Quantcast

Pictures of you riding a mountain bike (Any wheelsize and type of MTB allowed)

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Yea buddy.
Where is that?
Mt. Waldo, Frankfort, Maine. Some people have been doing an amazing job building out some trails with great features while maintaining the technical, natural feel. You can count the berms on one hand, and they're present only where needed. It's like the anti-IMBA school of trail design. These trails have helped me find my love for the sport again at age 42. I can't thank the builders enough, and need to find some time to contribute to the cause.

I'll be spending some more time on other trails out there this week, weather permitting. I'll get some shots if I can.

POV and some other angles:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A short clip
Nice vid. My recommendation is to try it with stabilization off. With stabilization, I noticed it would keep trying to "warp" my wheel and make it "straight" up and down, which wasn't how I wanted it, I wanted the camera fixed and wanted it to turn about the axis and have the world be changing, rather than trying to make the world straight.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Mt. Waldo, Frankfort, Maine. Some people have been doing an amazing job building out some trails with great features while maintaining the technical, natural feel. You can count the berms on one hand, and they're present only where needed. It's like the anti-IMBA school of trail design. These trails have helped me find my love for the sport again at age 42. I can't thank the builders enough, and need to find some time to contribute to the cause.

I'll be spending some more time on other trails out there this week, weather permitting. I'll get some shots if I can.

POV and some other angles:

nice! need to try to get up that way if i can ever get away from the fam when visiting my parents...looks like it's about 1:30 from their place.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nice vid. My recommendation is to try it with stabilization off. With stabilization, I noticed it would keep trying to "warp" my wheel and make it "straight" up and down, which wasn't how I wanted it, I wanted the camera fixed and wanted it to turn about the axis and have the world be changing, rather than trying to make the world straight.

That's a really cool trail man you can go wide open and has alot of hits for getting off ground...that's really cool...

Your right that's alot better. I need to figure mine out I just started using one...I see you ride left foot back lol

Looks alot like Seattle area....

I do like that angle, today's gaps and step downs would have been cool but my mount busted, it pulled threads out. GoPro is sending a new one this week....

I need to find a way to tilt camera back more it hits seat post...I can go low but it puts tire higher. I want it so static tire is bottom 1/3 at most...

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
From back in 2009, first year of racing and there was lots of body English on a sub 400mm reach hardtail, hahaha!
1629710263936.png

Ha, just noticed the Kenda tire, cracked an XC lid because of that fucker!
Two rear rims a year and two BBs and a set of cranks a year kept the bike going. On the roughest section you lost the ability to focus your eyes so lots of trail walking was needed to work out a line, hahaha!

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
From back in 2009, first year of racing and there was lots of body English on a sub 400mm reach hardtail, hahaha!
View attachment 163867

Ha, just noticed the Kenda tire, cracked an XC lid because of that fucker!
Two rear rims a year and two BBs and a set of cranks a year kept the bike going. On the roughest section you lost the ability to focus your eyes so lots of trail walking was needed to work out a line, hahaha!
I cracked 2 of those syncros rims. :rant:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I cracked 2 of those syncros rims. :rant:
Haha, yeah mine dented, then cracked when I tried to straighten them.
A 2.5” Minion was far too wide for them, rolled the rear off a few times and the tube would shoot out and tangle up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Seriously, go find yourself an XL or XXL modern 29r to try. Just the increase in cockpit size alone will make you a lot happier fitted on your bike.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Seriously, go find yourself an XL or XXL modern 29r to try. Just the increase in cockpit size alone will make you a lot happier fitted on your bike.
Yeah, every time I see Bullcrew stoked about modern suspension stuff, I can only imagine once he gets on a bike that's proportionate to him.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haha shit stick...well played!!! Lmao
Seriously dude. How big are you? You might actually give me a run for my money as local giant. You legitimately look like an elephant fucking a pig on that thing. Those look like 26" wheels. What frame?

And @Nick might be right. There is a chance I will be swapping from my Mega290 to a trail bike. Looking at your pictures, an Enduro looks like what you should actually be riding.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Seriously dude. How big are you? You might actually give me a run for my money as local giant. You legitimately look like an elephant fucking a pig on that thing. Those look like 26" wheels. What frame?

And @Nick might be right. There is a chance I will be swapping from my Mega290 to a trail bike. Looking at your pictures, an Enduro looks like what you should actually be riding.
Lmao..i like bacon....

