Quantcast

Pike 454 coil vs Argyle 409

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I still want a pike 426 with some dual 4 barrels... or I mean the duke 63mm-108 U-turn.

Has nothing to do with function, but I just cannot stand chrome stanchions for some reason.... New 4X or Argyle.... nah. If the whole entire fork was chrome, then I could dig it, but not just the stanchions alone...
Sorry, I guess I didn't have much worth to add here!

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I LOVE the chrome stanchions. Matches the silver, black and white:

(Unwarranted gratuitous photo opportunity)

But I can't compare the two without info. What bike, riding style, riding type (park/DJ/all?), bike etc.

I love my 318. I personally am not 100% sold on air forks. I like the coil as I can make them perform to what my riding style is. With the air I imagine I could do the same, but I just can't get over my experience with an air shock - which did not work well.

pHeller

Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
The wonderful thing about the Pike is the U-Turn. You can use this fork on multiple bikes for multiple applications and it will do all of them well.

Combine this with Motion Control for riding the park or the steep climbs if you ever use it on a XC bike, and you've got a great fork for the money.

The 454 is maybe a pound or two heavier than XC only forks, just a hair over 5lbs, and you'll have to search far and wide to find someone who has broken a Pike. People have bent the aluminum steerer on the 454 though. The price you pay to shave some weight. Really, the coil version of the Pike is not all that heavier and much better suited for DJ/Park.

The Argyle is a great fork, but if 3-4 years down the road your ready to move to XC or AM, you'll have to find a longer travel fork.

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
I have an Argyle 409 lowered to 80mm, and my buddy has a (non-U-Turn) Pike lowered to about the same. Honestly, I can't tell much of a practical difference for jumping. Both are fantastic forks.

I don't know anything about the new 4x, but I have a last generation 4x and it's nice, but I prefer the feel of the Argyle. The damping is far better controlled, which makes it feel much smoother to me.