Quantcast

Pike 454 understanding cross compatibility

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just picked up a pike 454 used that's in pretty decent shape outside of some solid bushing wear on the moco side. I'm planning on using it for a dirt jump fork, and I only paid $100 for it, so it's not the end of the world, but I'm interested in seeing what I can do to fix it up, since, well, I can.

The upper bushing looks pretty worn, and the stanchion has wear through to the ano. If I drop the fork to 110mm, or even utilize a spacer to drop it further to 95-110mm travel, the bushing wear area will be completely hidden below the seal, where it'll be less of an issue as it won't cross that barrier. I imagine I'll still get some wear, but will it be quick or serious?

The other half of the question is, what RS products are cross compatible? Can I buy new uppers from another fork? Would an argyle work, or are there certain parts that won't bolt in (ie damper and air spring)? A new bushing is relatively cheap at like $6, so I'd be OK doing that and keeping the lowers that I have, but the CSU is rather pricey at $90 for a steel steerer. Can I use coil pike parts on my dual air fork?

should I just ignore all this and run what I brung until it melts into a puddle? It's replacing a psylo that I traded a set of handlebars for, so I'm not TOO worried...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what year is the fork? IIRC for a few years a lot of revelation parts were cross compatible. FWIW I'm running pike lowers (first gen) on an '08 revelation.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No idea. I'll grab some pics when I get home. It's a 454 dual air uturn. 20mm maxle, 1 1/8th. Green lowers. I believe it has the hollow crown, which would be a shame to lose or replace with something steel, but if I can get a cheap reliable fix i might be tempted to fix it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They usually only wear on the front of the stanchion so turn the lowers round and run reverse trail, 29er riders will be frothing and you get a bit more life from the bushings.

Last edited: