Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
18,770
9,488
AK
legend_killer said:
Fin A, that's what I'm talking about!

I was SOO close to buying it (and it looks like I'm not alone). I had to save my money for like two or three months longer, but I wanted that one pretty bad.

It was powdercoated orange a little while after, I definitely like the CNCed finish though.

What you can't see in the pic is the linkage arrangement, it actually had a floating shock (like the old tomac did).
 

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
595
0
Isla Vista, CA
AR_ said:


Posting on Behalf of tmx. If they were posted earlier i apologise, but i can't be bothered searching, im far too busy wondering where my bikes gone from my garage.
Is that the Rubber Duckie?
Is that style of seat still available?
 

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
505
0
Vancouver
man, all of those old cannondales were my childhood dream. does anyone have a picture of the original "fulcrum" dh bike, the red one with the non-inverted moto fork, and the double chains?
 

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
1,683
2
Portland
Bldr_Freerider said:
Lenz made the Wedgie DH seat a while back... Looks pretty similar to that one there. Definitely not a pretty thing, to say the least.
yep, the seat is from devon lenz.
 

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
695
0
montreal bitch
S.G.D said:
man, all of those old cannondales were my childhood dream. does anyone have a picture of the original "fulcrum" dh bike, the red one with the non-inverted moto fork, and the double chains?
somewhere, i've got the 'mountain bike' mag with the article about the whole c-dale dh thing. Anyone remember the carbon rear ends on on some dh super-Vs?
 

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
5,420
4,643
Australia
Avanti Moto Comp. It got 6" of travel out of that tiny little shock. I weighed 60kg back then and need to run a 1000lb/in spring to prevent it bottoming. Broke so many spring clips and shock mounting bolts. Snapped 3 of the seat masts off the frame and cracked the chainstays once. But the Bombers were plush as :)
 

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
1,889
0
Boston Area
Anyone else saving a lot of pics from this thread? Its allowing me to throw out tons of old "look what we used to ride!" magazines. Its fun to look at stuff that was once cutting edge and wonder what the hell we were thinking! :thumb:
 
May 12, 2005
977
0
roanoke va
meatboot said:
Dunno if Lawills count as "obscure" considering the length of the Rotec thread, but check out that chain ring!
Damn!! :eek: thats almost bigger then the cranks!! :eek: :eek: what like 104T or somthing. go off a 3 inch drop and bend the sh!t out of youe chainring.
sry pic didn't quote, it's on the botom of pg 11.
this thread is the best, hellova lot better than all the trash-talk threads :thumb:
 

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,622
0
Lynnwood, WA
Originally Posted by oly said:
I think my all time favorite product in the mag was the suspension fork that used 2 bungee chords and a reversed rigid fork.

The other thing thats always funny to me is that 1992 isnt that long ago... but man doesnt it seem like the dark ages for some stuff??
RhinofromWA said:
Could it be the long lost pictures of a

Creatone Peak SAS full suspension bike. :drool: Don't ask me how I remember that....:o::D
Found it!

I had it saved to an old disk.

The Crestone Peak SAS bike....rubber bands and all! It is a poor scan but maybe it will jog a few memories....circa 1993-4ish Long travel in its day.
 

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,622
0
Lynnwood, WA
bcd said:
nice scan i remember that bike
it has a vpp rear swingarm
I never saw the bike in real life....and that is the only picture I have seen of it.

I never could figure out how the rear end worked....especially from that shot. :)
 

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
422
0
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
RhinofromWA said:
Found it!

I had it saved to an old disk.

The Crestone Peak SAS bike....rubber bands and all! It is a poor scan but maybe it will jog a few memories....circa 1993-4ish Long travel in its day.
ha ha the old bungie bike! Those things were actually quite plush when just cruising around.
 

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
695
0
montreal bitch
what i want to see is a pic of the old bike Liken had, i saw it on their website a number of years ago, but it's otherwise an enigma to me.
 

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
15,457
12
Burlington, Connecticut
Jm_ said:
Fin A, that's what I'm talking about!

I was SOO close to buying it (and it looks like I'm not alone). I had to save my money for like two or three months longer, but I wanted that one pretty bad.

It was powdercoated orange a little while after, I definitely like the CNCed finish though.

What you can't see in the pic is the linkage arrangement, it actually had a floating shock (like the old tomac did).
Is this the Old Tomac you are referring to??

