Quantcast

Pietermaritzburg - 2012 WC DH#1

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Well put, And I agree with everything you said ( and love the "aneurism in the booth" comment) it just seemed a bit out of balance with respect to Gwins breakout season. Maybe not as exciting as Hart's win, but in my eyes more impressive.

Both exciting and great that added up to my favorite season I've ever watched.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anyone thinking Hart is over-hyped should just go watch his World Champs run again.

I think a better question is whether the World Champion title is justified or over-hyped. It's an old debate: One-day vs. the entire season. One great run and you are the World Champion. Are you better than the guy who won the Wold Cup series overall? You were better that day, nothing more. But, you came out on top under even more pressure than a typical WC. That counts for something.

I generally respect the series winners the most, but there is something pretty special about putting it together and taking home the rainbow.

Then of course there is Nico...consistency at the World Champs anyone?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
OK, being ridemonkey and all... am I the only one to notice the blue coloured seals on Gwins 40's? They arent enduro seals, they arent the schmancy new skf seals, they are??????

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
1. Gwin
2. Minnaar
3. Mullaly
4. Brosnan
5. Graves

even with the lined middle flat section. this is still a power pedaller's course, especially if it's gonna be windy.
and mullaly and brosnan are going to beat out gee and mick at pedaling huh.

i'm biased, and can't help rooting for the east coast local, Neko. He appears to have stepped up his training this season, and by accounts looked pretty pinned at the PieterM National.

Brosnan has incredible power/weight ratio IMHO. kid power wheelies out of everything it seems.

Gee and Mick are no slouches, but that's my top 5.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
OK, being ridemonkey and all... am I the only one to notice the blue coloured seals on Gwins 40's? They arent enduro seals, they arent the schmancy new skf seals, they are??????
Moar blue and moar better!! Probably a Trek designed item so they can put their logo on every surface of the bike and put a cool blue icon in their catalog.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
did everyone forget about stevie smith? 6th in PMB last year, 5th overall with a missed race. i'd put him before hill, mullaly or brosnan here.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone else think that Hart is a bit over-hyped? Even though world champs is a very special race, it's still a single win.
Winning one of the hardest courses on the circuit, in the worst conditions, by a huge margin... I'm not sure hype is the right word.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Brosnan has incredible power/weight ratio IMHO. kid power wheelies out of everything it seems.
You mean ol' chicken legs? I don't think power/weight is an opinion. One of the few 100% objective facts. I don't see Brosnan's being that high either. To young, more or less developmentally impossible for him to have the muscle mass of Gwin, Minnar, Gee, etc.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
mic hannah is not a "big gun"??? have you seen his past results on that course? he won qualifying last year and was looking strong for the finals and went down. did really well the time before also.
Hannah may is a contender on that track, if he could hold it together. But if you look at the results of the last three years the big guns are definitely other guys. I my mind are guys like Gwin, Minaar, Atherton or even Peat. Also Smith is a guy with (Red)Bullpower so he's also on my short list for this race. This is only my opinion and I'm definitely no expert.

At the other hand, have you seen the kick-off vid of Specialized? Hill seems pretty fit, fast and relaxed. Since I follow the race scene I have never seen him in that mindset. He looks hungry and smiling and I hope he will be back on the top step soon.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Don't forget his other 2nd place:

1:39 :eek:
:eek:indeed! and how the fyck did rock jesus go faster then that. Rewatching it looked like Sam Hills val di sol run at champs where he just went obscenely fast through everything. Awesome run.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
protos like his tires, calipers, rear mech and who knows what else, standard big league stuffs.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Title misleading; thought there was going to be a catfight with a new trophy girl.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Have I missed something, more than likely. Who is showing the event live? I havent seen any updates to this critical issue. I for one think this could be one of the best years, so many contenders.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
Any word on re-broadcasts??
I have a feeling the times are going to be really tight. I think everyone bumped up there training and are down playing it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Does anyone else think that Hart is a bit over-hyped? Even though world champs is a very special race, it's still a single win. I think dominating the world cups like Hill or Gwin have done is more impressive and convincing that someone is the best. That being said, I love watching Hart and hope he does well.
Here's my "top 5" guess, for SA, and the season:

1 Gwin
2 Atherton
3 Minnar
4 Hill
5 Brosnan
He was also 2nd at FT. William after some quite big mistakes. That's a physical track.

As for my top 5.

1. Greg
2. Mick
3. Gwin
4. Gee
5. Graves