Quantcast

Pike Air?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hey whattup all, thinking about getting a pike air and wondering what's the word from the monkies? I did a search, lots of positive feedback on the coil versions but not too much about the air. I'm looking at one of the '06 air u-turn models but any comments on the '05 would be great. I'm a little under 200 lbs and will put it on my heckler, to be used for pretty much everything, including trail and light DH in the Norcal area. Might be convinced to get a coil but the light weight and adjustability of the dual air is pretty tempting...thanks.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have never had a problem with any rockshox dual air fork. i actually prefer is over any other spring media. i have been using dual air since 1999 and t has never failed on me.

but that u-turn air sounds interesting. i would like to try one myself. but i know that i would never use the u-turn function.

jonboy

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
Chicago
After years of coil/oil forks I made the move to a Pike Air. 9 months going and I haven't had any problems - it's been a great fork.

It's smooth, easy to tune (even on a per ride bases), plenty strong and light all at a fair price.

I've got mine on front of a 5.5 w/ Fow RP3 and the balance is perfect.

I say get it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
If I had 4 hands, I would give the Pike Dual Air 4 thumbs up!! :thumb:

I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it. The option of setting the + and - air pressure makes it a very tunable fork. I have mine on a 5-spot with a Pushed RP3 and it's also a perfect balance.

you might want to wait for the new 06 Air U-Turn Pikes?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
How much Lighter is a pike air than a regular pike?

I squished on a pike air u-turn today felt pretty good for a cyle on the pavement test. The new Uturn lever is sweet really solid.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks, keep it coming. Luc I thought you were on the coil version - good to know you're stoked. And yeah I would prefer an '06 to get the air u-turn, aluminum hardware, etc. Has anyone had any problems with oil leaks, blown seals, etc.? Maybe I'm still living in the age of the Mag 21 but I'm a little concerned about hard hits - I'm about 200 lbs and although lots of colorful words have been used to describe my riding, "finesse" is not one of them...

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I've had one for about 6 months, and really like it. Like Acadian said, it's very tunable. Steering precision is very good, and the Maxle is a cool feature.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Acadian said:
If I had 4 hands, I would give the Pike Dual Air 4 thumbs up!! :thumb:

I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it. The option of setting the + and - air pressure makes it a very tunable fork. I have mine on a 5-spot with a Pushed RP3 and it's also a perfect balance.

you might want to wait for the new 06 Air U-Turn Pikes?

Luc, aren't we the same height?
Why is your saddle up there visiting God? ;)
I run the same saddle/post but a lot lower, I can't imagine how much that thing flexes at that height. :eek:
That Pike looks great on the Spot BTW.

heggenes

Chimp
Feb 23, 2002
I have the 05 race air on my transition preston fr along with a pushed rp3 and am loving both. The Pikes low weight and lock out make it nice for the climbs and when it's pointed down it has a stiff and accurate feel. Like the others mentioned the tunability is great! straight forward and it works. I'm planning on putting an 06 model on my hardtail.