michelins there and hayes)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Must be nice to have brand new XTR's laying around the shop? If only their was a non-XTR specific 4-bolt spider for those.
I like the red, white and blue nipples on the rear. How come not on the front?
there is. there were a couple after market spiders that came out for the cranks. 4 bolt 104 and the 4bolt 110

edit sorry, meant to say 5bolt 110

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
there is. there were a couple after market spiders that came out for the cranks. 4 bolt 104 and the 4bolt 110
Really? Everytime I ask I am told they don't exist. I have seen plenty of Shimano 5-bolts both with granny holes and with out, and a while back I saw a bunch of 5-bolt spiders from I think Hersey. Never seen 4-bolts that weren't XTR specific though?
Company name, or better yet, link?

L

luelling

I have a friend who has one of those Schwinn bikes, built really similar but its white. Its a nice bike

L

luelling

How about pics of the "Giant" that Johnny T rode? I believe it was a Paul Turner and/ or Rock Shox prototype. It had 2 little links under the BB and a pull shock?
If I recall, its already been posted. It was a Rockshock/Giant joint bike...if I remember correctly (yes I was racing when it came out).

retroman

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
this post is old news now, I bought this disc mount from just james and i'm just waiting for it to arrive....

If anyone needs a disc brake adaptor for that fork, I have one sitting on my desk as a paperweight. Brand new. $97.35 shipped.
:)

Those forks were damned light. We don't have any left, but lots of little parts for them.

Has there already been any pics of the Crosstrac Sonoma on here? I was so in love with that bike, a whole 4" of travel! And a matching 4" fork!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
i saw a suppper old cannondale here in london yesterday, it was calles the scalpel. super obscure fork. it wasnt only lefty it had a hinge on it, looked like it was from 1997, haha
The Scalpel isn't that old, it seems like they came out in about 2002, they had a carbon fiber chainstays that would flex instead of a main pivot. As far as I know they were only produced for one model year, maybe two. The fork is definately unique though, I forgot all about those USE forks, it's kind of a neat idea.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
How about pics of the "Giant" that Johnny T rode? I believe it was a Paul Turner and/ or Rock Shox prototype. It had 2 little links under the BB and a pull shock?
Yup, I think it was posted towards the start of this thread. It didn't have a pull shock actually. Story was, from what I heard, it was between that design or the newer (now old) design for the 2002 lineup. The latter was chosen because of the low centre of gravity. I remember seeing one on ebay with a romic shock on it. It was out in the UK.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
The Scalpel isn't that old, it seems like they came out in about 2002, they had a carbon fiber chainstays that would flex instead of a main pivot. As far as I know they were only produced for one model year, maybe two. The fork is definately unique though, I forgot all about those USE forks, it's kind of a neat idea.
The scalpel is still in production and just underwent a redesign for 2008.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Yup, I think it was posted towards the start of this thread. It didn't have a pull shock actually. Story was, from what I heard, it was between that design or the newer (now old) design for the 2002 lineup. The latter was chosen because of the low centre of gravity. I remember seeing one on ebay with a romic shock on it. It was out in the UK.
Your right, found pics posted 1/2 way through, but it was a pull shock.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Respect to all u guys, nice thread about the old bikes from the glory days of our sport.....I just discovered the topic and spent some time just reading and looking at the pictures, so I'll put some pics myself, I had the opportunity to ride for a time Be One dh bikes and to met the man behind the Be One Dh World Team from the past, Marcel van Der Hurk
Isn't that the Vario Techno -Be ONe stickered version?
I think this is the actual Be One they started producing themselves.

So far, the best low-to-the-ground cornerworker bike I've ridden to date -and still owns one.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Anyone have any pictures of the CPC Patriot? I had one come in my shop a few months ago. Could have sworn the frame weighed 30bls

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
tri bars with dropped bar ends....???? 4.5" rst mozo xl on the front?????

that is some yellow though, dang. Guy must be a lemon farmer.

Although I must say I much prefer the mo/retard hyper tard modified y-bike with 20" wheels.