Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Big Bend National Park, in southern Texas, was recently chosen as a
pilot project in the new partnership agreement between the National Park
Service and the International Mountain Biking Association. This groundbreaking
agreement could lead to the opening of new mountain biking
opportunities in Big Bend, as well as other park units.

Big Bend is currently conducting an evaluation of mountain biking as a
new activity. Public input is crucial to the outcome of this process.
Please write an e-mail message today that expresses your desire to see
opportunities for responsible riding at Big Bend.

E-mail comments should be filed before Jan. 30, 2006.
Bike advocates need to take action and make our voices heard. Direct
your comments to Superintendent John King: john_h_king@nps.gov

And to Management Assistant Lou Good: lou_good@nps.gov

OR CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT ONLINE http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?projectId=14611&documentID=13705

Listed below are several talking points to consider for your email.
Please emphasize that mountain bikers are vitally interested in resource
protection and are not interested in gaining access to areas currently managed as Wilderness. It is important to counter the argument that opening parks
to mountain biking will degrade the land or interfere with the experience
of other users.

Thanks for your input. Without strong public support for this project
we risk losing a great opportunity.

Big Bend Talking Points:

* Mountain bikers are not seeking access to areas in Big Bend already
managed as wilderness.

* Mountain biking has been shown to be a low-impact activity that is
compatible with traditional backcountry user groups.

* Mountain bikers are legitimate backcountry users that have a strong
resource protection ethic.

* Seeking access to sustainable trails for the purpose of enjoying the
backcountry.

* Big Bend already has great riding on dirt roads, but the addition of
shared-use trails would greatly enhance its appeal as a mountain biking
destination.

* Mountain bikers have an impressive history of volunteering to help
build and maintain trails open to MTB access. If you would be willing to
volunteer for trail building and maintenance of trails open to mountain biking,
please say so.

* If you live in Texas, please say so.

* If you would consider planning a mountain biking trip to Big Bend,
please say so.

Also, please consider attending these upcoming meetings, where
proponents and opponents of mountain biking in Big Bend will air their concerns:

Meeting 1:
Monday Jan. 30, 2006
7:00 pm
Sul Ross State University
Lowrance Hall Room #300
Alpine, Texas

Meeting 2:
Tuesday Jan. 31, 2006
Study Butte Community Center
(Behind the bank and post office)
Study Butte, Texas

Again, thanks for considering this appeal.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
This affects more than just us in Texas. They are starting with Big Bend because I imagine it is one of the least visited National Parks. If it works out, that could mean opening more of the National Parks to bikes.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wumpus said:
This affects more than just us in Texas. They are starting with Big Bend because I imagine it is one of the least visited National Parks. If it works out, that could mean opening more of the National Parks to bikes.
Yes i agree, i feel it's a great idea. There are many people who feel that Wilderness areas, and National Parks should be closed to mt. bikes right down the line with no exceptions. (yes i know Wilderness is a whole different can of worms...) i really don't understand that line of thinking, and welcome this news.

Different areas should be looked at case by case. There's always ways to make it work. And even i don't think EVERY trail or area should be open to mt. bikes, but there are so many trails that are closed to us for no valid reason.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Here's a nice little write up i did for the cause.

Hope things work out for ya down there.:)

Just a comment supporting the pilot program for Mountain Bicycling opportunities to be explored for Big Bend National Park in Texas. It is my understanding that responsible mt. biking is indeed a low impact recreation, and the possibility of expansion would be a positive decision in many many ways.

Here near Seattle our local IMBA sponsored club BBTC recently worked with the Forest Service to re-open a multi-use trail, Middle Fork Snoqualmie, to mt. bikes on odd numbered days and with seasonal closures. Right now the area has problems with illegal dumping, and thefts from parking areas, but with more and more persons recreating, all are in hope that the postive crowd will eventually be the eyes and ears to move out the negative aspects in the area. A success story in action really as there are a few Forest Service Rangers who are going to now patrol the trail and area on Mt. Bikes, THIS IS A FIRST! This opening is not permanant, but as time goes on i feel very confident that it will be made permanent. And the naysayers who evoked faulty claims of irresponsible mt. bikers, are exposed for making ignorant or out dated assumptions about us.

I am in hopes that trail access is to be explored, for it's my opinion that a unilateral decision against mt. bike access without evidence of negative impact, is truly silly.

As an avid mt. biker i hope this would lead to more access where appropriate, and that positive ramifications, from the decision would trickle down benefitting all.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Some areas should remain bike free always, but Id like to see the Natl. parks open their minds at least on MTBs. If nothing else, they could charge us and get some more revenue. Sounds like this is a step in the right direction.