Quantcast

Pike?

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
im running a pike on my dirt jump bike, mainly keep it on lock out though. I have not experienced any trouble with it so far.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Riding it on lockout is a mistake, I rode a firefly on the 110mm climbing setting and broke the setting then did the same thing on a sherman flick. I think the lockout is for...climbing.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, lockout puts a lot of stress on the fork.

If you get one, get a stiff spring for it. They're pretty soft.

niguet

Monkey
Sep 11, 2005
i have a pike and i havent problems, well, i broke it, but it was because its a 2005 and had the lowers with the "bad" desing, now i have the lowers with the new desing and works great

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Riding it on lockout is a mistake, I rode a firefly on the 110mm climbing setting and broke the setting then did the same thing on a sherman flick. I think the lockout is for...climbing.
The lockout on a Pike and a Sherman are two completely different things, I think he meant he runs his at 95mm with full compression.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Yeah the new Rhox shocks have the Pop-loc system for lockout. I'm running it on my Revalation and really dig it.

Has anyone had problems with the new style Pop-loc failing on them?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
i've been running my pike sl for more then a year and haven't had one issue. i usually run it at 95 with nearly full compression. mine is actually really stiff....

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
The lockout on a Pike and a Sherman are two completely different things, I think he meant he runs his at 95mm with full compression.
exactly, and i love it that way. I first took it to Ray's and rode it like that for the most part.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, the lock-out on the Shermans was bunk, if you ravaged it on lockout you could break a little washer and you were screwed. I believe lockout on RS new designs is completely different than that, but I couldn't tell you if it would harm it or not...

I have seen where a dude customized his Pike with a Duke U-turn kit so he could run 63mm-108mm U-turn!!! that is effin' prime for DJ/street! if only you could make it nice and stiff...
426 with solid crown and chromo steerer is where it's at. You don't want the alu. steerer or hollow crown of 454.