Quantcast

Pike Race for DJing???

dv8cam

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Okay, I want a sub 5 pound 20mmTA 32mm stanchion fork with 3.5-5" travel that will mostly be used at 4". It needs to be strong enough to dirt jump on, but will not be used for crazy hucks. It will be run mostly at Kenter Whoops. These are past forks I have tried & why they did not work for me:

03 DJ1 - felt great, THE most plush fork, but wayyyy too heavy.

04 Firefly Sherman - Travel adjust broke on small doubles & got stuck in 5" travel - if it came stock with 4" it would have been perfect. Strong otherwise, but much more stiction than the DJ, even with no SPV going on.

04 Talas - super light, best quality finish & materials of the rest, but feels flexy landing bigger stuff (mostly because it is QR). Not as progressive as the DJ1 (will quickly eat through most of it's travel). Definitely will keep for racing 4x though. The lightest fork I am willing to use on a track. Loskout threshold knob sets it up a a SPV type platform for 4X starts.

02 Psylo SL - my first fork. It sucked all around.

Which brings me to the Pike. If it is anything like the psylo, forget it. If RS has done a 180 and made a great quality fork that can take DJ abuse, then I am interested. Has anyone tried it for DJing rather than just trail riding? Price not an issue - i found one for $360.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
No mang...
The pike is nothing like the psylo. It's a very well built fork, and I'd say it can handle DJ's just fine. From what i've seen, the maxle system works wonderfully, and the damping is plush and consistant. Being a first year fork though, it may have a few teething problems. Wait for a few months and let the reviews come in.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
i got a pike and it is very stiff and strong. have had it for about 2-3 months and have had no problems with it. i ride street, trail, and jump. great all around fork. only thing to remember is to get the springs that you need when you get the fork because there is no preload adjustment.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
scurban said:
buy my Nixon 32mm stanchions, and 4.3lbs
No more manipoos for me, unless they sponsor me & flow me product. I hear the 2005 manipoos are a bundle of nightmares. I broke a Sherman, anything weaker is just that, weaker.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
dexter said:
how the f did you break a sherman? i beat all 3 of mine to death and none have given me a hint of trouble.
The short travel setting broke over the smallest doubles you have ever seen. Manitou swore that the 2004s could be jumped on in the short setting but it is BS. This was the main reason I bought those forks. Once they break, they pop out of 3" and stay stuck in 5". 5" is too much travel for jumping rythms.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
Hopefully it is nothing like a Mangina. :p

It is what RS calls their new quick release 20mm axle set-up.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
well first off the serman broke because it has a travel reducer which is basically a hook that holds the fork so far into its travel if you jump with it like that the hook breaks

the maxle is basically a qr like on a regular hub that is inside a 20mm axle. on the right leg in the drop out is threading for the threads on the axle once that is tight you tighten the qr just like a regular wheel and close it.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
Welp, the manitou tech said jump away on it in reduced mode, so it basically is a suck ass design error.

skittles

Chimp
Dec 4, 2004
u shouldnt have problems with the pike
because they should have repair all the problems of the psylo