Quantcast

Pie plates, pointy rings and powerlinkys

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
shimano may be slow to respond to the changing market, but when they put something out its almost always ready for prime time. nothing like sram's road disc launch :rofl:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
shimano may be slow to respond to the changing market, but when they put something out its almost always ready for prime time. nothing like sram's road disc launch :rofl:
... or SRAM's misaligned Rock Shox stanchions..
... or SRAM's Elixir fiasco...
(feel free to add your bad memories to the list)

Now, back on topic, I want to see those narrow/wide multiple chainring cranks Shimano patented a while ago in flesh and blood.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
whoa, a quick link? from shimano? that'll almost singlehandedly knock KNC's aftermarket game out of business. I cannot believe they haven't gone that way before now. sheesh.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
... or SRAM's misaligned Rock Shox stanchions..
... or SRAM's Elixir fiasco...
(feel free to add your bad memories to the list)

Now, back on topic, I want to see those narrow/wide multiple chainring cranks Shimano patented a while ago in flesh and blood.
Just another reason not to go out and buy new stuff as soon as it comes out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Aren't 10sp and 11sp chains the same width? I thought the extra cog gets squeezed in by overlapping it with the freehub flange, towards the spokes.
Really, really close, but not 100% identical. You could probably get away with running an 11s link on a 10s setup but putting it on might suck.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Seems like Shimano is getting mar and moar SRAMized. They will release in the wild a new 11-46 cassette (with a rumored 11-52 XT/XTR level one in the works), a chain quick link and narrow/wide rings with moar sculpting to dodge SRAM's patents.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/29/shimano-put-their-spin-on-narrow-wide-chairings-intros-11-46t-cassette-quick-link-new-gearing-more/

If the ring is like the picture, it directly infringes SRAM's patent. No dodging at all. Basically if there is narrow tooth, and a wide tooth it is infringing according to SRAM.
Shimano's previous design did not infringe, but it also did not work....

Going to be interesting see what happens as SRAM has already started suing people.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If the ring is like the picture, it directly infringes SRAM's patent. No dodging at all. Basically if there is narrow tooth, and a wide tooth it is infringing according to SRAM.
Shimano's previous design did not infringe, but it also did not work....

Going to be interesting see what happens as SRAM has already started suing people.
Well, Ellsworth got away with it, I don't see why Shimano can't.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Ellsworth? Didn't know they were in the drive train game....

Are you referring to them patenting something that was already patented? In any case Ellsworth was never more than a rabbit sized turd floating in the toilet compared to Shimano or SRAM clogging the whole shitter.

You usually only sue someone who is taking sales/profit from you (or you are filled with hate like the Grande Ese). Ellsworth has never fit that definition, even in the hay day of snapping Truths and Dares.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You usually only sue someone who is taking sales/profit from you (or you are filled with hate like the Grande Ese). Ellsworth has never fit that definition, even in the hay day of snapping Truths and Dares.
After he "patented" the already patented horst link, calling it "ICT", Tony E gave an ultimatum to Dave Turner: Pay me or I'll sue you for using "my" design. Dave got to use the horst link in the first place because he worked with Mr. Horst on the Amp bike and Mr. Horst said he could said design, that was also given to Specialized. Ultimately it ended up with Turner changing suspension designs because he didn't want to go through the litigation and spend all his time and effort on the lawsuit, but it was a low shot to the balls from Tony Douchebag Ellsworth. Of course, just when you think you've heard it all, a dealer tells you some new-to-you horror stories concerning good ole Tony E. There's one I'll just keep to myself that I just learned about a month ago, but it's amazing how some people are just pathological liars and just can't tell the truth, no matter what the situation. Lets just say when you start turning over rocks, after a while you aren't surprised by what you find, concerning Tony E.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
who gives a fuck about tony e and his ugly as fuck bikes that no one buys?
He has none, he done and sold it off. He got his parachute and skipped the crash. Only problem is that they are still called "ellsworth".