 

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
257
0
RhinofromWA said:
That's so hot..... but I got to ask... what did they pay you to ride down the mountain with a GIGANTIC billboard under your as-s? :p I almost enjoy the "cringe" of looking back at the past; but it still stings just a bit.
 

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
18,770
9,488
AK
MMcG said:
Is this the Old Tomac you are referring to??
Yes, but just the aspect that it has a "floating" shock, not the particular arrangement of it. Cool pic.
 

jonboy

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
22
0
Chicago
does anyone remember seeing the RAD fs bike? 1989ish? monocoque front triangle?

how about the white fs bike from bontrager/turner? first rockshox?
 

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,622
0
Lynnwood, WA
manwithgun said:
That's so hot..... but I got to ask... what did they pay you to ride down the mountain with a GIGANTIC billboard under your as-s? :p I almost enjoy the "cringe" of looking back at the past; but it still stings just a bit.
Dude that is the most comfortable BIG seat I have ever tried. Soft and narrow. As far as the billboard aspect of it....I say it is 1000x's better looking that a blacked out bike. That look is so played out...."oh I am to urban to have a company name" "they aint paying me to advertise" :rolleyes: Poser please! lol give it up.

Look to the LTS picture...same seat. I rode XC with it. It was a butt saver. I have a unused Red White and Blue saddle in storage, pristine, waiting for the next time it needs to come out....I even know where there is another one at a shop. :D

Seriously. It is that comfortable. Especially when riding with no bike shorts. Most riders slap a maxi pad between their legs via shorts....this ohad actual padding on the seat. :heart: :thumb:
 

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,622
0
Lynnwood, WA
RaID said:
im suprised you didnt snap that thing
thats all heard about those bikes
I think the snapping head tubes were more prone to the Aluminum lugged head tube. This one came after and the carbon HT was supposed to be "stronger" :D :rolleyes:
 

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
935
0
berkeley, ca
in about 1980/1982 reading a BMX magazine I saw a really interesting Bike,, was kind of a 20" BMX bike with a Motorcycle swingarm and a front suspension forks..

the name of the Guy that build it was brian skinner (yes I have good memory) and the bike was call "Decender" and the article was fotograf at topanga canion (I did a Goggle search last night but i did not find anything about it) anyway thanks to this guy and some others like Joe brezze, charly kelly and mister cunninham I got really interested into Dirt caplable Bicycles and purchace my fisrt MTB in 1983 from a marine station at the USA enbassy in Bogota colombia were i use to live..

anyway this tread is awesome and remaind me of the many ****ups and mistakes made over the years trying to figure out how to make bikes work..

thanks for the memories and the Laughts..

Oh i colect all the pictures of this tread on a Foto gallery for easy viewing.
 

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
1,889
0
Boston Area
patineto said:
.....
Oh i colect all the pictures of this tread on a Foto gallery for easy viewing.
:thumb: :thumb: My "MTB pics" folder had grown immensely since this thread started!

deweydude said:
I am still using a set of those pedals :love:
on my Norco team dh
So am I. But on an M1. I had someone gove me a pair last summer. Kind of a long story, but I was in my old shop when I bumped into an old customer who I had badgered in the past to sell them to me. Her first DH experience went poorly and they ended up on her ROAD BIKE!(Lemond Zurich) She asked if I wanted them, I said hell yeah, and proceeded to take them off. She wanted NOTHING in return even! I had a pair of mint 515s (Yes, mint 515 = oxymoron) in my truck that I keep as backups and she didn't even want those. I was so psyched. First time out on them I hooked a rock that destroyed my crankarm but put only a dent in the bolt-on cage. Those things rock!
 

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,622
0
Lynnwood, WA
RhinofromWA said:
My old STS



Great now I am quoting myself. :rolleyes: :)

But now thinking back....

1) Floating shock
2) Chainstay pivot
3) Trunion mount
4) Carbon Fiber of course

That was a pretty trick bike. The same guy who bought my RTS, bought the STS 1500DS converted back to stock everything and a new GT sticker kit. :)

It is not a good Dhing bike but it sure was pretty.

No one has mentioned the V brakes on the Boxxer....or the non disk 20mm ringle/Boxxer hub. I guess most riders were still in diapers when that stuff was around. ;)
 

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
1,889
0
Boston Area
RhinofromWA said:
Great now I am quoting myself. :rolleyes: :)

But now thinking back....

1) Floating shock
2) Chainstay pivot
3) Trunion mount
4) Carbon Fiber of course

That was a pretty trick bike. The same guy who bought my RTS, bought the STS 1500DS converted back to stock everything and a new GT sticker kit. :)

It is not a good Dhing bike but it sure was pretty.

