Quantcast

Pike lowers question

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
why would you not just stick a 26" wheel in there??? That's what I've been doing on my AM bike and it hasn't exploded yet...sometimes I even KOM, bro.

Josef

Monkey
Apr 17, 2013
yes and no. the uppers have a different approach angle (probably not the right term but you get the point). The lowers will go on and the offset should be right. I ran a 26' in a 27.5 pike for a while with no adverse effects.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
yes and no. the uppers have a different approach angle (probably not the right term but you get the point). The lowers will go on and the offset should be right. I ran a 26' in a 27.5 pike for a while with no adverse effects.
Thanks, the DJ and RC can be found pretty cheap and I don't need the adjustments on the one bike, so hopefully it works.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My experience would suggest it doesn't work. I think the internals are different lengths. I once sent my 26" pike for a warranty rebuild as I'd blown the rebound assembly. It turns out the tech doing the work installed a 650b rebound assembly. For about 3 months I wasn't getting full travel and hearing a pretty loud clack at bottom out. I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I brought my fork to an aftermarket "tuner" who discovered the problem. So I sent it back to them and they replaced the assembly again, and it's been fine ever since.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
My experience would suggest it doesn't work. I think the internals are different lengths. I once sent my 26" pike for a warranty rebuild as I'd blown the rebound assembly. It turns out the tech doing the work installed a 650b rebound assembly. For about 3 months I wasn't getting full travel and hearing a pretty loud clack at bottom out. I couldn't figure out what the problem was until I brought my fork to an aftermarket "tuner" who discovered the problem. So I sent it back to them and they replaced the assembly again, and it's been fine ever since.
Alright, I'll probably just hold off and find something used. I was pushing to get it done in the next couple weeks. Anyone ridden a Pike DJ as a trail fork and can it be lowered to 120mm.