Quantcast

Pike: jumping with lockout on?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Since I can't find rockshox email on their site and it's too late to call them, I figured I'd ask here. Does it harm the pike to jump with it locked out? Say floodgate at <50% threshold. It feels nice on certain jumps to lock it out, but I know with some forks it isn't recommended. the pike user's manual advocates riding trails with it locked out some of the time, but trails submit the fork to much different forces than jumping

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I don't see why it would be an issue...if you overwhelm the floodgate damper, the fork moves instead of killing the damper (ala Manitou).

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
bikerpunk98199 said:
i use mine at 90mm w/ a stiff spring i way 150 it works great.
even the x-firm spring is too soft (at least for my preferences). I weigh 180 and run it at 95-100. That's why I was wondering about the lockout.

chico: that's what I was thinking, but sometimes it seems like the lockout doesn't work too well after I've been jumping with it on for a while

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The lockout on those forks works/relies on having a completly full oil reservoir. Having stripped the pure system I am utterly unsurprised that some has probably leaked out during DJing. You probably need to top up the oil in the fork to get the lockout working properly again.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Changleen said:
The lockout on those forks works/relies on having a completly full oil reservoir. Having stripped the pure system I am utterly unsurprised that some has probably leaked out during DJing. You probably need to top up the oil in the fork to get the lockout working properly again.
Actually I just modded the fork to operate without the poplock lever (de-activated the spring in the damper), and when I turn the compression all the way to lock out it works fine now. I think the poploc wasn't turning the compression all the way to 'lock'. so I don;t think any oil has leaked (yet). Isn't the 'pure' system their new damping/technology? I have the 05, don't know if their is a difference

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
cjcrashesalot said:
Actually I just modded the fork to operate without the poplock lever (de-activated the spring in the damper), and when I turn the compression all the way to lock out it works fine now. I think the poploc wasn't turning the compression all the way to 'lock'. so I don;t think any oil has leaked (yet). Isn't the 'pure' system their new damping/technology? I have the 05, don't know if their is a difference
The pure system has been around a while now, at least since '01 I think (?) and I guess actually all the RS damping is based on the same idea if I understand correctly. It comes down to a conical wedge blocking more or less of the oil flow through a valve. If the oil isn't filling the chamber, the top bit of the lockout will never really work.

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
Well if it helps, I've been doing some dirt jumping on my locked out PIKE, nothing too big though, for a while and it's still working perfectly.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yes, I've been jumping and riding urban and park locked out since I first got my first pike, over a year ago. No problems thus far.