It's camera it adds 30% to me lol..

Bear humping a basketball circus act...that's usually my kids analogy lol

Large 951 27.5 front 26 rear.

6'3 240lbs and 8% bf...

I'll get a banana seat and ape hangers....I will make a xll look small...2" more may be alot to a woman but me on a bike I'll still dwarf the damn thing...I'll look around.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Might as well add a picture or two...
Oct 2001 - Plattekill, NY. Made for a fun flight getting there with 28 bike boxes...
mark gap_zpsszsabyf1.jpg

Circa 2003-ish Pacifica
stoney_seq_zpsvzyrnoeq.jpg

And my most recent riding pic...
broken.jpg

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lmao..i like bacon....

It's camera it adds 30% to me lol..

Bear humping a basketball circus act...that's usually my kids analogy lol

Large 951 27.5 front 26 rear.

6'3 240lbs and 8% bf...

I'll get a banana seat and ape hangers....I will make a xll look small...2" more may be alot to a woman but me on a bike I'll still dwarf the damn thing...I'll look around.
I'm 6'4" and the same, but a lot more bf. When I transitioned from a 26" (Yeti sb66, so already long) to my current bike (29" Nukeproof Mega290), it was night and day. It was the first time I actually felt to scale on a bike. And according to @Nick, I actually look like I fit on it; I'm to scale.

The Nukeproof is fucking huge compared to everyone other bike I've put it next to, but outside of sharp switchbacks, that long ass bike feels to scale. Even 27.5 still feel small, comparatively. Now that I've ridden a bike that's actually my size, my 26" Yeti 4x feels like a BMX bike. And that is also a long bike.

Trust me here, my fellow Ent.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm 6'4" and the same, but a lot more bf. When I transitioned from a 26" (Yeti sb66, so already long) to my current bike (29" Nukeproof Mega290), it was night and day. It was the first time I actually felt to scale on a bike. And according to @Nick, I actually look like I fit on it; I'm to scale.

The Nukeproof is fucking huge compared to everyone other bike I've put it next to, but outside of sharp switchbacks, that long ass bike feels to scale. Even 27.5 still feel small, comparatively. Now that I've ridden a bike that's actually my size, my 26" Yeti 4x feels like a BMX bike. And that is also a long bike.

Trust me here, my fellow Ent.
Yeah bigger wheel made a handling difference up front . Cockpit I've gotten used to bikes being small...I make my ol gxr 1k look small and my 450r lol...
I am looking at a commencal xl supreme dh...I want the intense but I think it's still a bit undersized if I go through the hassle of a new set up....
I had xl Canfield's...the one and several Jedis...they felt better for sure

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah bigger wheel made a handling difference up front . Cockpit I've gotten used to bikes being small...I make my ol gxr 1k look small and my 450r lol...
I am looking at a commencal xl supreme dh...I want the intense but I think it's still a bit undersized if I go through the hassle of a new set up....
I had xl Canfield's...the one and several Jedis...they felt better for sure
Look big. Like, really big. Commencal's are actually a bit short, even XL. If you want a DH (or anything big for that matter), look at the Nukeproof or a Guerilla Gravity. They are going to be the longest around. My Mega290 has the same geometry as my old Yeti DH-9, which was one of the longest DH bikes you could get way back. Hell, it's 2" longer than Nick's V10, and it's "just" a 6" travel Enduro.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't have many shots of me on a bike, I was usually the camera guy or I ride on my own coz I'm a jerk.
The bike I had to buy in 2010 because my Corsair kept falling apart, this was 2012-13, not long before the bike was retired.
Nicolai.jpg

Nicolai 2.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'll start to look...I'll check geo on a bunch and look for a good reach I don't mind a 50"+ wb...that's cool with me...I've always tried to stay with numbers that were mainstream, which is not effective.
Are you after a pure DH bike or just somthing focused on the downs?
Something you can raise a saddle and pedal?
Is there a lot of jumping in your riding?

The cockpit on the Clash is bigger than the different Supremes or the Furious.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
DH in a half dome lid? Risque
Nah, it is more like XC but on a big bike.
The first time I wore a full face at those trails I ended up writing off the helmet, 'twas on that little drop too. Was on the hardtail, got my line wrong, the front stalled then flicked me up and over the step.
Luckily I had already been shot in the balls that day with a paintball gun so it didn't hurt too much.