Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I have a few hardtails too, couple bandwagons, ftw dna, darkside, junebug, pitboss, supertouch cx bike, and the only road bike they made. :) :) :)
ooo, awesome. I'd love to see pictures of those as well!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Heck, I have all the information.

Don't call it a comeback.

More of a resurrection. We are out of the gravity game, except for fun hardtails for being a goon or slalom bikes. Too many people make too many great bikes for all manner of free-chuckery, and we'd rather go ride in the woods all day, any day. We are working on FS bikes that the media would call XC races bikes though...
We are a youth movement. I've collected kindred spirits from every corner of the country, and we rally around the flag of emotional healing and wholeness through bike racing. It's like a bunch of ladies sitting around talking about menses, but with race bikes, commuter bikes, coffee and a reading list... Oprah better watch out for Spooky Bikes.

-Mickey, the guy that owns Spooky Bikes and cries spectating at pro XC races...
great! Thanks for the heads up.
For those who haven't seen, here's some info on the frames:
http://www.spookybikes.com/frames.php

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
it might not be old an obscure but does anyone have any pics of the old Kona Stab Dee lux the year they first cam with the monster t?

it was the blue and black one with the bent tube and the monster t? That was my first real love with dh bikes and i cant seem to find pics anywhere...help!

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
must have cost a mint at that point! that is a rad bike loved that 'homegrown' version...didnt know they even sold that.
MSRP in 1997 was $5400 and that was with a RS Judy DHO:disgust:. Like many riders I worked at a shop then and got the EP price. The thing weighs right at 40lbs(the magic number) and rides great. As a matter of fact, I just got a gently used 05 Boxxer WC for it. I will have it on a week or so.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
what will you do if you need a shock?

Do you ride at diablo at all? I saw someone on that bike around the second week of oct...i definately noticed the classic...

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
what will you do if you need a shock?

Do you ride at diablo at all? I saw someone on that bike around the second week of oct...i definately noticed the classic...
I have a spare. Quite frankly the frame is getting old. I am more worried about it than the shock.

Never been to Diablo. I want to go next year. I race in the Southeast. Beech Mtn back in the day and no further north than Snowshoe. I am kind of surprised I have only ever seen one other blue S-6 in all of my years riding.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there was a guy in boston who bought a bassboat blue s6...had an RST fork on it, I believe, the sigma XL. got it for $600...I was watching the auction. Nicely stock, and I believe he commuted to class on it, at least once.

So, they do exist...

supersano

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Love this Kelly - went up on eBay last year maybe. In the vein of the awesome Sunns:

My own classic Rocky Cirrus, which has been recently renewed with a perfectly appropriate Lawwill Leader. This is what happens to an old AMP in a panic stop - saved my butt, actually - just rode it into the ground as I crashed and it self-destructed - and it absorbed it's last big shock very well.

And for the roadies - an AMP (I think) that I never saw but kicks the Rock Shox Ruby's ass...

And finally my own bizarre find, a torsion bar road setup from Japanese company SUS21 who normally play with aircraft landing gear. Awesome quality.

I have a request though for any old school gurus in the crowd. Back in '96 maybe, Mountain Bike Action had an article on cruisers with a nice KHS, and Indy Fab and some others, but also a tiny photo of some dude's custom cruiser with awesome milled forks. I remember MBA said they were Japanese, with a name like Nakamichi or Nakagami. Something with an "N" - - any clues, anybody??

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
That road fork with the bumpers is nutz! I saw the Kelly bikes on ebay and I wanted to buy one, but they wanted a lot of money for em :( Didn't Kelly go out of business? I thought that was why they were being sold

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Another

This one looks kinda like a Nicoli Lamba(sp?)

That's a Zenith Sake DH, a local bike manufacturer from here (Argentina). For the color I'll say it's a '98 one, had either a Fastrax or a RST rear shock. Both were a mess when the extender shaft bent. You could still see some on sale:

This one came out on December the 13th, and the following one on Dec 14th:

Regards,

Luis

PS: Anyone remembers the Specialized from around '96 with a dish (kevlar reinforced) Tioga rear wheel?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
My own classic Rocky Cirrus, which has been recently renewed with a perfectly appropriate Lawwill Leader.
(not suspension, but whatever) the old rockies rule. i'd love to have a fillet-brazed thunderbolt to hang on the wall. so classic. the summit was pretty neat as well:

i'm old enough to have actually ridden hardware like this (including the trick syncros fork - yeah, we got excited about rigid triple clamp forks back then). we've come a long ways, evidently.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
(not suspension, but whatever) the old rockies rule. i'd love to have a fillet-brazed thunderbolt to hang on the wall. so classic. the summit was pretty neat as well:

i'm old enough to have actually ridden hardware like this (including the trick syncros fork - yeah, we got excited about rigid triple clamp forks back then). we've come a long ways, evidently.
we have come a long ways, but we still prop our bikes up with sticks for pictures! :busted:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i was really expecting we'd have hoverbikes by at least 2001 (and robots would do all our work as we lived lives of leisure, and we'd eat meals in pill form whilst wearing shiny silver jumpsuits). i've been sadly disappointed by the promises of a utopian future by means of science & technology.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
a customer of mine had a rocky similar to that with all the original syncros stuff, can't remember if it had that fork or not.
it was tarnished in a house fire :(

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Ah the old Summit bikes! Those guys used to be Trophy Lawwill, then I guess they didn't pay Mert and flipped the linkage upsidedown to get around the patent. I used to race for Trophy back in '95 or so. They were good riding bikes, but had too much leverage and kept cracking the swing arms. I think I posted the original Trophy bike at the beginning of this thread.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
These aren't that obscure, but you get 2 for the price of one: My Giant ATX and somebody's '99 GT Lobo, circa 2000 at pre-Diablo Mt. Creek.