No one has mentioned the V brakes on the Boxxer....or the non disk 20mm ringle/Boxxer hub. I guess most riders were still in diapers when that stuff was around. ;)
Never had V's on a DH bike, but I did run Magurs HS33's on a Boxxer-equiped DHS tube back in '98. You are right about the GT though. Those were some pretty trick and functional (when not broken) features.
I can still remember when the original LTS was a show-stopper at Mt Snow and having a discussion w/ someone at Sunday River about V's vs. Hydro rim brakes. Feels like a million years ago.
 

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,622
0
Lynnwood, WA
Repack said:
Never had V's on a DH bike, but I did run Magurs HS33's on a Boxxer-equiped DHS tube back in '98. You are right about the GT though. Those were some pretty trick and functional (when not broken) features.
I can still remember when the original LTS was a show-stopper at Mt Snow and having a discussion w/ someone at Sunday River about V's vs. Hydro rim brakes. Feels like a million years ago.
Those maguras were the stuff back then....especially pre V's. When you had to choose canti's or Maguras.....for trials or Dhing....the rim crushing Maguras were the way to go. :)

My bike came with V's so I didn't bother with buying disks or Maguras. I rode Snoqualmie pass (site of the Norba national and World Cup) with that set up.....pretty much a "freeride set up" with some success. The V's worked fine.

I must be old because everytime a "kid" complains his V's "don't stop" him.....I just want to slap the snot out of him. Give him a week on Cantis and he will worship the V brake gods. :D

I had Canti with brake boosters (aluminum arches) "servowave" Shimano levers (multiple changing leverage ratios) various compound brake pads steal wool and rubbing alcohal........to name but a few things we tried weekly to keep our Canti's working back in the day. Kids, they jsut don't know how good they have things these days. lol hahahahahaaaaa....cough...cough....*gurgle*...hahahaha....cough.....spit.
 

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
1,889
0
Boston Area
RhinofromWA said:
...

I had Canti with brake boosters (aluminum arches) "servowave" Shimano levers (multiple changing leverage ratios) various compound brake pads steal wool and rubbing alcohal........to name but a few things we tried weekly to keep our Canti's working back in the day. Kids, they jsut don't know how good they have things these days. lol hahahahahaaaaa....cough...cough....*gurgle*...hahahaha....cough.....spit.
A good friend of mine has what I think are Machine Tech levers. The end of the cable sat in a round indexed wheel. You could alter the position of the wheel to affect the feel of the brake. Kind of the same premiss behind the El Camino's. Pretty cool vintage stuff. I still have my first 2 DH forks- a Judy DH with 2 aluminum carts and a Girvin Chubby thats in pieces. The Judy still work well and is on a commuter bike. Its pretty cool to have been around the development of a sport. This will be my 11th or 12th consecutive year racing Mt Snow. I've gone from a Mongoose Hilltopper w/ a Mag 10 to an M1. My how things change!
 

-=JB=-

Chimp
Oct 4, 2004
54
0
Check this out

Richi Hulk: dual paralell damper, jackshaft and nexus hub

also a single damper version
 

Attachments

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,648
18
SF, CA
RhinofromWA said:
Great now I am quoting myself. :rolleyes: :)

But now thinking back....

1) Floating shock
2) Chainstay pivot
3) Trunion mount
4) Carbon Fiber of course

That was a pretty trick bike. The same guy who bought my RTS, bought the STS 1500DS converted back to stock everything and a new GT sticker kit. :)

It is not a good Dhing bike but it sure was pretty.

No one has mentioned the V brakes on the Boxxer....or the non disk 20mm ringle/Boxxer hub. I guess most riders were still in diapers when that stuff was around. ;)
I still have my 1500DS in my basement, and I was STILL RIDING IT last summer. Main pivot finally gave out, and I don't have plans to track down parts to fix it... but it's so damn pretty I can't throw it out. When I bought the thing in 98, it completely changed my opinion of full suspension... awesome bike.
 

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,648
18
SF, CA
RhinofromWA said:
I had Canti with brake boosters (aluminum arches) "servowave" Shimano levers (multiple changing leverage ratios) various compound brake pads steal wool and rubbing alcohal........to name but a few things we tried weekly to keep our Canti's working back in the day.
Yup, still remember my first ride on v-brakes. Went straight over the bars on my first parking lot stop. They blew my mind.