Quantcast

Pieter making his mark

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Pieter Wehmeyer is more than just the “other South African” in the support team for 36ONE-SONGO-SPECIALIZED at the 2011 Absa Cape Epic.</p><p>
</p><p>
This is the first time Pieter is working for the team at this eight day mountain bike stage race. Along with Dylan van der Merwe Pieter is the successful support system for Christoph Sauser and Burry Stander.</p><p>
</p><p>
Pieter kind of does everything except service the bikes – that is Dylan’s job. From making their coffee, washing the dishes, cooking the pasta and vegetables, doing the washing to making sure that Burry and Christoph get their beer after each stage, Pieter is your go to man.</p><p>
</p><p>
After getting the riders to the start Pieter will start preparing for the finish.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I will make sure the camper is tidy; do some dishes or washing if needed. Go and to the necessary shopping and when I get back I will start with lunch. I will then pack their bags for podium and make sure the recovery drinks are ready.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Mostly Christoph and Burry will eat pasta for lunch that is usually an hour after the stage finished.</p><p>
</p><p>
“There is also the beer after every stage!” Pieter added.</p><p>
</p><p>
While the riders go for their afternoon nap, Pieter will again do the cleaning and prepare for the massages.</p><p>
</p><p>
The massages usually take an hour to 90 minutes.</p><p>
</p><p>
According to Pieter doing the job is not difficult, but making sure everything is done timely that is the challenge.</p><p>
</p><p>
“You must do planning and work according to a schedule. I really like to work with Burry and Christoph. They are nice guys. They really do appreciate what you do for them and that is great. Christoph is very precise with what he wants and how he wants it to be done, but that is</p><p>
also fine because then you know what is expected of you.”</p><p>
</p><p>
This is the first time Pieter and Dylan is working together at the Epic.</p><p>
</p><p>
“Burry said the other day that we might just be the winning formula!”</p>

More...