Quantcast

Pike Opinions

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
so as i do my tazer FS build im looking at forks. I currently have an 85-120mm 03 black on it, however my attention has turned to the RS Pike as a newer, do-it-all-with-the-ability-to-keep-the-same-100mm-fork-geo fork, keeping the travel low unless things get hairy and its needed. whats everyone experiance with pikes? and U-turn (since i havent touch it since the 02 psylo......)

RaID

Turbo Monkey
my 409 coil with U-turn has been indestructible, very tough and havent had any problems with anything. This includes regular usage of the Uturn. I have also been very happy with the damping for trail riding.

If I was to replace id look at the air version but cant comment on its performance and reliability

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've got a 2007 Pike 426 Dual Air U-Turn and love it. Most of the time it sits at 110mm on the hardtail.

Haven't used it since Nov 2008 (new baby as well I've been riding a different bike - Trek Fuel EX8) and it's barely lost any air.

I do prefer the Pike over the Fox Float 140RL that came on my Trek. Seems to handle compression a lot better, but it's hard to do a direct comparison because of the two different axles, rims, and wheels.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I've got an 08 454 Air U Turn on a commencal meta 4x and it is a great little fork. Having come of a Fox 32 TALAS I can say the Fox was impossible to set up to get a consistent feel, had loads of slop and was flexy.

The PIKE rocks.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
I have a Pike Dual Air , great performer but the reliability has been sub par. Defective disc tabs, leaking compression damper and failed negative air spring assembly after one season. Rock Shox has your LBS work as a middle man for warranty - SUX big time. I only keep the Pike beacuse it is the only dual air available.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I've got an 08 454 Air U Turn on a commencal meta 4x and it is a great little fork. Having come of a Fox 32 TALAS I can say the Fox was impossible to set up to get a consistent feel, had loads of slop and was flexy.

The PIKE rocks.
the new 15mm Foats are not flexy so the new Talas probably isn't either. I have heard nothing but good things about the 2010 Talas with Fit cartridge.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I had an old Pike Team, which was coil U-turn and it was the best fork I have ever owned. Wish I had it back. Great, great fork.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
My 2008 Pike got really cold one day, then I brought it inside and the internals cracked and locked out the fork. RS was good though and sent me a new one. Performance wise it's been awesome, no complaints

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I run a 409 coil U-Turn on my Ridge. I was having real problems with what I thought was too much flex and dive on braking, but it turns out that I was just running totally crap tires that would fold every time I'd try to turn.

Now that I have that sorted, the fork is really great. I would not hesitate to buy one again.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I have two 454's. Just changed the oil in the 4 season old one last night, the oil still looked new. I have beat the piss out of em they have been flawless except for wome leaking out of the moco one the newer one. Much better then my Boxxer's constantly leaking seals and moco damper.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Not sure how the Pike or any RS air fork is. Air fork wise I would stick with a Fox.
Well then, why don't you go sit in the corner and wait until someone asks about a Fox air fork to make a comment, mmmkay... :rant:

In my garage right now there are 4 Pikes - 2 air and 2 coil. They have been fairly bombproof, with the exception of 1 leak (damper side top cap) and 1 that needs new bushings (fork has been used regularly since '05). I was a little skeptical of how plush the Pike air would be after riding the coil for 3 years, but after a little dialing in, I'm happy with it. They've been used for everything from dh to dj and trail riding under my 185 lbs, and there's still no other fork on the market that really compares to them, IMO. As soon as I sell some stuff, at least one of them will be getting sent off to Push to see how much better it can be...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Ran a Pike 454 Air U-turn on my Iron Horse MkIII for about a year and a 1/2. Fantastic fork with gobs of adjustability and I never had a problem with it.

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I have an 08 454 Air U-turn on my hardtail trail bike. It's the first Rockshox fork I've ever bought. I'm well impressed. I've only had it about 6 months though but so far it's been mint. Easily adjustable for my weight, easy to dial in, light, well stiff, good damping. Perfect for my needs on that bike.
I like it a lot.

Thumbs up here :thumb: